Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

So I’ve been working out trying to lose some weight before the end of the year but for some reason I’ve not lost a single pound. I work out 6 days a week and I can’t seem to get anywhere.

My work out consists of
- 60 jumping squats
- 1-2 minutes of ab planks
- 300-350 Star jumps
- 30 push ups

And walk around 1.5 km almost daily.

I’m a student so my diet consists of around 2 meals a day including brown fried rice with meat and vege, instant noodles, and maybe once a week a small fast food meal (noodle canteen pork buns) and scrambled eggs on brown bread. Like I said I’m a student so my diet doesn’t really change from that. I’ve been following that work out around 6 days per week for two and a half weeks now. When I started I weighed about 106 kgs. When I returned back home I weighed myself and was surprised to see I currently weigh 105 kgs. I’m not sure if that’s normal but from what I can see I haven’t lost nearly as much as I had hoped if not anything and am disappointed and confused. Does anyone know why or how I haven’t lost anything considering my eating habits and work out plans.

Additional info
- my meals a day vary. Some days I can only manage one meal a day which I know isn’t great but unfortunately that’s all I can manage
- I sleep around 7-8 hours a night
- I normally go out Friday and Saturday nights with my friends which does mean drinking alcohol. Normally around 15 standard drinks per night.
- I’m 6’3 male
- I’m 19 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,000 times
15 drinks is a lot of sugar, maybe google how many calories/carbs are in whatever types of drinks you're having.

Maybe you're not getting enough of the rights type of food, google calories and carbs there, too (I track calories, fat, carbs, sugar, added sugar, fiber, protein and sodium). Make sure you're getting somewhere between 1800-2200 (healthy) calories per day. Beware of sugar in whatever you're drinking, make sure to get lots of water!

You might even be simply building muscle? How long have you been working out? I didn't lose any weight for an entire month, and then suddenly dropped three pounds, and then a 4th pound this past week. But I was certainly firming up in that time. So sometimes a plateau is simply your body adjusting.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Basically, you are not in a calorie deficit (or enough to show significant weight loss). As hard as you feel you are working, you may only be burning 500 calories during that workout.

Between your eating and drinking, you aren't really creating a deficit.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Your exercise regimen may not be compensating for your less than stellar diet. Fried rice pork buns etc are all sodium bombs which retain water. Retained water shows on the scale. You may need to do more vigorous activity, walking unless it’s brisk doesn’t elevate heart rate.
Those exercises are good but doesn’t do much in the way of cal burning.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Drastically reduce carbs,cut out booze completely and get more cardio into your exercise routine.
If you can I'd get outside at the weekend and start building up the miles on a good run.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1122 View Post
- I normally go out Friday and Saturday nights with my friends which does mean drinking alcohol. Normally around 15 standard drinks per night.
If we're assuming each drink has about 100 calories (and that might be more, depending on what you're drinking,) that's at least 1500 calories for those days just from binge drinking. No amount of squats is going to balance that out.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If we're assuming each drink has about 100 calories (and that might be more, depending on what you're drinking,) that's at least 1500 calories for those days just from binge drinking. No amount of squats is going to balance that out.
Bingo. And that's for hard alcohol. Non-light beers, wines, or cocktails would be more in the 4,000 - 5,000 (or higher range), which offsets the normal 500 - 1,000 calorie deficit most people run when trying to lose weight.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Besides the calories to consider, drinking alcohol will slow or stop weight loss. That's a no-brainer. Try going without it a few weeks and see what happens. That's if you can, if you are an alcoholic that won't be too easy. At 19, I hope you are not and that's not even considering the legality. Beer is the worst. Wine is not as bad plus you can't drink as much, if you drink mixed drinks avoid sugary mixers. Use water, seltzer, diet juice or cola.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Besides the calories to consider, drinking alcohol will slow or stop weight loss. That's a no-brainer. Try going without it a few weeks and see what happens. That's if you can, if you are an alcoholic that won't be too easy. At 19, I hope you are not and that's not even considering the legality. Beer is the worst. Wine is not as bad plus you can't drink as much, if you drink mixed drinks avoid sugary mixers. Use water, seltzer, diet juice or cola.
Or at least cut back to a couple of drinks a week (vs. a couple of dozen.) That's not going to ruin your progress so much.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,175 times
All great replies thank you for the help I’ve never really worried about needing to lose weight up until recently so I’m not ashamed to say I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing so thanks for the helps people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss