Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,211 times

Advertisements

I am currently 6'3 260, but even when I was about 225-230, which isn't that overweight for my height, I still have a belly. Of course, my gut is big now, but I want to get back down to 225 to 230. Do I need to go low carb in order to flatten my belly? I don't need a six pack, just a flat stomach. I know it is about calories in, calories out, but people have been telling me to cut carbs but I enjoy white bread, pasta, and white rice too much. I don't really eat a lot of white bread or pasta, though. How do you get rid of a gut? Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? I have been advised to do that also but want to know what CD thinks of what I have been told.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 10:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
There is no specific diet that allows for weight to be lost in certain areas. Your body decides where it will lose weight from regardless of what yo eat.
People love to demonize carbs. But not all carbs are created equal. Focus on lean proteins, good fats like, whole grains, and lots off vegetables. Drink water. Lower your caloric intake - that is the key to losing weight. Eat less, move more.
Some people do well limiting carbs and and focus on proteins, fats and veggies. They do not eat anything made with grains. If you can live without those types of carbs then it may be a good choice for you. If however excluding food groups does not appeal to you then just eat a well balanced diet.
If you record everything you eat either by inputting into a calorie counter, or writing it down you will be able to closely monitor what you eat. It is the number one tool. My fitness pal and Spark People are really good sites to track your progress.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:44 AM

22,663 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Depends on the person........maybe you need to change-up and try something that you have not tried before???

Old 12-26-2017, 12:26 AM

373 posts, read 348,986 times
I'm in same boat I was bigger I dropped to 190 I felt great my stomach was flat and tight no abs but hard and felt good in public or ar the beach I started lifting because I was too scrawny and I'm 230-235 now but my stomach is puffy and bloated and the bottom part turned back into a roll that bulges in my pant line and is Betty uncompfortabkw and frustrating considering I am not overweight and am pretty lean

Old 12-26-2017, 01:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I'm a woman. I don't do low carb but my stomach is reasonably flat. I balance what I consume and burn. If I eat too much -of anything- my abs are the first to go. Weight lifting and cardio is the way to go for weight loss, along with caloric restriction. I eat white rice but I only eat 3/4 cup, along with a 1/4 cup of beans. Again, by eating sensible portions there's no gut. Monitor salt intake and sugar because both can bloat you up

Old 12-26-2017, 01:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I will always have a little "pooch" it's just my body type. Even when I weighed 99 pounds, still a little pooch.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
My husband lost 25 pounds, including belly fat, doing the Paleo diet, which is basically low carb. All of his lab numbers are better.

I lost about 6 pounds, mostly belly fat, doing clean eating, which also is basically low carb, but allows dairy where Paleo doesn't. I could have kept losing weight but I just wanted to get down to where my pants were fitting better.

I know it is about calories in, calories out, but people have been telling me to cut carbs but I enjoy white bread, pasta, and white rice too much.

OP, the first two weeks without these things is difficult, but then it gets a lot better. If you do one of the low carb diets, you really won't be hungry. The hardest thing for me was giving up processed sugar, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,369 times
I usually stick to eating high fat and protein foods. But low in calories and sodium. Everyday I eat either ground beef or steak. Since they get me full fast and don't contain lots of sodium and calories.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky7 View Post
I usually stick to eating high fat and protein foods. But low in calories and sodium. Everyday I eat either ground beef or steak. Since they get me full fast and don't contain lots of sodium and calories.
I love red meat, but I thought it was considered unhealthy. You might end up with heart problems from all that fat.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I love red meat, but I thought it was considered unhealthy. You might end up with heart problems from all that fat.
That is not necessarily true. As it turns out, the sugar lobby put a lot of energy into making fat a culprit, when it turns out that sugar may cause heart disease.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-blame-at-fat

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...e-201402067021

If you love red meat, I suggest that you give the Paleo diet a try. It's basically meat, vegetables, and fruit. No sugar, grains, dairy, white potatoes, or beer. Red wine is okay. You can eat as much as you want as long as it's the stuff allowed on the diet. As I said above, my husband lost 25 pounds and all of his labs improved.
The doctor told him to cut his cholesterol pills in half.

When he got to his goal weight, he added back in his beloved beer and the occasional burger and fries and has maintained it for about 6 months now.

Give it six weeks and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss