Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,991,817 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went to a weight loss program seminar on Saturday. We are somewhat overweight, not obese, but we need to lose about 20 pounds each, and were interested in a medically supervised program. We went to the seminar and the nice lady started the sales pitch. A few minutes in, we were shocked when she introduced her 20-something year old obese daughter, saying she was a chiropractor and had been through the program herself! The office was a combined weight loss/chiropractic office and the daughter was at least 50 pounds overweight. Not only that, the technician who did our BMI measurements was significantly overweight as well.

Why would they do this? If they want to sell a weight loss program, wouldn't they want to present only success stories? We immediately discounted the efficacy of the plan based on the daughter, who worked at the clinic every day. Talk is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,497,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I went to a weight loss program seminar on Saturday. We are somewhat overweight, not obese, but we need to lose about 20 pounds each, and were interested in a medically supervised program. We went to the seminar and the nice lady started the sales pitch. A few minutes in, we were shocked when she introduced her 20-something year old obese daughter, saying she was a chiropractor and had been through the program herself! The office was a combined weight loss/chiropractic office and the daughter was at least 50 pounds overweight. Not only that, the technician who did our BMI measurements was significantly overweight as well.

Why would they do this? If they want to sell a weight loss program, wouldn't they want to present only success stories? We immediately discounted the efficacy of the plan based on the daughter, who worked at the clinic every day. Talk is cheap.
Talk is cheap which is why IMO you don't need a "program" or to pay somebody just to go on a diet. Just do the research and do it. You can start immediately, like on your next meal. 20lbs doesn't sound like a lot. If it was 100lbs or more, that would be different.

As with any diet, consistency is key and in the end, it's up to you to stick with it. Why would I pay someone?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
This is no different than people questioning a fitness trainer who is overweight.

For all you know though the woman who is 50 lbs overweight may be actually losing on the program. At 70 plus pounds overweight it took me awhile before I no longer appeared large. I was steadily losing.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This is no different than people questioning a fitness trainer who is overweight.

For all you know though the woman who is 50 lbs overweight may be actually losing on the program. At 70 plus pounds overweight it took me awhile before I no longer appeared large. I was steadily losing.
Right, the obese daughter might have already lost 50 pounds and feels great about it and the program. Of course, OP can make whatever choices she likes as to proceeding with it.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Stay away from these places. They are there to really make $$$. I mean, I know everyone makes money and should, but this is not about medical supervision. This is about selling you a product.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,520,461 times
Quote:

Hi,
Consume less,move more.
That'll be $500 please.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:11 PM

14 posts, read 7,697 times
Quote:

I agree friend

Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 AM

5 posts, read 3,092 times
Default Don't pay anybody for your weight loss unless you are competing

Quote:

Hi there,

There is no point paying anybody to create a weight loss program and considering how you have to just lose about 20lbs, its pointless. You might as well learn how you can do it yourself and achieve better results, be more happier and most importantly, save some $$$.

I have lost 155lbs and I can proudly say the only thing I spent on was my gym membership, my food and necessary supplements.

I was not expert. I researched, learnt myself every day doing mistakes and not giving up. It took me close to 3.5 years to be where I am today. Constant battle between I don't want to do today, vs lets go to gym. Learnt patience is the main key and being consistent.

From my experience, I would recommend you to first read about BMR and TDEE. Once you understand that, create a diet chart giving about 10-15% calorie deficit from your TDEE and let your calories come only from whole natural foods and nothing processed/ sugar etc.

Do this consistently changing diet as per your goals and you will see miracles happen

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 11-09-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Quote:

Why would they do this? If they want to sell a weight loss program, wouldn't they want to present only success stories? .
No...what for???when people like you will still flock to their seminars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss