Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM

89,025 posts, read 85,562,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I believe it. During the heat wave a few weeks ago I was walking my dogs much later than normal, nearly dark to avoid the heat. This is a bike path through a park and wooded area. In the parking area I encountered a very overweight woman who had been jogging and was headed back to her car. I asked her “isn’t it kind of dangerous running in the dark? Aren’t you afraid you will trip?”. And she told me it’s better than being made fun of by the young men and teens during the daylight hours.

I hadn’t even thought about the fact that this lady was trying to lose weight, and was getting harassed in public for doing so. So yes, I believe that most fat people are trying to lose weight.
I am always happy when I see an obese person out walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 AM

For me, another key factor in managing weight is managing hunger. We don't let ourselves get hungry, and I've learned to change that and let myself get to the point where I feel hungry. I can't let it go too long, because I feel mean if I am hungry, but I will not dash to stuff something in my mouth at the first pang anymore.

Also, it helped me to realize that food that doesn't seem filling will stop the hunger pangs. When I am hungry, a salad or yogurt doesn't seem as if it's going to hit the stomach and be filling like, say, a cheeseburger would. But it does! If I eat some Greek yogurt with blueberries or have a salad, it stops the hunger. Thinking that it can't possibly do that is just psychological.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,901,106 times
If only MOST would walk past the Pasta and Bread and Cookies/Cakes/Pies sections at the markets, MOST would change their weights and overall health...including diabetes.

Unless they are into the major exercise programs out there.

Too simple as I see it....This is what I've had to do and it's working.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:43 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,044,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For me, another key factor in managing weight is managing hunger. We don't let ourselves get hungry, and I've learned to change that and let myself get to the point where I feel hungry. I can't let it go too long, because I feel mean if I am hungry, but I will not dash to stuff something in my mouth at the first pang anymore.

Also, it helped me to realize that food that doesn't seem filling will stop the hunger pangs. When I am hungry, a salad or yogurt doesn't seem as if it's going to hit the stomach and be filling like, say, a cheeseburger would. But it does! If I eat some Greek yogurt with blueberries or have a salad, it stops the hunger. Thinking that it can't possibly do that is just psychological.
Yes! If you ever allow yourself to get to the point where you feel like you're "starving," you're going to be really prone to overeating.

Also, eating until you're no longer hungry -- not until you're full and definitely not until you're "stuffed" -- is a good tactic.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Just hearing my favorite MD on the radio and he has call ins for people in pain from many areas but his area is joint pain and PRP/Stem cells.

A man called in and before doc could ask his height and weight, the caller offered that he is 6' and 345 lbs....The MD said I'll be glad to work with you for your joints BUT you've got to take off weight, doc went right to carbs and the caller knew what he had to do. He had no come back to the doctor. Get rid of carb addiction.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If only MOST would walk past the Pasta and Bread and Cookies/Cakes/Pies sections at the markets, MOST would change their weights and overall health...including diabetes.

Unless they are into the major exercise programs out there.

Too simple as I see it....This is what I've had to do and it's working.
That presumes that somebody was eating all of those things in the first place.

To get my a1c down, as well as my weight, I had to give up a different culprit...ice cream. I can easily walk by cakes, cookies and pies, and I don't eat bread every day. Ice cream was my habit.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:

To get my a1c down, as well as my weight, I had to give up a different culprit...ice cream. I can easily walk by cakes, cookies and pies, and I don't eat bread every day. Ice cream was my habit.
Yes, it's all sugar and that was your addiction. I've stopped bringing ice cream into my house too....

Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,044,221 times
Quote:

Yeah...I think it's kind of like how alcoholics have to quit drinking completely in order to get their habit under control...but other people can responsibly enjoy a glass of wine, a beer or a cocktail here and there without it being a problem.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, sweets aren't really an issue for me. I eat them occasionally because I do enjoy them, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so a small serving every now and then is more than enough for me.

I also think that sandwiches (particularly on wheat bread, but even on white bread or even white sub rolls) can be a much healthier meal option than many other things for many people. I wouldn't say that Subway is a good "diet" restaurant, but I would say that overall, its offerings are much healthier than what is available at the majority of fast food restaurants. Sandwiches and subs that are thoughtfully made at home can be even healthier and can be a good, filling, nutritious alternative to unhealthier foods.

So, I think it's kinda dangerous to assume that EVERYONE should stop eating carbs. I never did well on low-carb diets in the past and ended up gaining weight before it was over with because I'd feel so restricted that I'd binge. For me, moderation works. For those who have a big problem with overeating carbs, severely restricting them may be the answer. We're all different. There's really not a one-size-fits-all plan.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yeah...I think it's kind of like how alcoholics have to quit drinking completely in order to get their habit under control...but other people can responsibly enjoy a glass of wine, a beer or a cocktail here and there without it being a problem.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, sweets aren't really an issue for me. I eat them occasionally because I do enjoy them, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so a small serving every now and then is more than enough for me.

I also think that sandwiches (particularly on wheat bread, but even on white bread or even white sub rolls) can be a much healthier meal option than many other things for many people. I wouldn't say that Subway is a good "diet" restaurant, but I would say that overall, its offerings are much healthier than what is available at the majority of fast food restaurants. Sandwiches and subs that are thoughtfully made at home can be even healthier and can be a good, filling, nutritious alternative to unhealthier foods.

So, I think it's kinda dangerous to assume that EVERYONE should stop eating carbs. I never did well on low-carb diets in the past and ended up gaining weight before it was over with because I'd feel so restricted that I'd binge. For me, moderation works. For those who have a big problem with overeating carbs, severely restricting them may be the answer. We're all different. There's really not a one-size-fits-all plan.
Well said.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,434,248 times
I firmly believe that some people are more sensitive to types of some foods than others. Eating these types of foods can cause digestive issues, bloating, water retention, weight gain, joint pain, heartburn, etc. Sadly, some people walk around in a state of discomfort actually believing that it's just normal to feel that way over time!

For me, it was gluten. For a good friend of mine, it was eggs, which I can eat with no problem. For another friend, it was dairy, another product I can eat with no issues. They can both eat gluten and I can't. Oh well - I can eat eggs and dairy and they can't! I'll take that trade off!

Ice cream - OK, get this - I made DELICIOUS home made ice cream for the 4th of July - and yes, I ate it that day and two other days. Now, I can eat dairy, and I don't have a negative reaction to sugar in small amounts, but wow, I just can't keep ice cream in my house - not because I am hypersensitive to it but because I just can't resist it! LOL I gained three pounds and couldn't even blame it on gluten! Har! (I've lost it now.)

But I've had absolutely no problem cutting gluten out of my diet, and prior to realizing how it was affecting me, I LOVED breads and pastas. But even a tiny serving of whole grain wheat sets off a series of very uncomfortable symptoms in me, and I immediately gain 3 pounds. Totally not worth it, I don't care if it's "water weight" or fat.

I'm not an idiot - I know I'm eating fewer calories because I'm not eating foods that contain gluten, and of course that helps me lose weight and keep it off. But my point is that even when I was counting calories religiously, I wasn't able to lose weight if I ate any amount of wheat. I mean, I guess if I'd been in a labor camp eating only 600 calories a day I would have lost weight, but in my real world, gluten is counterproductive to me losing weight, just like eggs and dairy seriously impede my friends (yay for me that they don't bother me because I love me some eggs and some dairy products!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss