Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 674 times

Advertisements

I'm interesting in hearing from people who have, more or less, maintained a healthy weight throughout their adult lives. How did you?

Obviously we all understanding that maintaining a healthy weight means limiting food intake (whether it's certain foods, or amount of food, usually both) as well as (usually) staying active.

I'm curious about more specific strategies you've employed to make that happen. I'd also be interested in hearing from people who have been consistently successful, but who struggled with their bodyweight at a certain point.

Basically, this isn't really my forte.

I have been thin before, but my methods have been questionable at best. Everything from the sheer willpower of eating very minimally and supplimenting the food cravings with flavored water and gum (that was probably the most effective ~5 years...), to various kinds of restrictive "healthy" diets that have been short-lived. While I want to maintain a healthy weight, I really do, I just don't care as much as I used to, so the sheer willpower isn't enough. I also know that something which requires me to think about my diet all the darn time (e.g., calorie counting) is going to burn me out extremely quickly.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,988,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesAreCoolDon'tYouAgree View Post
I also know that something which requires me to think about my diet all the darn time (e.g., calorie counting) is going to burn me out extremely quickly.
That's how I do it, and it really isn't that hard.

It's much easier to count calories regularly and stay slim than it is to struggle to lose weight that you've gained by taking in too many calories. Years ago, I figured out my daily calorie intake to maintain my weight, and now I actually only count calories for a couple of days every few months just to make sure I'm on track. Myfitnesspal.com makes it pretty simple.

I've never been overweight, and this is why.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
I think the number one thing that keeps me at the weight I want is vanity. Being a woman I have gone up and down with 10 pounds for the most part I have never gone past that except at one point I gained 30 pounds and that was my lowest point. My vanity kicked in and I no longer wanted to be wearing the size jeans I was wearing. The upside of being vain is that you get the health benefits that go along with being at a healthy weight. I had one trainer that was very funny. He said in his experiences the majority of the people who came to him and wanted to lose weight and get into shape is because they wanted to get laid. There is something to that.

Getting in shape comes down to two reasons, vanity and wanting to look good or health - lose weight or be very sick.

Whatever gets you to the point of wanting to be healthy and fit is not important. The fact that you got there and where able to make the changes and work for it does.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:42 AM

5,194 posts, read 3,120,686 times
Restrict carbs to half the "recommended" daily allotment, no more than 150 g per day. Get moderate exercise at least 2-3 times a week (10K steps, swim 1/2 hour, bike 25 miles, etc.)

Old 05-04-2018, 09:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
When I was in my twenties, I was thin.

Then I had a weight problem for the next ten years due to the usual suspects (overeating and pregnancy weight gain that never really came off)

At forty I decided to do something about it and lost 70 lbs total. I'm lean and fit, which is where I really want to be rather than just being thin. I want to push myself more now.

I did it through calorie counting and exercise. I exercise four days a week, cardio and lifting weights. I eat sugar, carbs, fat..I just try and stick to a caloric budget. Most of all I try to move as much as possible. When I'm not working out, I literally feel awful. As a result of this, I've maintained my weight range for over a year. It's not easy though and I am constantly battling my reality, which is middle age. I have to work harder to achieve and keep my results. I also have lots of things eating up my time. I just try the best I can.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 AM

102,247 posts, read 108,166,150 times
"...throughout their adult lives"? How old are you, OP? I don't feel weight gain is a problem, certainly not to the point of having to restrict calories, for too many people under 50 or 55. If you lead an active life, and don't overeat, and have a balanced, healthy diet, you shouldn't have a problem. I could speculate, that my stable weight has been helped by the fact that I haven't had a car until recently, and walked everywhere, or took the bus, but my friends who drive to work and to the grocery store have had no problem maintaining their healthy weight, either. Just don't eat sweets excessively, keep starch portions low. Get in a daily walk, go to the gym.

Now, if you're asking about how to maintain weight later in life, in late middle-age and beyond, that's a different ballgame, and that information would definitely be very valuable. Could you clarify your question a little? Are you aiming at a certain age group? Or are you from a part of a country that traditionally eats fried foods and a lot of starches?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"...throughout their adult lives"? How old are you, OP? I don't feel weight gain is a problem, certainly not to the point of having to restrict calories, for too many people under 50 or 55. If you lead an active life, and don't overeat, and have a balanced, healthy diet, you shouldn't have a problem. I could speculate, that my stable weight has been helped by the fact that I haven't had a car until recently, and walked everywhere, or took the bus, but my friends who drive to work and to the grocery store have had no problem maintaining their healthy weight, either. Just don't eat sweets excessively, keep starch portions low. Get in a daily walk, go to the gym.

Now, if you're asking about how to maintain weight later in life, in late middle-age and beyond, that's a different ballgame, and that information would definitely be very valuable. Could you clarify your question a little? Are you aiming at a certain age group? Or are you from a part of a country that traditionally eats fried foods and a lot of starches?
Weight gain can be a problem at any stage of life. its not a given that if you are below 50 that you'll be thin. The diet industry wouldn't be in the billions of dollars if weight gain wasn't a problem. People SHOULD restrict calories/watch what they eat.

Most people are not active.

Starches aren't what makes people fat.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:38 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Weight gain can be a problem at any stage of life. its not a given that if you are below 50 that you'll be thin. The diet industry wouldn't be in the billions of dollars if weight gain wasn't a problem. People SHOULD restrict calories/watch what they eat.

Most people are not active.

Starches aren't what makes people fat.
Cant rep you anymore - too many. So a thumbs up it is.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,246,232 times
I'm not big on calorie-counting; nothing against it, but because I have to strictly limit certain foods for health/medical reasons, for me it is too tedious to have to keep track of calories on top of that. But I am conscious about portion sizes: palm-sized portion of protein, cupped hand-size portion of grains or starches, fist-sized portions of vegetables and fruit, thumbnail-sized portion of fats. I don't have a sweet tooth, so desserts, sweet snacks, or drinks are a very rare occurrence. A couple of glasses of wine or beer on the weekends or at an event, but nothing in excess.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:15 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,654,149 times
If it tastes super-yummy, I do not eat it very often.

Structure, only intake 3 meals a day, no snacking, no other calories.

Have my last meal done by 5pm and do not eat again until at least 7am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss