Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,719,331 times

Advertisements

So, this weekend I decided to get back on my "wagon" and stop overeating. I put back on the 12 lbs I had lost last year. The holidays/birthday/cold weather have done a number on my good habits and here I am.

Generally for breakfast, I eat about 52 grams of shredded wheat in 1% milk. I also have a cup of tea with milk and a little sugar. Usually I feel okay after that breakfast. I am hungry by lunch, for sure, but I manage.

Over the weekend as I was researching better ways to eat, I thought it might be helpful to shake up my cereal habit and get a little more protein. I often eat 2 scrambled eggs on the weekend (cooked in olive oil with a little turkey sausage) and I do okay.

Since I have to eat at work and it needs to be somewhat portable, I came across a recipe for Muffin Tin Frittatas. I made them yesterday so I could carry them in and reheat. Two of these muffins give me about the same amount of calories as my cereal and milk (maybe 10 calories less). Yet, they have more protein.

Well, I ate them about 30 minutes ago and, honestly, I feel hungry now. Worse than usual. They were delicious, but I don't think this is going to work.

Has anyone ever heard of more protein making someone more hungry? I thought carbs did that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,504 times
Protein-focused food choices are commonly believed to provide an extended feeling of fullness. I typically eat two turkey sausage patties in the morning but mix in a cup of oatmeal into the rotation every few days and can't honestly tell you I notice a difference between the two.

However, when I feel hungry at times when that doesn't make sense, I fill up with water. I also find that if I quickly drink iced water it provides an almost instantaneous feeling of fullness which lasts for an hour or two. I'll also chew gum which also almost always helps.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So, this weekend I decided to get back on my "wagon" and stop overeating. I put back on the 12 lbs I had lost last year. The holidays/birthday/cold weather have done a number on my good habits and here I am.

Generally for breakfast, I eat about 52 grams of shredded wheat in 1% milk. I also have a cup of tea with milk and a little sugar. Usually I feel okay after that breakfast. I am hungry by lunch, for sure, but I manage.

Over the weekend as I was researching better ways to eat, I thought it might be helpful to shake up my cereal habit and get a little more protein. I often eat 2 scrambled eggs on the weekend (cooked in olive oil with a little turkey sausage) and I do okay.

Since I have to eat at work and it needs to be somewhat portable, I came across a recipe for Muffin Tin Frittatas. I made them yesterday so I could carry them in and reheat. Two of these muffins give me about the same amount of calories as my cereal and milk (maybe 10 calories less). Yet, they have more protein.

Well, I ate them about 30 minutes ago and, honestly, I feel hungry now. Worse than usual. They were delicious, but I don't think this is going to work.

Has anyone ever heard of more protein making someone more hungry? I thought carbs did that?
Whenever I eat a breakfast of eggs and bacon I do not last as long hunger-wise than if I eat oatmeal with blueberries and a few walnuts or avocado toast, or something that combines protein and carbs. I have always been mystified by this since it is hammered home that protein is more satiating than carbs. And for the most part it is. But the magic combination for me is whole grain, protein, and a little fat.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Well, I've made it to lunch. At about 9:15, I was actually feeling a little lightheaded. Never happens with the cereal.

I had my second cup of tea (it's about 16 oz) with a splash of milk and 2 tsp. sugar. It did cut the hunger a bit and I stopped feeling "off."

The egg frittatas had a small amount of milk, cheese, bacon, and broccoli (lots) in them.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:33 PM

88,953 posts, read 85,475,713 times
I carted two hard-boiled eggs to work for breakfast. Before I left home, though, I had a pea-protein shake with almond milk and berries. That's about 175, then the two eggs when I got to the office a couple of hours later.

Back to My Fitness Pal...

Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM

I'm going to try this again tomorrow (with the egg things). Then I'll do cereal the next day and see how it goes.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Protein by itself really doesn't fill me up either. Meat and veggies lasts all of 2-3 hours about the same as air popped popcorn. I drank a protein shake this morning with scrambled eggs and was full for three hours but that's because the protein shake is liquid and has more volume. If you want something to last longer you'll have to up the calories of the meal. Or you can adapt an every 2-3 hour eating plan like me which is timed to prevent hunger. I'm never hungry because I'm getting nourishment frequently. I might also suggest sipping on water frequently. That seems to do the trick as well. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Protein by itself really doesn't fill me up either. Meat and veggies lasts all of 2-3 hours about the same as air popped popcorn. I drank a protein shake this morning with scrambled eggs and was full for three hours but that's because the protein shake is liquid and has more volume. If you want something to last longer you'll have to up the calories of the meal. Or you can adapt an every 2-3 hour eating plan like me which is timed to prevent hunger. I'm never hungry because I'm getting nourishment frequently. I might also suggest sipping on water frequently. That seems to do the trick as well. Good luck!

Right now I'm working with 1450 calories per day. My breakfast needs to be about 220 calories because I like larger meals later in the day. I don't seem to feel as hungry in the morning (but obviously not the case yesterday!!).

I've tried doing the small meals thing; however, I am a volume eater so while I am never starving with that way of eating, I never feel satisfied either and I find I'm thinking of food all day. I guess I'm not a grazer. I do like my "big" dinner, such as it is!!

On the weekends I do drink a lot more water but here in the office, it is already FREEZING in here and when I have water I just get colder and colder. So I try to drink hot beverages more often--just need to lose the sugar. I'll get there.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,012,837 times
I actually drink nearly hot water when it is cold. Try it.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,587,712 times
OP, try eating half a banana with 1 tsp peanut butter. I find that helps with the hunger in the mornings.

I've also got to get back into eating properly to take the 10 pounds off that I've gained through the winter. 10 pounds is not much to lose, but yet so hard to lose. We go out for supper often and mostly I eat salads, but I get so sick of them. When I eat low calorie meals I never feel full and satiated. I obsess about my next meal.

Tonight, we're off to a Sushi restaurant to celebrate my daughter in law's 30th birthday. Oh oh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss