Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Stomach fat comes from the liver. Liver fat comes from over-consumption of carbohydrates, particularly fructose, along with alcohol. To reduce liver fat, eat a calorie restricted diet that is also lower in carbohydrates, don't drink alcohol, limit fructose consumption, and take supplemental Choline.

I find it fascinating.. you look at dogs and cats... the more carbs you feed them the worse their health.. same thing is generally true with humans but because we LOVE carbs so much we rationalize them all away as being "healthy" but a look at any person's diet.. if they have any major diseases like type 2 diabetes or heart disease, they tend to be big carb eaters. Just like feeding your cat cheap dry food with corn/wheat as the number one ingredient will give them worse health, filling up your diet with pasta and sweets will do the same thing. No, agave and honey are not "healthy" substitutes.. it's still molecules of glucose and fructose.

Vegan types don't like to hear this, and many of them try to force feed vegan diets on their pets and children which in my opinion is abuse. However, within 15 years I believe most meat will be lab grown. That may in fact put the moral argument to rest and solve this once and for all. I'm looking forward to it.
Hahaha at the bolded! You made a funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Hey MQ, I'll toast you this evening with my first glass of wine!

My own weight loss is coming along fine with routine gym workouts combined with restricting carbohydrates and occasional days of ketogenic (all meat) dinners. I often have my steak or salmon with low-carb vegetables such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Just yesterday I noticed that my freedom of movement in my waist area is noticeably improved!

And yes alcohol is a bad carbohydrate. I limit my alcohol intake to 2 drinks maximum per day. IMO it's your overall dietary intake that's important, and that you can adjust which items you consume to your preferences. Hell yes I'd rather have a glass of wine than a potato!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Hey MQ, I'll toast you this evening with my first glass of wine!

My own weight loss is coming along fine with routine gym workouts combined with restricting carbohydrates and occasional days of ketogenic (all meat) dinners. I often have my steak or salmon with low-carb vegetables such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Just yesterday I noticed that my freedom of movement in my waist area is noticeably improved!

And yes alcohol is a bad carbohydrate. I limit my alcohol intake to 2 drinks maximum per day. IMO it's your overall dietary intake that's important, and that you can adjust which items you consume to your preferences. Hell yes I'd rather have a glass of wine than a potato!
Technically, alcohol has 0 carbs. It's the other substances that are mixed with it that contain the carbs. Pure alcohol is metabolized like sugar in the liver. It is technically a poison. I'm not knocking it, those are the facts. Wine for instance, contains alcohol, fermented grape juice, water, etc. Beer contains the alcohol, water, grains etc. Mixed drinks are usually alcohol and many other substances. Some are full of sugar. I personally do not drink everyday. Some on the weekends. I like to give my liver some time to recover

Back to topic, I will say this, beer is the worst as far as weight gain goes, especially in the stomach area.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can drink beer and not gain weight if you drink it in moderation and watch your caloric intake. Lots of healthy eaters eat grains, albeit not in fast or pre-processed foods, but actual whole grains and they are no worse for wear.

The problem with telling people they should eliminate food groups is that the vast majority that do that end of failing and gaining the weight back. A saner approach is to focus on healthy, minimally processed foods.
One needs to be able to live with they way they eat after they lose the weight. Who wants to just eat veggies and animal protein for the rest of their lives?
Its an individual journey and what works for me or you may not work for anyone else.
Well, you don't have to cut them out, just limit them. When I was good about this, I would make sure to get more of the salad and meat in before I was full rather than whatever starch was on my plate. I LOVE potatoes, for instance, but know that is not what I need to fill up on.

Carbs are for short term energy and few of us % wise burn them up. With more protein we feel satisfied longer and it's easier to eat less.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Technically, alcohol has 0 carbs.
Alcohol is empty calories and metabolizes and gets stored as fat the same as carbohydrates. (Different metabolic pathway.) Note that beer is often referred to as "liquid bread" and is even worse than wine or spirits.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:43 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, you don't have to cut them out, just limit them. When I was good about this, I would make sure to get more of the salad and meat in before I was full rather than whatever starch was on my plate. I LOVE potatoes, for instance, but know that is not what I need to fill up on.

Carbs are for short term energy and few of us % wise burn them up. With more protein we feel satisfied longer and it's easier to eat less.
Potatoes are a great source of nutrition and relatively low in calories. Avoid smothering them with butter, sour cream, etc. and it's actually a great food choice.

Actually, I can make an argument that having a baked potato as a side dish is an excellent option and one that is almost guaranteed to leave you feeling full.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Sorry NYC2RDU. That is just incorrect that potatoes are low carbohydrate. They are one of the carbs you should avoid or limit: rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, sugar.

Just recognizing that some people benefit from a low carb diet, other people have other kinds of weight problems and may benefit more from a different diet.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Potatoes are a great source of nutrition and relatively low in calories. Avoid smothering them with butter, sour cream, etc. and it's actually a great food choice.

Actually, I can make an argument that having a baked potato as a side dish is an excellent option and one that is almost guaranteed to leave you feeling full.
A plain baked potato if you eat the skin has nutrition. Most people do not eat the skin and it is mostly an empty carb. And most people at least load it up with butter, if not more stuff. For me, still one of the best choices, for sure. I put nothing on it but a little salt. Obviously superior to french fries and a lot of other sides.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sorry NYC2RDU. That is just incorrect that potatoes are low carbohydrate. They are one of the carbs you should avoid or limit: rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, sugar.

Just recognizing that some people benefit from a low carb diet, other people have other kinds of weight problems and may benefit more from a different diet.
Actually not just pasta and bread but flour. The idea is to keep blood sugar down. All of these foods spike blood sugar, which stimulates insulin which signals fat storage. Sure, there will always be people that say that you can lose weight consuming these foods but it just makes it that much harder. It is counter productive and basically an uphill battle. Consuming these foods and no exercise makes it very difficult for most especially if you have a slow metabolism. I assume that most that want to lose weight actually need to.

There is a common misconception that wheat flour is not as bad as sugar itself. That is in fact wrong, it will spike blood sugar just as fast and just as much as sugar. Whole wheat is not much better than white in this regard.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM

That's exactly the idea gguerra. The starches I listed go directly into your blood stream and cause a huge sugar spike. Your pancreas excretes insulin in response to the high blood sugar level which signals adipose (fatty) tissue to take excess sugar out of your blood stream and store it as fat. That is the basis of the "avoid carbohydrates" diet.

The alternative is to eat a diet that does not spike your blood sugar, and then your body can burn it rather than store it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss