Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,580 times

Advertisements

I need/want to lose weight and I have looked at several books with tons of recipes but they are not workable for the average single working guy.

I get up at 3 am for work, I'm not in a position to be cooking veggie omelets, spinach quiche, Asparagus frittata and so on which is the kind of breakfast most diet books suggest. Similar with lunches and dinner.

I'm looking for some cookbooks that have simple easy for fix stuff that isn't going to involve lots of time. Working the schedule I do I want easy fast diet foods.

I'm also not interested in meals that have 20 things you need to have to fix. I'm used to a chicken (pork chop, burger, steak) some veggies and a baked potato or rice, very simple, fast easy but not necessarily going to promote weight loss.

Anyone know of diet cookbook(s) for the single person on the go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,003,911 times
The easiest way is to eat the foods you always have, but cut the portions down.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,504 times
Use the Internet, there are a near endless stream of options to tap into.

Keep chicken cutlets on hand, you can cut one up, saute it in a pan with a spray of Pam, throw in some seasoning (anything will do from salt/pepper to Old Bay) and have it ready in five minutes. You can also keep a supply of steamable veggies in the freezer (I love broccoli and/or asparagus myself). I also tend to make a huge salad early in the week and eat it most nights as a side until it's gone (and I use lower calorie options in place of dressings, salsa's a favorite as are marinades).

Plus lately I've been stocking up on microwave meals, most are 300 calories or less and as I tend to budget 600-700 calories for dinner, I can eat two of them which is plenty of food; this works out perfect on certain nights.

And honestly, I've even been known to indulge the occasional bowl of cereal. I love Cracklin' Oat Bran and a double portion with almond milk is under 500 calories and very filling.

Don't complicate this, you likely don't need a cookbook or a complicated plan. You can grab a grilled chicken anything from most fast food places, skip the bun and whatever sauce they use and stick to the guts and you'll be fine as well. I love the grilled chicken nuggests at Chik Fil A myself, very flavorful and stupid low in calories.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,472,301 times
Pet peeve, sorry.. but "Diet" is what everyone is on, every day of their lives. "Special Diet" is something altered for a short time to achieve whatever desired results (weight change). You can eat the EXACT same food in both, it's simply portions that are different.

So, breakfast at 3am and you don't want to get up earlier to make something hot (I don't blame you!), you're looking for make-ahead meals. Overnight oatmeal is stupidly easy and very filling, you can have it any way you want... there are a billion ways to change it up. I tend to eat a lot of breakfast burritos (scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, salsa in a tortilla), which can be made ahead too and reheated easily. I was pleasantly surprised by a Sweet Potato muffin I saw Jamie Oliver do... this is a bit more fiddly in the kitchen and might be out of your comfort level (or interest level), but they're good:

Jamie Oliver's Cheesy Sweet Potato Muffins - Callie Thorpe

Plenty of other make-ahead meal ideas if you take a look, just search based on the foods you normally eat. As for your "normal", that's my standard fare (protein and veggie, not so much starch/grain though) and I absolutely lost weight while eating it. That's just portion control, how many calories you're consuming vs how many you're burning. On that front, be VERY aware of what you're drinking... most people who want to lose weight drink their calorie budget every day and then eat on top of that. Switching to just water and 2 cups of tea/coffee or 1 alcoholic beverage a day will usually do wonders (I lost about 2 pants sizes over a couple months from just this one thing).

Old 07-05-2018, 11:53 AM

50,514 posts, read 64,443,704 times
Are you cutting calories, or going low carb?
Your normal diet sounds fine if you watch your portions.
If you go low carb, your normal diet still sounds fine, just cut out the rice, potato, bread and pasta...and of course sugar.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 AM

29,797 posts, read 34,605,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance2014 View Post
I get up at 3 am for work, I'm not in a position to be cooking veggie omelets, spinach quiche, Asparagus frittata and so on which is the kind of breakfast most diet books suggest. Similar with lunches and dinner.
That's why people are suggesting make ahead meals--you can make the quiche or the fritatta over the weekend, and then heat up a slice in the morning. Get a slow-cooker and put ingredients in it before you walk out the door. When you get home from work dinner is ready.

If you're trying to lose weight and eat better, you need to start thinking about what you're going to eat more than 10 minutes before you want to eat it. Planning is key. Cooking in batches and freezing things will probably be good for you, too. Chili, casseroles, soups--all easy and heat up well.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 PM

48,688 posts, read 35,163,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's why people are suggesting make ahead meals--you can make the quiche or the fritatta over the weekend, and then heat up a slice in the morning. Get a slow-cooker and put ingredients in it before you walk out the door. When you get home from work dinner is ready.

If you're trying to lose weight and eat better, you need to start thinking about what you're going to eat more than 10 minutes before you want to eat it. Planning is key. Cooking in batches and freezing things will probably be good for you, too. Chili, casseroles, soups--all easy and heat up well.

This. ^^^
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-05-2018, 12:26 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Because I don't have much time for breakfast, I drink it. I go for a protein shake - lately it's been Muscle Milk, and sometimes I drink Special K. I just need something to last a few hours. I save my heartier meals as the day goes on because I'm more active. Breakfast is usually just 200 cals or less for me.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:51 PM

48,688 posts, read 35,163,373 times
If you cook ahead you can make oat bars or baked oatmeal.

For dinner grill up a bunch of chicken breasts on Saturday, and serve through out the week with different sauces/seasonings.

I had no trouble making meals for the week when working, including taking lunches to work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2018, 05:31 PM

7,163 posts, read 12,742,803 times
Make "bowls" ---very popular right now. Easy and affordable and healthy!

You can make a bunch of portions at one time.

1. Cook up some good grains: lentils, quinoa, brown rice, barley, etc.

2. Add some chopped, oven-roasted or pan-sauteed veggies --whatever's in season. I like onions, zukes, carrots, garlic, some kind of dark greens--bok choy, kale, spinach, Swiss chard, mustard greens

3. Add some lean protein: sardines, canned tuna, smoked salmon, shredded chicken, chopped roast beef, turkey (lunch meat works fine), or chopped hard-boiled egg--or a combo of any of those. Some walnuts, cashews, almonds or chopped peanuts are great for protein and good fats, too!

4. Add sauce/dressing of your choice. I like some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Or low-sodium soy sauce and some sesame oil. Or even simpler -- a nice squeeze of fresh lemon.

Store extra stuff in glass containers in frig and throw together as needed for lunch, dinner--or even breakfast. Meal in a bowl. Great stuff. Be creative!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss