Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For me, though portion control is of course important, counting calories didn't and doesn't work like just completely eliminating some foods. Once my addiction to many carbs found in "white foods" (wheat, pasta, sugar basically) was broken, I don't even EVEN want them now. If I try to add them back in, like I tried at first (four months ago), I bloat up, get gas, gain weight, etc. If I cut them out, I lose weight. It's pretty simple for me.

So I've lost over 31 lbs in four months and haven't counted a single calorie.

At first I really watched portions even of things like broccoli, asparagus, etc. Never worried about portion size on stuff like tomatoes, spinach, etc. Now I just eat what I want of most low starch veggies. And by adding in only one food at a time, I'm able to gauge what my body's reaction is to each food. For instance, I can't eat wheat, but I can eat a small baked potato - WITH greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and a sprinkling of cheese, and a bit of bacon on it. But I can't eat half a slice of dry toast. Go figgur! I can also eat about a fourth a cup of rice, which is helpful if we go out to eat and end up at an Asian restaurant, which is usually sort of problematic due to the sodium - Asian and Italian cuisines are the most challenging but I truly can find something to eat anywhere.

Found out I can eat tortilla chips and queso in small portions too, without blowing up like a blowfish. But not avocado. Once again, go figgur.

My point is, once again, everyone is different. It's not as simple as "calories in, calories out." Different bodies react to different foods in different ways. Common sense tells you that portion control is PART of the equation but it's not all of it.
Great post! Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, and it also is very helpful to me to drink lots of water. In fact, anytime I'm "hungry," I drink a bottle of water first - THEN let it settle and if I'm still hungry I eat a small amount of protein (if it's between meals). Protein is what really knocks the hunger out without a carb rush and then crash, for me anyway.

Nut butters are especially helpful for hunger between meals. I or 2 teaspoons and about 20 ounces of water and VOILA - no more hunger!

Hunger is often thirst in disguise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 476 times
Im a 24 year old guy and I've been trying to lose some weight and trying to learn more about it. I've read tons on the subject and below I'll list a few pages that helped a lot.

[url]https://redteaweightlossdetox.wordpress.com/blog/[/url]

[url]https://www.redbookmag.com/body/health-fitness/advice/g643/burn-fat-yl/[/url]

[url]https://www.dailystar.co.uk/diet-fitness/612303/How-to-lose-weight-fast-diet-plan-Military-Diet-three-day[/url]

Old 06-26-2018, 11:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
I crossed the 60 yo barrier and was struggling with diabetes, high cholesterol, overweight, etc. Last August, I read "The Plant Paradox" by Dr. Gundry. I implemented the recommendations probably at the level of 85% and since that time, I've lost all of the excess eight I had to where I am in the perfect BMI weight, stomach is trim and taut, body fat is 10%, muscle is off the charts for my age, cholesterol excellent, glucose fine.

My Dr. read the book and has implemented the diet after I became her first patient that completely reverse diabetes without taking any medications.

I find it pretty easy to maintain too. Sometimes I eat things I know I shouldn't but just get back on the program and all is well (as far as I and my Dr. can tell)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss