Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,607,331 times

Advertisements

Not wanting to turn this into dissing or belittling, lets try keep it respectful and informative, helpful!

Nearly Half of Americans Battling to Lose Weight: CDC Data

Quote:
(Bloomberg) -- An estimated 49.1 percent of American adults battled to lose weight from 2013 to 2016, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with those between 40 and 59 years doing the most huffing and puffing.
Exercise, eating less, consuming more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water were the most common strategies. The least common were skipping meals and cutting down on fatty foods.
  • Further reading: CDC Guide on Healthy Weight, Losing Weigh
  • The data also show:
  • Weight loss efforts increased with income
  • 56.4 percent of women tried to lose weight versus 41.7 percent of men
  • 66.7 percent of adults with obesity, 49 percent of overweight adults and 26.5 percent of underweight or normal weight adults tried to lose weight
Attached Thumbnails
Nearly Half of Americans Battling to Lose Weight: CDC Data-630x420.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM

9,493 posts, read 8,484,422 times
I have a VERY hard time believing this unless their criteria for attempting to lose weight would be doing things like eating a piece of fruit or drinking water and even then it would be a stretch to say 1 out of 2 do this. I wonder if someone drinks water claiming to try and lose weight if that counts as actively trying to lose weight with their data?

Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,544,391 times
I think it is more likely that when asked, people who are overweight or obese will always say they are trying to lose weight, whether or not they actually made any real effort at it. I think the 26% of normal weight people who responded they were actively working on it are much likely to be telling the truth than the 60+% of obese people.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM

14,411 posts, read 11,848,570 times
If people start drinking water and cut out sodas and frappuccinos, then they will probably lose weight. If they just drink more water than usual and otherwise eat/drink the same old stuff, then not so much.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:52 PM

29,540 posts, read 22,828,862 times
I believe it, just walking around town you can see overweight people. I'm shocked at how much some people at work weigh.

And it's a trend that's been going on for years.

It reminds me of the discussion of why exercise isn't the best option for losing weight.

Never before in our lifetime have we had SO much information on what to eat, what exercise to do, how often, etc., yet we have continued to get fatter and fatter.

It has nothing to do with diet (keto, vegan, etc.), and everything to do with portion control and lack of control in caloric intake. How else to explain those people that went on an experimental diet where they ate nothing but McDonald's everyday for months (not talking about the Super Size Me documentary guy who ate a lot of excess calories per day)? Not only did these people lose weight, they were relatively healthy too. And that's because they actually ate below their caloric needs everyday without feeling hungry.

Not only have serving sizes gone up, we as a society have been conditioned for so many years to stuff our faces until our stomachs ache, that it's hard to back down and eat smaller portions. I don't think many people realize how many calories are in one donut, or one Starbucks frappucino, and that's just for snacks.. They think just because they did an hour on the stair stepper, somehow it magically negates eating excessive calories per day.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,998,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't think many people realize how many calories are in one donut, or one Starbucks frappucino, and that's just for snacks.. They think just because they did an hour on the stair stepper, somehow it magically negates eating excessive calories per day.
I agree that they don't realize how many calories they're taking in.

I'm watching a little girl in my family who is getting bigger and bigger every time I see her. Her mom is big and complains about her weight. Every January, she makes a new year's resolution to lose weight, buys a pair of yoga pants, and thinks that will do the trick. This mother eats for entertainment, and her little girl is learning to do the same thing. She's constantly eating "fun" food, and mom encourages it.

When she gets a little older and starts wondering how she got so big, she'll have no idea how it happened. Kids need nutrition education at school. They aren't getting it at home from their parents, apparently.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:56 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have a VERY hard time believing this unless their criteria for attempting to lose weight would be doing things like eating a piece of fruit or drinking water and even then it would be a stretch to say 1 out of 2 do this. I wonder if someone drinks water claiming to try and lose weight if that counts as actively trying to lose weight with their data?
It says over 1/4 of adults who were trying to lose weight were actually underweight, or a healthy weight. It's NOT saying that nearly half of Americans are overweight. That's interesting.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:59 PM

5,218 posts, read 3,152,826 times
No worries, we'll just rename obesity (how does ABCD sound?) and everything will be fine.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:27 PM

19,975 posts, read 9,525,590 times
I completely believe the link, although I think that "trying to lose weight" has a VERY broad interpretation. I think the key would be to ask if someone was on some kind of strict diet and adhering to it at least 75% of the time, the percentages would be about half as much.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,466,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If people start drinking water and cut out sodas and frappuccinos, then they will probably lose weight. If they just drink more water than usual and otherwise eat/drink the same old stuff, then not so much.
This is partly true.

Bottom line is, and I say this from years of experience in training people, working out, and being dedicated to physical fitness and health, obesity is almost always always always due to laziness (i.e., not wanting to do what is right for health/fitness) and/or ignorance (not knowing what to do for health/fitness). Another smaller portion of that is due to a type of mental illness. You know, like what you always see on tv shows talking about obesity, people always blaming their plight/weight on something that happened in their lives ("Momma died when I was 7...', "I had a bad relationship....." or "I was neglected when I was a child..." etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss