Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:20 PM

24 posts, read 25,839 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely addicted to sugar, my body acts like its on drugs if I do not have it. Yes I am a diabetic type 2 so i did this to myself over time. Now I'm an adult in my 40's and am sicking of always being tired and eating like crap. I am thinking of getting weight loss surgery but my hubby keeps reminding me that I have to change my eating habits or it will only be a temporary fix. I know this to be true because my sister had bipass surgery about 10 years ago and has gained a lot of the weight back over the years because she never changed her true long term eating habits! I am right at 35% BMI which is required for weight loss in my state when you have other factors like high blood pressure etc.

SOOOOOOO my question is has anyone found a true way to kick the sugar habit? I'm a carb and candy junkie....I kicked sodas years ago by starting with crystal light then moving into water so I know I'm capable of kicking sugar just haven't found out how yet. I've tried sugar free stuff but I can taste the chemicals if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
You will not like the answer but its to stop eating sugar. First get all of it out of your house in all of its forms. Stock your house with heathy foods. If you work plan to take a few days off. Then dont eat any sugar in any form for at least a month. You are going to feel like crap for the first few days. The good news is once it is out of your system you will start to feel really good.
Also, don't get any fake sugar stuff. Drink lots of water - plain water.
You are going to have to have a new relationship with food. You can succeed if you really want to.
You should also exercise. Find something you like to do. Walk, cycle, watch exercise videos, etc...
Be strong and keep your eye on the prize.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:24 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,678,733 times
I agree with Luckyd609. I have somewhat of a sweet tooth that can really take control of me.

In order to shake it, I had to stop eating sweets cold turkey. I still ate things that had natural sugar in them (yogurt, fruit, even some processed foods), but cutting out the overt junk made a huge differences. The cravings stopped in a few days. I did find that I also had to cut out most breads. I know they have sugar in them and I don't think of them as a dessert, but they would really get my cravings going.

I can now eat a little sugar. I have a Yasso Fudge Bar every night. I think it doesn't set me off because it's actually not all the "good." If I were to have a real bowl of ice cream or a piece of cake, that would be the end for me.

I also don't do artificial sweeteners because I don't like the taste. I do add a small amount of table sugar to my tea. Again, I can moderate to some degree, but if I start eating cookies, brownies, cake, etc. it's like I turn into a horrible sugar addict.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSliving View Post
I am absolutely addicted to sugar, my body acts like its on drugs if I do not have it. Yes I am a diabetic type 2 so i did this to myself over time. Now I'm an adult in my 40's and am sicking of always being tired and eating like crap. I am thinking of getting weight loss surgery but my hubby keeps reminding me that I have to change my eating habits or it will only be a temporary fix. I know this to be true because my sister had bipass surgery about 10 years ago and has gained a lot of the weight back over the years because she never changed her true long term eating habits! I am right at 35% BMI which is required for weight loss in my state when you have other factors like high blood pressure etc.

SOOOOOOO my question is has anyone found a true way to kick the sugar habit? I'm a carb and candy junkie....I kicked sodas years ago by starting with crystal light then moving into water so I know I'm capable of kicking sugar just haven't found out how yet. I've tried sugar free stuff but I can taste the chemicals if that makes sense.
Sugar is a drug and as you are diabetic you are doing yourself no favors by consuming it.
Continuing on your addiction to sugar you can expect these maladies to be in your future
Blindness
Kidney failure resulting in dialysis
potential for amputation of limbs
obesity and decreased mobility
an ever increasing amount of drugs and insulin in a futile attempt to curb the diabetes
lost sex drive.
edima mostly in legs
diabetic neuropathy
thyroid problems

Best course of action ? toss all sugar from your house, eat no more of it as its slowly killing you.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
I went low carb for a year, so I know that it only takes a few days to kick the sugar habit. You must avoid HIDDEN sugar as well. If I were diabetic, like OP, I would give my body this gift, for sure. You may find that you don’t need insulin anymore. Give up sugar and white flour for one month. I promise you you will feel SO much better that you will keep going. You can go to the Atkins website for guidance if you want.

You will lose weight, but that is just a side benefit of being healthier.

Now, I allow sugar and flour in my diet, but only once in awhile. I do not even like sweet foods very much.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,435,164 times
I'm a fellow sugar addict. And you are 100% correct, it IS like taking drugs ~ does the Exact same thing to your brain as Cocaine. https://www.addiction.com/3338/brain-sugar/ Dopamine

I quit the pop/soda addiction at about age 28 or so. From a gallon of the stuff daily to nearly none (less than one 12~16oz drink per month). At about 32 I was the heaviest I've been, my wife too, thanks to daily baking and tons of sweets. We stopped cold turkey, jumped right into the P90x program. That was a bit extreme, but it had the desired effect. We cut 99% of processed carbs (meaning nearly everything that doesn't occur naturally... fruit and veg, no juice though) for the first month and then Slowly re-introduced them over the following 2 months while also doing an hour of exercise a day.

It's been nearly 20 years since then, and neither of us has even approached the old weight. Actually, I weigh less now than I did in high school, wear smaller clothes too ~ and have for the better part of a decade. I'm not claiming this is the Best way, and it's Certainly not the only way..... you need to find your own way.

That starts with the decision that you want to change. It requires the understanding that you have spent YEARS getting to where you are now, and it will take time to correct course ~ there is NO quick fix. You've pointed that out by talking about your sister. It is a Lifestyle change, a change to you that has to last the rest of your life. Sounds scary and daunting, I'm sure, but rest assured that millions of people have gone before you with success, and millions more will come behind you with success. Start small, write down 3 goals. One for the end of this week (and when that expires, one for the following week, etc...), one for 3~4 months from now and one for a year from now. Tangible things, I'm not a fan of using scales/weight (just a personal thing, sends the wrong message) but it can work, perhaps insulin/blood sugar levels, clothes that used to fit but don't. Anyway, write those down and put them somewhere you will see them Daily. A mirror in the bathroom, the fridge, in your car, where ever. Understanding where you want to get to is important.

As for the "how", that's something you have to decide. If you have the money, hire a dietitian/personal chef. If you don't, then learn to cook with the focus on "from scratch". Honestly, the "how" is the easier of the 2 parts... it's the decision that you need to make a change and will Stick to that change that's hard.

And don't worry, it's not like you have to Completely abandon delicious treats for the rest of your life. You don't. It's learning to have them in moderation, where they are something Special, to be savored and enjoyed, rather than just something to consume mindlessly. I absolutely LOVE cookies. I remember one Christmas a year or two before my own decision to change, where I made 6 batches.... a batch is ~54 cookies. I made over 300 cookies, for 2 people. Now days? I've scaled my recipe back so only 1 dozen cookies are made, and I make some about 3 or 4 times a year. I have completely eliminated baking breads, and I hate that as I still love bread... but it's one of those things where if I have good bread, I just can't restrain myself. So I treat myself once or twice a year by going out to eat where I can get some of the best there is to be found. I've made a change from Quantity to Quality, while also being Mindful. What that means in more simple terms is that instead of eating lots of whatever quality, I eat less but try to make sure it's the Best quality. And while eating it, I pay attention to the fact that I'm eating it... no distractions like a phone, computer, TV, driving, etc. I make sure that I enjoy the experience as much as possible, with as few distractions as possible.

Anyway, I know this is rambling, I hope it at least helps a Little, in some way. Best of luck on your journey.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm a fellow sugar addict. And you are 100% correct, it IS like taking drugs ~ does the Exact same thing to your brain as Cocaine. https://www.addiction.com/3338/brain-sugar/ Dopamine

I quit the pop/soda addiction at about age 28 or so.
Same with me, except I quit drinking pop/soda at 26. I'm 60 now.

When I eat non-vegetable carbs, my sugar cravings come back and they are pretty powerful.

I don't have any cravings at all as long as I eat plenty of protein and fats.

My younger brother is also a sugar addict, but thought it wouldn't harm him. Now he's 56 with high blood pressure and a full diabetic, overweight and at high risk for heart disease. Same with my ex-husband.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I quit the pop/soda addiction at about age 28 or so. From a gallon of the stuff daily to nearly none (less than one 12~16oz drink per month). At about 32 I was the heaviest I've been, my wife too, thanks to daily baking and tons of sweets. We stopped cold turkey, jumped right into the P90x program. That was a bit extreme, but it had the desired effect. We cut 99% of processed carbs (meaning nearly everything that doesn't occur naturally... fruit and veg, no juice though) for the first month and then Slowly re-introduced them over the following 2 months while also doing an hour of exercise a day.

It's been nearly 20 years since then, and neither of us has even approached the old weight. Actually, I weigh less now than I did in high school, wear smaller clothes too ~ and have for the better part of a decade. I'm not claiming this is the Best way, and it's Certainly not the only way..... you need to find your own way.

That starts with the decision that you want to change. It requires the understanding that you have spent YEARS getting to where you are now, and it will take time to correct course ~ there is NO quick fix. You've pointed that out by talking about your sister. It is a Lifestyle change, a change to you that has to last the rest of your life. Sounds scary and daunting, I'm sure, but rest assured that millions of people have gone before you with success, and millions more will come behind you with success. Start small, write down 3 goals. One for the end of this week (and when that expires, one for the following week, etc...), one for 3~4 months from now and one for a year from now. Tangible things, I'm not a fan of using scales/weight (just a personal thing, sends the wrong message) but it can work, perhaps insulin/blood sugar levels, clothes that used to fit but don't. Anyway, write those down and put them somewhere you will see them Daily. A mirror in the bathroom, the fridge, in your car, where ever. Understanding where you want to get to is important.

As for the "how", that's something you have to decide. If you have the money, hire a dietitian/personal chef. If you don't, then learn to cook with the focus on "from scratch". Honestly, the "how" is the easier of the 2 parts... it's the decision that you need to make a change and will Stick to that change that's hard.

And don't worry, it's not like you have to Completely abandon delicious treats for the rest of your life. You don't. It's learning to have them in moderation, where they are something Special, to be savored and enjoyed, rather than just something to consume mindlessly. I absolutely LOVE cookies. I remember one Christmas a year or two before my own decision to change, where I made 6 batches.... a batch is ~54 cookies. I made over 300 cookies, for 2 people. Now days? I've scaled my recipe back so only 1 dozen cookies are made, and I make some about 3 or 4 times a year. I have completely eliminated baking breads, and I hate that as I still love bread... but it's one of those things where if I have good bread, I just can't restrain myself. So I treat myself once or twice a year by going out to eat where I can get some of the best there is to be found. I've made a change from Quantity to Quality, while also being Mindful. What that means in more simple terms is that instead of eating lots of whatever quality, I eat less but try to make sure it's the Best quality. And while eating it, I pay attention to the fact that I'm eating it... no distractions like a phone, computer, TV, driving, etc. I make sure that I enjoy the experience as much as possible, with as few distractions as possible.

Anyway, I know this is rambling, I hope it at least helps a Little, in some way. Best of luck on your journey.
This. I admit that I am not diabetic. I haven't stricken sugar from my diet but as with everything, it is controlled. You have to regain control. Do not turn to sweets as a substitute for other things. Since you are actually diabetic, unfortunately carbs have to be controlled. When i had gestational diabetes, I had to pair carbs with proteins to maintain my blood sugar.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:45 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I went low carb for a year, so I know that it only takes a few days to kick the sugar habit. You must avoid HIDDEN sugar as well. If I were diabetic, like OP, I would give my body this gift, for sure. You may find that you don’t need insulin anymore. Give up sugar and white flour for one month. I promise you you will feel SO much better that you will keep going. You can go to the Atkins website for guidance if you want.

You will lose weight, but that is just a side benefit of being healthier.

Now, I allow sugar and flour in my diet, but only once in awhile. I do not even like sweet foods very much.
I was also going to say (my battery died) that “diet foods” with artificial sweeteners are like poison, and contain more calories than real food....plus, they don’t even taste good. I’d rather see you eat a big piece of cake, or a plate of pasta once in awhile than to eat things like white bread, or any convenience foods on a daily basis. Read labels on everything.

Good for you for kicking the soda habit!

If you’re dying for a slice of bread, look for Ezekiel breads or any of the new high fiber, low carb breads. Dave’s Killer Breads is another good one.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
We are the only ones that can lick the sugar habit...if you live long enough the consequences are dear. I have a mouth of dental work to prove from my first half of my life... I have taken a lot out of my diet but don't deprive myself but don't want diabetes.

For me, it was FINALLY walking by the candy at the check out counters in the stores...talk about temptations. Then along the years, I just STOPPED bringing breads into my house, it's been about 10 yrs now and I have no plans to bring them in. I use beautiful green romaine lettuce leaves as my "bread" for the meat and cheese sandwiches.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-13-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss