Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Thanks for the hearty laugh I enjoyed .
That's our Mighty Queen (and woooo now a mod!). I missed the humor first time around (maybe too sublime) and thanks for pointing it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
I have been around 180 since high school and I am 57 now. I never went past a size 34 pants. Recently, I hit 190 and more recently, I hit 197. I freaked out fearing that some genetic trait was driving me into the 200s. So, I did what I did in 1990 when I also hit 190 for the first time. I went on a super high carb diet. I would eat 6 bagels a day, a loaf of italian bread, chicken breast, spinach. I lost 30 lbs in two month and a friend did the same thing and lost 50. No red meat at all. No olives or avocado. No butter, whole milk, cheese. Basically, I could eat as many calories I wanted as long as I never went over 30 grams of fat per day.

I just started doing this again two weeks ago. I am down to 189. No gym. No exercise. Just carbs with minimal fat, and veggies so I am getting some nutrition. Other than that, I am full from eating carbs all day so I am never hungry. My pants are loose again. Works for me. Others think I’m crazy but they stay heavy eating their meat and no carbs and I am losing weight as they gasp in disbelief. I guess bodies react differently but this works great for me and it take no effort other than saying no to McDonald’s and Chinese food.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 PM

That's just amazing trusso! We have people going on a full-on carb diet and losing weight. We have people going on a full-on ketogenic (meat and fat only) diet and losing weight.

I need no further proof that no one thing works for us all. I'm astonished that both opposites work!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
No exercise. Just carbs with minimal fat, and veggies so I am getting some nutrition. Other than that, I am full from eating carbs all day so I am never hungry. My pants are loose again. Works for me. Others think I’m crazy but they stay heavy eating their meat and no carbs and I am losing weight as they gasp in disbelief. I guess bodies react differently but this works great for me and it take no effort other than saying no to McDonald’s and Chinese food.
That's so awesome! Back in the 90's when low fat was the thing, I was eating veggies and salads with no dressing and was a vegetarian, drinking only water & black coffee, jazzercizing 5 days a week and couldn't lose a pound. Just shows how everyone needs to find what works for them.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I am a really confused old girl right now. I’ve been rather settled on a low carb lifestyle for several years, but now my doc wants me to lower my cholesterol by making changes in my diet. I’m sort of paralyzed now, and don’t know what to eat.

I’ve never eaten a lot of dairy, except butter. I eat a lot of beef, but small portions. I eat a lot of vegetables, but not a lot of fruit.

I guess I’ll just try to reduce the butter and meat, eat more fish, and let the chips fall where they may. I don’t mind that squirt butter on food, but it goes against my wish to eat natural foods. Call me confused.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a really confused old girl right now. I’ve been rather settled on a low carb lifestyle for several years, but now my doc wants me to lower my cholesterol by making changes in my diet. I’m sort of paralyzed now, and don’t know what to eat.

I’ve never eaten a lot of dairy, except butter. I eat a lot of beef, but small portions. I eat a lot of vegetables, but not a lot of fruit.

I guess I’ll just try to reduce the butter and meat, eat more fish, and let the chips fall where they may. I don’t mind that squirt butter on food, but it goes against my wish to eat natural foods. Call me confused.
Up to 80% of the cholesterol you have is made by the body. Diet will (in theory) only affect the other 20%. Also, cholesterol is a myth that is deeply embedded in our psyche as being bad. It's not necessarily. The other side to the story which I don't agree with are statins which I quit several years ago. My cholesterol may be a little higher without them but I got rid of the side effects and potential damage. This is a blog that I recommend to people that are actually interested and have an open mind. This guy is an engineer and has done hundreds of tests to disprove many myths that exist when it comes to cholesterol. It's a blog on low carb and cholesterol. Highly recommended.

Cholesterol Code » Reverse Engineering the Mystery

Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I just started doing this again two weeks ago. I am down to 189. No gym. No exercise. Just carbs with minimal fat, and veggies so I am getting some nutrition.
I can do this too, for a month or so and lose 10 pounds. The problem comes when I start eating other things again, I gain. How do you maintain the weight loss?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's so awesome! Back in the 90's when low fat was the thing, I was eating veggies and salads with no dressing and was a vegetarian, drinking only water & black coffee, jazzercizing 5 days a week and couldn't lose a pound. Just shows how everyone needs to find what works for them.
Your plan sounds like it should have worked. I'm curious what worked for you.

Quote:
I am a really confused old girl right now. I’ve been rather settled on a low carb lifestyle for several years, but now my doc wants me to lower my cholesterol by making changes in my diet. I’m sort of paralyzed now, and don’t know what to eat. ...

I was going to say more but gguerra above explained the myth that eating cholesterol causes high cholesterol. To add to that, there is another myth that eating fat makes you fat. Eating more food than your daily exercise consumes makes you fat. The whole low fat craze was a farce. The reason low fat meals work is because of their reduced serving size. I'm thinking Lean Cuisine etc. here. It's the calories, just the calories. Some foods are more calorie laden, those are food choices, more of one or less of another.

I think you should ask your doctor for more details on how to alter your diet to decrease cholesterol. You can also Google that, and I'm sure you'll get some advice here in the topic.

BTW please do not consider taking statins except as a last resort. IMO statins have huge adverse reaction potential. You should try all dietary changes to reduce your cholesterol, and consider statins as a last resort. The principal risk as I understand it is liver damage.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:58 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Your plan sounds like it should have worked. I'm curious what worked for you.

I was going to say more but gguerra above explained the myth that eating cholesterol causes high cholesterol. To add to that, there is another myth that eating fat makes you fat. Eating more food than your daily exercise consumes makes you fat. The whole low fat craze was a farce. The reason low fat meals work is because of their reduced serving size. I'm thinking Lean Cuisine etc. here. It's the calories, just the calories. Some foods are more calorie laden, those are food choices, more of one or less of another.

I think you should ask your doctor for more details on how to alter your diet to decrease cholesterol. You can also Google that, and I'm sure you'll get some advice here in the topic.

BTW please do not consider taking statins except as a last resort. IMO statins have huge adverse reaction potential. You should try all dietary changes to reduce your cholesterol, and consider statins as a last resort. The principal risk as I understand it is liver damage.
I am a long way from needing meds, and I would be very hesitant to take them. My “good” cholesterol is very good. For one thing, I have a fatty liver, and had bad liver numbers before I had my gallbladder out. I would not do anything that would possibly hurt my liver.

My doctor is way too fat, so I’m not sure she is the best source for advice.

I think what I’ll do is be more mindful. I’ll reduce fats, where practical, and try to lose 20 lbs. Chose more fish and chicken and less beef and pork. Today, I had a bean burger for lunch, but I’m having a small steak for dinner. Baby steps. I already don’t eat much, and don’t eat much sugar or bread, so it’s not as if I can just change my evil ways.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I am a long way from needing meds, and I would be very hesitant to take them. My “good” cholesterol is very good. For one thing, I have a fatty liver, and had bad liver numbers before I had my gallbladder out. I would not do anything that would possibly hurt my liver.

My doctor is way too fat, so I’m not sure she is the best source for advice.

I think what I’ll do is be more mindful. I’ll reduce fats, where practical, and try to lose 20 lbs. Chose more fish and chicken and less beef and pork. Today, I had a bean burger for lunch, but I’m having a small steak for dinner. Baby steps. I already don’t eat much, and don’t eat much sugar or bread, so it’s not as if I can just change my evil ways.
You're doing fine as long as you put that into practice, and remember to exercise.

That particularly disgusts me when I see obese people in the healthcare industry, or those who smoke. I don't know why I hold them to a higher standard but I do. — Maybe you should consider changing doctors. When I need dietary advice my doctor has been a vital resource. I won't accept advice from people who don't practice what they preach.

Just remember to group all these together: sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. They are all digested by enzymes in your stomach and quickly go into your blood stream and spike your sugar level. Contrast that with proteins and complex carbohydrates (e.g. non-glycogenic vegetables) which your stomach pre-digests and then slowly releases them into your small intestine. They are further processed by bacteria, bile, etc., and all this processing causes them to be slowly released into your blood, so there's no sugar spike.

Noting that some people manage to lose weight by eating carbs! I can't explain that unless it's a small quantity situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss