Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a long way from needing meds, and I would be very hesitant to take them. My “good” cholesterol is very good. For one thing, I have a fatty liver, and had bad liver numbers before I had my gallbladder out. I would not do anything that would possibly hurt my liver.

My doctor is way too fat, so I’m not sure she is the best source for advice.

I think what I’ll do is be more mindful. I’ll reduce fats, where practical, and try to lose 20 lbs. Chose more fish and chicken and less beef and pork. Today, I had a bean burger for lunch, but I’m having a small steak for dinner. Baby steps. I already don’t eat much, and don’t eat much sugar or bread, so it’s not as if I can just change my evil ways.
Fatty liver does not come from eating fats, I beg to differ. Other than drinking too much, it comes from eating too many refined carbs/sugars and not exercising enough. If you don't burn them off they get stored in the liver or other places on the body as fat . The liver is the "first stop" and once that is full it goes to to other places. Chances are if you have high triglycerides you have a fatty liver. I once had trigs around 400 and you know what the doctor told me? Cut back on red meats. I didn't cut back at all and in fact I eat more meat and saturated fat than ever. I was at 98 on my last test. My cholesterol is in the normal range but that's another story. This is not to say you will have the same results, everyone is (a bit) different. Many GP's are not well versed or trained on diet and nutrition. The have a cookie cutter mentality on the subject. I'm only speaking in a general sense, I'm sure there are doctors that are more up to date. The older ones generally are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You're doing fine as long as you put that into practice, and remember to exercise.

That particularly disgusts me when I see obese people in the healthcare industry, or those who smoke. I don't know why I hold them to a higher standard but I do. — Maybe you should consider changing doctors. When I need dietary advice my doctor has been a vital resource. I won't accept advice from people who don't practice what they preach.

Just remember to group all these together: sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. They are all digested by enzymes in your stomach and quickly go into your blood stream and spike your sugar level. Contrast that with proteins and complex carbohydrates (e.g. non-glycogenic vegetables) which your stomach pre-digests and then slowly releases them into your small intestine. They are further processed by bacteria, bile, etc., and all this processing causes them to be slowly released into your blood, so there's no sugar spike.

Noting that some people manage to lose weight by eating carbs! I can't explain that unless it's a small quantity situation.
No argument there. I do eat potatoes and other root vegetables, because i think they are wholesome nutritious foods.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,145,075 times
I eat them too, but in moderation. My favorite sin is "fries with that!!!"

Fries are a rare treat.

Mind what I said about why you are getting hungry some hours later. I never feel like snacking after dinner. In fact I had dinner last night, and only now noon did I feel the slightest hunger and I'm eating a serving of cereal and milk. That will easily last me 6 hours.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
I used to eat beef (red meat) once a week. I now eat it multiple times per week. Beef can be almost as lean as chicken. And really, what I care about is total calories eaten in a day.

I've actually found tubers (sweet potatoes and white potatoes) to be very filling. the secret is not to load them up. I simply season mine with herbs and a dab of margarine. (I like margarine, but you can use a T of any other similar fat). Sweet potatoes I sprinkle with cinnamon and a dab of margarine, or often times I just eat it straight. I eat the skin and all.

Things that have fiber tend to make you full and you really don't binge on those. For example, few binge on plain beans (not refried...just plain beans). I've added legumes back into my life and yumm.

The sad truth is though that if you're older - senior, for example - you need to eat even less than when you're in your 40s. Of course your body may not make that easy for you. You may think you're not eating a lot, but at your advanced age, it still may be too much. Your body doesn't need a lot of food. I had to learn that lesson. Since you are older and activity may be limited, you're going to just have to make each calorie count. I advocate eating even "bad" things for sanity's sake, but truth is as we age gaining weight is far easier than taking it off.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,757,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Your plan sounds like it should have worked. I'm curious what worked for you.
It should have. I was the very fit strong overweight mom doing high impact aerobics in the front row.

Over the years and with much experimenting and never being one who overate or drank anything with calories, I've settled into eating two meals a day, mostly vegetables with meat or seafood, not looking for lean cuts, I go for the fattier cuts. I don't eat after 7 when possible. I cook most of the time and if we do eat out, I still stick to the same choices of meats and veggies.

I used to work second shift, which meant I ate late afternoons and late at night. I never thought it really made a difference because I was still eating healthy. I did a lot of research on cortisol, circadian cycles and leptin resistence. When I changed my eating times and actually ate breakfast, along with spending more mornings in the sunshine to reset my circadian cycle, the extra weight fell off pretty quickly.

Now I'm the very fit strong healthy grandma who chases her ten grandkids.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The sad truth is though that if you're older - senior, for example - you need to eat even less than when you're in your 40s. ... Since you are older and activity may be limited, you're going to just have to make each calorie count. I advocate eating even "bad" things for sanity's sake, but truth is as we age gaining weight is far easier than taking it off.
I chose to go the route to drastically increase my workout schedule at my gym. I've made a minor reduction in caloric intake (and skip starches most of the time) and I'm losing weight. When I reach the right weight I'll just enjoy more food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I used to work second shift, which meant I ate late afternoons and late at night. I never thought it really made a difference because I was still eating healthy. I did a lot of research on cortisol, circadian cycles and leptin resistence. When I changed my eating times and actually ate breakfast, along with spending more mornings in the sunshine to reset my circadian cycle, the extra weight fell off pretty quickly.

Now I'm the very fit strong healthy grandma who chases her ten grandkids.
Thank you for the explanation, I never thought of circadian reasons. I'll have to consider my own life in that respect.

Meanwhile I'm having a filet mignon steak, broccoli, and fries with that for dinner tonight!

I earned the fries by working out at my gym yesterday! (I'll be back tomorrow.)

Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I used to eat beef (red meat) once a week. I now eat it multiple times per week. Beef can be almost as lean as chicken. And really, what I care about is total calories eaten in a day.

I've actually found tubers (sweet potatoes and white potatoes) to be very filling. the secret is not to load them up. I simply season mine with herbs and a dab of margarine. (I like margarine, but you can use a T of any other similar fat). Sweet potatoes I sprinkle with cinnamon and a dab of margarine, or often times I just eat it straight. I eat the skin and all.

Things that have fiber tend to make you full and you really don't binge on those. For example, few binge on plain beans (not refried...just plain beans). I've added legumes back into my life and yumm.

The sad truth is though that if you're older - senior, for example - you need to eat even less than when you're in your 40s. Of course your body may not make that easy for you. You may think you're not eating a lot, but at your advanced age, it still may be too much. Your body doesn't need a lot of food. I had to learn that lesson. Since you are older and activity may be limited, you're going to just have to make each calorie count. I advocate eating even "bad" things for sanity's sake, but truth is as we age gaining weight is far easier than taking it off.
So true. A doctor once told me that after 30, you need 10% fewer calories every decade.

I love baked sweet potatoes with a just salt. Yum. I really like the squirt Can’t Believe it’s not Butter on vegetables. Zero calories.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
So true. A doctor once told me that after 30, you need 10% fewer calories every decade.
That may be predicated on an assumption that you are also becoming more sedentary, or are losing muscle mass. Simply having muscles even when not being used burns more calories than fatty tissue.

Quote:
I love baked sweet potatoes with a just salt. Yum. I really like the squirt Can’t Believe it’s not Butter on vegetables. Zero calories.
A teaspoon of butter has 34 calories. If you walk a mile at 3.5 mph (20 minutes) and weigh 150# you will expend about 130 calories. That's also the approximate equivalent of 1 tablespoon of butter.

So if you are restricting caloric consumption then it's clear that not eating butter is better than trying to exercise it off.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
Quote:

I love the butter sprays...even if they aren't "natural" hehe... I spritz vegetables, corn, popcorn... the calorie savings is definitely worth it.

I really feel like eating sweet potatoes tonight after your post! i just love them.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:27 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,757,486 times
Quote:
I'm 60, so that's 30% less. I believe it. Not as hungry as I used to be, only eat twice a day. That makes sense why it's so much harder to lose weight when you get older, plus, if you've lost weight previously, your metabolism is more efficient and I saw one study that said you need to cut 30% of your calories or you will gain. So now I'm down to 60% less.

I remember my sweet MIL in her 80's-90's, she was healthy and not skinny, but could barely eat half a sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss