Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Given the popularity of low carb diets and how people swear by them, you'd think most Americans would not be overweight.

Perhaps the truth is that low carb/no carb diets like Atkins don't work that well.
They actually do work well, the problem is they are very hard for most people to stick with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 PM

9,336 posts, read 6,467,301 times
Quote:
Given the popularity of low carb diets and how people swear by them, you'd think most Americans would not be overweight.
I have not seen anywhere near 320 million posts or blogs on low carb diets. I don't believe most Americans are following low carb diets. I know three other co-workers of mine who are doing low carb diets of varying types and all four of us have lost substantial weight. We all follow our individualized eating plans.

My response is anecdotal of course but there is nothing wrong with using anecdotes to refute generalizations.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Nobody is saying you can't eat the grains you like so much, all the power to you with what works for you.

Experimentation is the healthiest approach to diet. That includes both trying new foods and taking sabbaticals from pre-existing dietary choices. You seem to take issue any time someone simply suggests experimenting with the subtraction of grains as you challenge every single one. Just chill and let people express their happiness over whatever dietary approaches are working for them. That is why this forum exists to share diversity of experiences.
Allow me to make a correction. I don’t need to “chill” because I am/was not in an agitated state. You and others can express as much as you want ad infinitum as can I. I am quite perplexed as in no way does me expressing my opinion suppress your happiness when it comes to cutting grains lol. Where I will step in... and no one is going to stop me ... is when people seem to think that cutting grains is some sort of missing key to weight loss, that people who eat grains are somehow doing it the wrong way, that eating grains is a fast track to weight gain, that low carb is the only way to go, carbs are unhealthy yada yada. There are people out there who want to get started losing but fear having to give up many of the things they love to eat. And for many that’s carbs because it’s the most accessible food group. I say no, you don’t have to.

You’re right experimentation is the healthiest approach and I’ve experimented plenty. Enough to know deprivation dieting, elimination dieting, or anything similar doesn’t work in the long term for me. And that’s what I’m after something that I can do for life.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:33 AM

30,921 posts, read 37,117,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Not wanting to turn this into dissing or belittling, lets try keep it respectful and informative, helpful!

Nearly Half of Americans Battling to Lose Weight: CDC Data

If we actually want to fix the overweight/obesity issue, we will never be able to do it with individual responsibility alone. Dan Buettner leads the way in community based solutions with this Blue Zones projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so_1etvOJiw&t=211s

Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 AM

9,970 posts, read 7,872,591 times
Quote:

Perhaps the truth is that low carb/no carb diets like Atkins don't work that well.
I think it really depends on the individual. Definitely low carb works for me and many of the previously overweight people I know. I have other friends whose doctors advised them to cut carbs for health reasons and they also lost weight.

But, everyone is different.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:

They do work. The reason why most Americans are overweight is that many don't want to make the lifestyle changes that are required to lose weight and maintain the loss, regardless of diet plan. Whether it's cutting calories, carbs, adding more physical activity....many don't want to do that.

People want to eat eat eat and pair that with moving very little. A recipe for weight problems.

Also people don't realize that as they get older, things aren't going to be like they used to be. In your 20s you could get away with eating more and moving less not so much when you're in your 40s and beyond.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,376,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
They do work. The reason why most Americans are overweight is that many don't want to make the lifestyle changes that are required to lose weight and maintain the loss, regardless of diet plan. Whether it's cutting calories, carbs, adding more physical activity....many don't want to do that.

People want to eat eat eat and pair that with moving very little. A recipe for weight problems.

Also people don't realize that as they get older, things aren't going to be like they used to be. In your 20s you could get away with eating more and moving less not so much when you're in your 40s and beyond.
You are not kidding!

One of the cruelties of life is that as we age, we not only have more issues with movement overall, but we also can't eat nearly as much. It's like all our fun is diminished by aging!

Oh well. Beats the alternative.

But my father in law was right about this - DON'T STOP MOVING. If you stop, as you age, it's a lot harder to restart. We don't "bounce" like we used to either. My gosh, I see my my grandkids take a tumble and get right up and keep going - that same fall would probably land me in the freaking hospital.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM

48,696 posts, read 35,163,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Amen to that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,250,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This is partly true.

Bottom line is, and I say this from years of experience in training people, working out, and being dedicated to physical fitness and health, obesity is almost always always always due to laziness (i.e., not wanting to do what is right for health/fitness) and/or ignorance (not knowing what to do for health/fitness). Another smaller portion of that is due to a type of mental illness. You know, like what you always see on tv shows talking about obesity, people always blaming their plight/weight on something that happened in their lives ("Momma died when I was 7...', "I had a bad relationship....." or "I was neglected when I was a child..." etc.).
This is harsh. I would say lots of people would put in the work to lose weight but they either:

A. Don't know what to do about it and feel a sense of hopelessness.

B. Live in family or marriage with other people with bad eating and exercise habits. Unless everyone in your
household embraces a healthy live style its extremely difficult for people who are obese to forge healthy
habits.

Being fit and healthy really needs to be a community effort. Those of us on the other side of the aisle need to be much more encouraging about helping and being supportive of those who are just starting their journey.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,467,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They actually do work well, the problem is they are very hard for most people to stick with.
Is it just me, or when you try to cut out carbs, do you get "restless" and have trouble concentrating on one thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss