Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

Hello, nice to be a part of this forum guys!I really need some help. First of all, W:89Kilos H:1metr & 80 cm and I am 15 years old(ima boy) .You may consider that like 'not that bad or just ok' but it really isnt.I have tried everything from Veganism to Paleo but nothing seemed to work :'(
I have never been body shamed by anyone but my own family.I think they are just joking but it really isnt something you want to hear from your family..
I have tried Volleyball and gym but they didnt seem to work either.. I wouldnt say that I am very lazy nor an enthusiast but if there is something thats gonna work I will do it. I also have 0 confidence and I am a very negative person(i am really trying to fix those 2 really hard, i think that losing weight would help). Would going to a nutrition doctor(idk what they are called actually in english) help? Anything like a diet I should try? (Now that is summer i dont actually need that much energy like I did back to the school days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,505,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenXIV View Post
Hello, nice to be a part of this forum guys!I really need some help. First of all, W:89Kilos H:1metr & 80 cm and I am 15 years old(ima boy) .You may consider that like 'not that bad or just ok' but it really isnt.I have tried everything from Veganism to Paleo but nothing seemed to work :'(
I have never been body shamed by anyone but my own family.I think they are just joking but it really isnt something you want to hear from your family..
I have tried Volleyball and gym but they didnt seem to work either.. I wouldnt say that I am very lazy nor an enthusiast but if there is something thats gonna work I will do it. I also have 0 confidence and I am a very negative person(i am really trying to fix those 2 really hard, i think that losing weight would help). Would going to a nutrition doctor(idk what they are called actually in english) help? Anything like a diet I should try? (Now that is summer i dont actually need that much energy like I did back to the school days.
Intermittent Fasting coupled with a low(er) carb diet may be your answer. The answer may be more obvious than you realize. Eat less often and change the type of food you are eating and keep exercising. The exercise usually does not burn that many calories but it is still important for several reasons.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 AM

22,681 posts, read 24,677,688 times
What has worked for me and seems quite easy:

At least 90% of the time, eat high-quality foods at an appropriate calorie-level. I allow myself a MAXIMUM of 2 cheat-meals a week.............a cheat-day for me would and has turned disastrous.

Do not consume caloric beverages

Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking or any other calories.

Be honest, if you are overeating (even if it is "healthy foods), recognize it and make a conscious decision to resist overeating. NOPE, I never "needed" to eat a whole chicken for dinner.....yummy, but way too much.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,710,293 times
Hi Vixen!

Don't give up...

Let's start here:

What are you eating that you KNOW isn't healthy?

What do you drink? Any soft drinks or other sugared drinks?

Do you snack? What on?

How many servings of fruit and vegetables do you eat a day?

How many servings of fried foods?

How many servings of fast food?

How many servings of baked goods such as donuts, cakes, pie or candy, ice cream?

Do you measure or weigh your food portions?

I bet you know what's wrong with your diet. The question is, do you have the will to change? Maybe you need the strength of a group such as Weight Watchers.

Exercise is great and goes hand-in-hand with a healthy life. But first you've got to adopt a healthy life-long eating plan.

You can't out-run your fork. I've found out a half hour of brisk walking on the treadmill burns 150 calories for me. A big bowl of ice cream can be 400 calories. I lost the race.

Lesson?

No ice cream or a tiny portion of a couple of tablespoons for a treat.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,251,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenXIV View Post
I read "the Plant Paradox" by Dr. Gundry and is has changed my life. I was about 40 lbs overweight and I've lost all of the 40 and find it easy to maintain that loss. My bodyfat dropped below 10% and muscle mass is at the level of a professional athlete. I can't recommend strongly enough to read the book and it least try the diet plan.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2018, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,747 times
I understand your struggle. My biggest obstacle to overcome was "finding motivation". Finding the motivation to make healthier choices and get up and moving. I use to make a lot of excuses on why I can't hit the gym today or why I'll just eat that I ice cream today. I noticed I would make excuses on average 5 days a week and I realized I needed to stop and just do it.

Some things that have helped me:

* Eat balanced meals 3x a day with healthy snacks in between. Make sure to eat those snacks so that your body feels full and you don't have those sudden cravings for sweets. Eating too little will cause your body to do the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Provide your body nutritious meals with adequate calories.

* Add a cardio and strength training routine. Strenght training is important for building lean muscle which will help you lose weight. Muscles burn more calories even during periods of rest and sleep.

* Make lifestyle changes - take the stairs, exclude sugary beverages, take a stroll and enjoy the outdoors.

* Detoxifying your body helps rid your body of toxins that slow your metabolism. If you are interested, I can share with you an e-book that I got for free that talks about all the benefits of detox and how it affects your metabolism and your body's ability to burn fat. Message me and I can send it to you.

* Drinking plenty of water and tea in place of sweet, unhealthy beverages. There are teas that help boost your immune system, overall health, and help with weight-loss.

* Having a friend or family member who will do this with you may help keep you motivated.

* Don't focus on the scale. For me, I find the scale to be counter-productive. It usually makes me feel as if I am not accomplishing much. Fat weighs less than muscles so if you workout, you are building muscles which in turn may make you weigh more. Go with inches and how your clothes fit. These are a better reflection of progress.

* Lastly, I have on my fridge a picture of a realistic body goal that I feel I can achieve at my age. These are goals to shoot for but remember every little progress is progress so don't get discouraged.

If you feel that a weight-loss program may help then you should look into it. It wasn't for me but I know it has worked for some of my friends. Many of them offer free consultation and/or free trials so consider taking advantage of those trials to see if its right for you.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,261,558 times
the thing to know is that *something* is causing your body to store fat. While it's true that if calories in (food) exceeds calories out (excercise/activity) you will gain weight, but the reality is you can put on weight even when you eat very little.

You may be young to be pre-diabetic but it's an increasing problem due to all the food and drinks that advertisers are pushing. Humans have evolved to eat paleo and only recently has sugar and low-fat products become something that's been pushed down our throats.

You probably don't need to go keto and intermittent fasting, but the first step for *everybody* should be to eliminate anything sweet and stop snacking. Anytime you eat, you potentially raise your insulin levels and anytime that is elevated, you can be storing fat.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
the thing to know is that *something* is causing your body to store fat. While it's true that if calories in (food) exceeds calories out (excercise/activity) you will gain weight, but the reality is you can put on weight even when you eat very little.

You may be young to be pre-diabetic but it's an increasing problem due to all the food and drinks that advertisers are pushing. Humans have evolved to eat paleo and only recently has sugar and low-fat products become something that's been pushed down our throats.

You probably don't need to go keto and intermittent fasting, but the first step for *everybody* should be to eliminate anything sweet and stop snacking. Anytime you eat, you potentially raise your insulin levels and anytime that is elevated, you can be storing fat.
Care to elaborate on that statement? What is very little and why wouldn't they lose weight?

Old 06-30-2018, 01:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,261,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Care to elaborate on that statement? What is very little and why wouldn't they lose weight?
the body compensates for reduced caloric intake by slowing the metabolism, so people always hit a wall when they practice the reduced caloric intake thing eventually.

Didn't Jason Fung say in one of his videos that people on the biggest loser show sign confidentiality agreements so people never discover that they've almost all gained back their weight?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
the body compensates for reduced caloric intake by slowing the metabolism, so people always hit a wall when they practice the reduced caloric intake thing eventually.

Didn't Jason Fung say in one of his videos that people on the biggest loser show sign confidentiality agreements so people never discover that they've almost all gained back their weight?
Weight loss is attained when there is a caloric deficit. That’s not up for dispute. There’s a variety of ways to achieve that defecit but basically all involve some sort of caloric restriction. Some do it by just dieting. Others do it by a combination of diet and exercise (which is what I did, and personally the best way to break through any walls).

The biggest losers aren’t the best examples. Those people also had issues besides excess weight. From a purely physical standpoint, they did lose because they cut calories and increased energy output. They regained probably because their behaviors that got them overweight didn’t change or the underlying issues were never resolved as that would take more time than reality tv would allow. Real life “losers” are those whose mind sets permanently change, making healthier food choices and integrating exercise into their lives. I’ve lost 70 plus pounds by gradually decreasing caloric intake and increasing activity. It’s been almost two years and I’ve still maintained my weight loss. And I don’t follow any particular diet plan other than eating more vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, lean meats and less garbage. But I do eat garbage one day a week and not being so strict enabled me to keep the weight off for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss