Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:59 PM

227 posts, read 247,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This isnt too bad, but the OP is looking for "LOW SUGAR". When you consider that one small mango has approx 28g of sugar then you add, honey, and yogurt then the sugar count goes up a bit. Consider this, one mango has 28g of sugar compared to one can of coke which has 38g of sugar. That is a LOT. Bananas have even MORE sugar than mango, which is why for my shakes I only use 1/4 of the banana.

This is why I always say that shakes/smoothies should be primarily vegetables.
I will say that I need to at least like the taste of the smoothie. All veggies is a no for me. There has to be a little bit of sweetness to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
No specific recipe but you need veggies in it to cut the sugar content. Spinach works very well, as does zucchini and cucumbers.

You can add oats and nuts, and if you have a vitamix or similar it will make it smooth. I would also add fresh ginger (which I love) which will subdue any veggie flavor.

Otherwise all the stuff others have said, yogurt, berries and such.

I make a protein smoothie shake for dessert. I freeze coconut water, chocolate soy milk, almond milk (all low sugar), mix in a cup of protein powder, unsweetened powdered cocoa or peanut powder, and almond extract (or other extract), and a milk, regular or nut. It is very satisfying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I will say that I need to at least like the taste of the smoothie. All veggies is a no for me. There has to be a little bit of sweetness to it.
Use vanilla almond milk. Its a much better alternative than loading up on all that sugar that is contained in fruit. Fruit is NOT A FREE FOOD!!!

Best ways to "sweeten" a HEALTHY shake and keep the sugar content low:

1. Use vanilla almond milk.
2. Use flavored protein powder.
3. Spoon of RAW UNFILTERED Buckwheat honey.
4. Fruit. But use MINIMAL fruit. 5 blueberries or 1/4 banana or 2 strawberries.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
This isnt too bad, but the OP is looking for "LOW SUGAR". When you consider that one small mango has approx 28g of sugar then you add, honey, and yogurt then the sugar count goes up a bit. Consider this, one mango has 28g of sugar compared to one can of coke which has 38g of sugar. That is a LOT. Bananas have even MORE sugar than mango, which is why for my shakes I only use 1/4 of the banana.

This is why I always say that shakes/smoothies should be primarily vegetables.
Though the title of the thread mentions low sugar, I was addressing the OP's post which was, in full:

Quote:
I posted this under “Food and Drink,” but this may be a better forum for my question...(Please delete if necessary as I don’t know which forum will give me the best advice).

I’m brand new to the smoothie world. I’m starting to change my eating habits and need ideas for great tasting smoothies for breakfast (it will act as a meal replacement). I’m also in the process of losing 30lbs, so these drinks must be super healthy. Can anyone suggest good smoothie recipes?
Considering that I've lost over 30 pounds since February, incorporating the great tasting and healthy smoothie that I gave details for, several times a week, I figured that my input was appropriate, and I still feel that way.

I also went into great detail regarding other details of my overall diet plan because in my opinion, there is a big health difference between refined sugars, corn syrup, and other processed sweeteners, and natural form sugars from fruits, honey, etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Use vanilla almond milk. Its a much better alternative than loading up on all that sugar that is contained in fruit. Fruit is NOT A FREE FOOD!!!

Best ways to "sweeten" a HEALTHY shake and keep the sugar content low:

1. Use vanilla almond milk.
2. Use flavored protein powder.
3. Spoon of RAW UNFILTERED Buckwheat honey.
4. Fruit. But use MINIMAL fruit. 5 blueberries or 1/4 banana or 2 strawberries.
Vanilla almond milk and regular milk have the same sugar content. I go with the unflavored which is lower (or no) sugar.

I add sweetener to taste, as I like less sugar.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I also went into great detail regarding other details of my overall diet plan because in my opinion, there is a big health difference between refined sugars, corn syrup, and other processed sweeteners, and natural form sugars from fruits, honey, etc.
I concur with that opinion. I encourage my kids to eat whole, raw fruit instead of garbage like candy. Fruit is nature's way of satisfying sweet urges without sacrificing nutrition. A cup of blueberries for example (and it takes a lot to equal a cup) is only 80 calories and has 4 g of fiber. it has antioxidants and lots of vitamin C.

Strawberries have only 46 calories per cup and are high in Vitamin C.

Mangoes weigh in at 90 calories for an entire fruit but they are PACKED with beta carotene and Vitamin C. To give a comparison, a small rice crispies treat is 90 and offers zilch.

(what I'm typing hereon is not based on your post Kathryn ) There is nothing wrong with liking sweet things. Mankind loves sweet and salt. And yes, since fruit has calories, that should be taken into consideration. but the nutrition payout is good and if more people ate fresh, whole fruit instead of chocolate to satisfy their need for sweets, that'd be a good thing.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Vanilla almond milk and regular milk have the same sugar content. I go with the unflavored which is lower (or no) sugar.

I add sweetener to taste, as I like less sugar.
The non-dairy "milks" taste like what they are - flavored water

I drink Muscle Milk and while I like that it is 100 calories and not a lot of sugar, it compensates by using the artificial sweetner acesulfame potassium (k) and tastes like soy flavored water. VERY watery.

Unfortunately when I drink almond/soy milk it'd always be the vanilla flavored.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The non-dairy "milks" taste like what they are - flavored water

I drink Muscle Milk and while I like that it is 100 calories and not a lot of sugar, it compensates by using the artificial sweetner acesulfame potassium (k) and tastes like soy flavored water. VERY watery.

Unfortunately when I drink almond/soy milk it'd always be the vanilla flavored.
I don't disagree! I could never put that stuff on cereal or drink a glass. But in a smoothie, it's a great way to reduce the sugar and you don't really taste the difference.

We drink the powder type of protein drinks (we are retired and have more time ) and they have artificial sweeteners.... couldn't tolerate them without, and they STILL aren't that great.

When working and stuff we used the muscle milk for their convenience..... they were good!!

While I never ate a lot of sugar (or junk food) my diet is much more cognizant of sugar content now because of blood sugar issues. That's the only reason.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
I concur with that opinion. I encourage my kids to eat whole, raw fruit instead of garbage like candy. Fruit is nature's way of satisfying sweet urges without sacrificing nutrition. A cup of blueberries for example (and it takes a lot to equal a cup) is only 80 calories and has 4 g of fiber. it has antioxidants and lots of vitamin C.

Strawberries have only 46 calories per cup and are high in Vitamin C.

Mangoes weigh in at 90 calories for an entire fruit but they are PACKED with beta carotene and Vitamin C. To give a comparison, a small rice crispies treat is 90 and offers zilch.

(what I'm typing hereon is not based on your post Kathryn ) There is nothing wrong with liking sweet things. Mankind loves sweet and salt. And yes, since fruit has calories, that should be taken into consideration. but the nutrition payout is good and if more people ate fresh, whole fruit instead of chocolate to satisfy their need for sweets, that'd be a good thing.
Amen and amen!

Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
I encourage my kids to eat whole, raw fruit instead of garbage like candy. Fruit is nature's way of satisfying sweet urges without sacrificing nutrition. A cup of blueberries for example (and it takes a lot to equal a cup) is only 80 calories and has 4 g of fiber. it has antioxidants and lots of vitamin C.
This is good. My kid is only 10 so instead of "encouraging" her, we "tell" her what to eat and back it up with facts on nutrition. There are only 15g of sugar in that cup of blueberries. One of her favorite snacks that she requests is a bowl of raw baby leaf spinach with a few blueberries or raspberries in it. The thing we have to remember with kids that is soooooo different than with adults is that kids need the calories because they are growing and very active. Adults, well we all know what too many calories lead to in them.

I have always argued against smoothies for adults for weight loss because its just too easy to screw things up. They are GREAT for weight/muscle gain though. But weight loss you almost always see people fail with their smoothies. Mainly because instead of making something healthy, they turn it into some dessert type treat thing loaded in sugar. If people can make it work, good for them, but for most people, it is very very very difficult to do.

Quote:
But compare the 46g of sugar in one mango versus the only 9g of sugar in one Rice Krispy treat. That is crazy. Oh, my kid doesnt eat rice krispy treats either. Im not saying the Krispy treat is better, Im just saying that people need to look at sugar content, cals and nutritional benefit.

Quote:
Totally agree. But, in 99.9999% of the people who are overweight and need to lose weight, a MAJOR contributing factor to their weight is their inability to control their sugar/sweet intake. This is why I strongly advise to stay away from them when needing to lose weight. Veggie shakes are totally okay though.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 06-08-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss