Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,547,459 times

Advertisements

I have lost a few pounds. In 2017, I lost 45 pounds. I did it by eating a sensible diet and exercising 5 times a week. However, the plan works when my wife cooks. She makes baked chicken, grilled chicken, lean-red meats, steamed vegetables.

Sometimes she gets tired of eating that way and will cook "normal" foods that people eat who are not trying to lose body fat and weight. She will fry some good meats, make cheesy lasagna's, chicken Alfredo, and desserts.

I have no will power to cook my own meals, when the family wants to eat regular. I need some encouragement and advice on how to get in the kitchen and cook my own meals when she does not want to cook healthy. Can someone give some easy suggestions? I think it will impress my wife and get my lazy butt in the kitchen if I just start.

I can cook. I can grill and bake. Not the best, but my family eats my food when I do cook...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,548,974 times
My thoughts, if you are eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly, you should be able to eat non-diet friendly meals as "one offs". I can relate to your wife, sometimes you just want a break and enjoy foods that may not be low calorie. If this is a regular occurrence with her, how about having one "cheat meal", where you enjoy the food she cooks, and then practice portion control other times. Or, you can practice portion control all of the time. At the end of the day, it is all about portions.

Now, as to cooking healthy meals on your own, there are plenty of resources available to you. marinaded grilled chicken is delicious. Go to any online recipe site and you'll find plenty of things to try that are easy to prepare. Cooking Light I've found to be a great resource. Broiled chicken is good as well too. I'm just giving chicken recipes because that's the meat I commonly eat. I've found bone-in thighs to be superior to breasts, even if they have more calories/fat. Once you see how easy it is, then you'll be fine. My husband was never the cook but when I got sidelined due to pregnancy, he became the de facto cook.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 AM

29,777 posts, read 34,531,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I have no will power to cook my own meals, when the family wants to eat regular. I need some encouragement and advice on how to get in the kitchen and cook my own meals when she does not want to cook healthy. Can someone give some easy suggestions? I think it will impress my wife and get my lazy butt in the kitchen if I just start.

I can cook. I can grill and bake. Not the best, but my family eats my food when I do cook...
Don't make it an excuse that you have "no will power." Your wife didn't magically spring forth with all of the knowledge she needed to plan and prepare healthy meals. She learned to do it. You can also learn to do it.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 AM

48,589 posts, read 35,055,571 times
Grill up some chicken and put it in the freezer for when you need a healthy meal. Add a vegetable and your done. You can put whatever flavor profile on the chicken when you reheat: citrus, herbs, salsa/spicy, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Don't make it an excuse that you have "no will power." Your wife didn't magically spring forth with all of the knowledge she needed to plan and prepare healthy meals. She learned to do it. You can also learn to do it.
True, but everyone is not a cook. I can learn, but it's hard for me for some reason. I would wash the dishes, clean and scrub the kitchen and take her out to eat three times a week if she would cook all the time, but she won't. It gets old. I really do understand her. Sometimes you just want "real" food.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,548,974 times
Quote:
True, but everyone is not a cook. I can learn, but it's hard for me for some reason. I would wash the dishes, clean and scrub the kitchen and take her out to eat three times a week if she would cook all the time, but she won't. It gets old. I really do understand her. Sometimes you just want "real" food.
so why not eat this "real food'?

Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,530,793 times
Try buying those big family size trays of chicken and other lean meats. Trim it and put it in freezer bags in one-meal portions.

When your family is going to eat something you'd rather not eat, take one out of the freezer the night before. If you're as cheap as I am, you'll cook it rather than let it go to waste.

Have bags of steamable frozen vegetables on hand. They take 8 - 15 minutes to cook and can easily be ready by the time your chicken is. I think they're quite good, and I eat the entire bag myself so no leftovers.

The Albertson's deli here sells boneless skinless breasts already cooked. Also, the baked chicken at Fred Meyer is pretty good. They sell it by the piece at the deli and in 8-piece containers near the deli. I wonder if they would take the skin off for you so that you don't need to use up willpower reserves to do that when you get it home?

Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,944,919 times
Quote:
It's really easy to bake chicken. I always use boneless, skinless breasts because my family won't eat dark meat. Here's how to do it: Line a baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup. Preheat the oven to 375. Get a gallon bag and put about two tablespoons olive oil inside, along with whatever seasonings you want. (McCormick makes a bunch of seasoning blends like brick oven or Montreal seasoning that are easy to use and taste great.) Open the package of chicken and cut off any bits that don't look appealing, sometimes there's a tough part along the edge or a bit of cartilage left where the wing was removed. Put the trimmed chicken pieces into the bag, hold it closed, and turn it over a few times until all the chicken has oil and seasonings. Put the chicken on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.

For the veggies, buy some of those steamable bags that go in the microwave for a few minutes. You can get all sorts of combinations and flavors. If you need a little bit of starch to go with it, those packets of flavored mashed potatoes that you just add boiling water to are really pretty good.

Instead of cooking your own food when your wife is making dinner and having to avoid the temptation to eat what she cooks, along with making twice as many dishes to wash, offer to cook for the family a couple nights a week. You'll be getting your healthy food and she'll be getting her days off from cooking. Tell her it's because you appreciate her so much and want to do your part, not because her food is too fattening, and you'll get bonus points for being a considerate husband.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
so why not eat this "real food'?
I struggle sometimes with portion control and I eat too much of it. Even though I exercise, I have not mastered eating sensibly when supper is homemade cheeseburgers and french fries.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Try buying those big family size trays of chicken and other lean meats. Trim it and put it in freezer bags in one-meal portions.

When your family is going to eat something you'd rather not eat, take one out of the freezer the night before. If you're as cheap as I am, you'll cook it rather than let it go to waste.

Have bags of steamable frozen vegetables on hand. They take 8 - 15 minutes to cook and can easily be ready by the time your chicken is. I think they're quite good, and I eat the entire bag myself so no leftovers.

The Albertson's deli here sells boneless skinless breasts already cooked. Also, the baked chicken at Fred Meyer is pretty good. They sell it by the piece at the deli and in 8-piece containers near the deli. I wonder if they would take the skin off for you so that you don't need to use up willpower reserves to do that when you get it home?
Thank you, great ideal suggesting the deli of a grocery store. That can work for me. I can buy bags of steamed vegetables as well. That's a baby step that makes sense for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss