Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,445 times

Advertisements

Really not understanding what's going on here. Maybe I do to some extent. Here goes-started watching my diet and walking daily with hikes on the weekends. Average walking distance per day is 2 miles. Hikes vary. although this past Saturday I put in a massive 20 mile hike in the smokies with a 3100' climb.

One would think that the major increase in activity and a big hike where I basically perspired a ton of water, and the fact that I've cut nearly all soda out would be a significant decrease in weight. This morning, not only did I not lose weight, I gained nearly five pounds.

So, a visit to the Dr is in order sometime in the next week. Time to check out thyroid levels, A1C to assess for diabetes and liver enzymes. Only thing I can account for the weight gain is my body must have some serious water retention from the huge hike. I understand that when you do some major work to your muscles and cause microtears (not unlike lifting) your body will retain water. Still, it's frustrating to put the work in and really make sacrifices and just not see any net results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Really not understanding what's going on here. Maybe I do to some extent. Here goes-started watching my diet and walking daily with hikes on the weekends. Average walking distance per day is 2 miles. Hikes vary. although this past Saturday I put in a massive 20 mile hike in the smokies with a 3100' climb.

One would think that the major increase in activity and a big hike where I basically perspired a ton of water, and the fact that I've cut nearly all soda out would be a significant decrease in weight. This morning, not only did I not lose weight, I gained nearly five pounds.

So, a visit to the Dr is in order sometime in the next week. Time to check out thyroid levels, A1C to assess for diabetes and liver enzymes. Only thing I can account for the weight gain is my body must have some serious water retention from the huge hike. I understand that when you do some major work to your muscles and cause microtears (not unlike lifting) your body will retain water. Still, it's frustrating to put the work in and really make sacrifices and just not see any net results.
I wouldn't expect any massive weight loss.

The hike might burn 3,500 calories or so with the elevation and it's tougher than walking on paved streets plus pack weight. Two miles a day walking is nothing really. About four Oreo cookies. Completely normal to have weight gain following something like a 20 mile hike if you're not used to it. Tear up muscles, get inflammation = gain weight.

If you want to lose weight you need to watch how much you're eating. I always ate pretty well, but when I stopped doing competitive sports I got fat in a hurry. I just was used to eating 4,000 calories a day so I kept doing that even though I needed nowhere near that many calories anymore.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,519,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

Giving up soda and going for a long walk does not automatically mean weight loss.
What are you eating and drinking every day and how much is your daily calorie intake ?
And frankly you're far better off walking one mile fast than endless miles at an amble.You need to get your heart rate up into the 130/40s for shorter periods as well as the longer walks.
If you ain't sweatin' it ain't workin'.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,020,106 times
Weight loss is something like 90% intake reduction and 10% exercise. The exercise is good, Great even! Keep it up!

Take a look at what else you are eating and drinking - how healthy is it? How many calories? Giving up soda is HUGE, but often not enough.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
Your quick weight gain is due to the hike.

While great to be moving, your 2 mile walk is going to do nothing for weight loss. Believe me, I tried that. I actually didn't start to see any weight loss difference due to exercise until a did a combination of reducing my caloric intake significantly AND I did the Couch To 5K running program. Around week 4 or 5 of the program, I noticed the pounds really started coming off--that's where you do more jogging than walking, even if it's a slow jog.

That's not to say that giving up soda and walking around at a moderate pace is useless. It's not. What it equates to, though, is an extremely slow weight loss (like maybe a 1-2 lbs per month). You haven't created enough of a deficit.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,769,638 times
If I'm trying to lose weight, I do best walking 4 mph for at least an hour a day. If I want to increase my strength (heart, lungs, legs) I go hiking in the mountains. I don't lose weight hiking even though I sweat more and it's much harder.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
You need to record everything you eat. Its a great way to see where the problem is. You are obviously consuming more calories than your body is burning.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 AM

9,484 posts, read 5,266,652 times
I think another factor is, if you are burning way more than you are taking in, your body may go into 'starvation mode,' because it senses you are not taking in enough nutrients, so it will not burn excess in anticipation of needing them later, if that makes sense.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I think another factor is, if you are burning way more than you are taking in, your body may go into 'starvation mode,' because it senses you are not taking in enough nutrients, so it will not burn excess in anticipation of needing them later, if that makes sense.
That really doesn't happen and if it does it is minor and does not last.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
You've just started. Too soon to see any "significant decrease in weight". Any weight lost by water is quickly replenished. You are modifying your lifestyle - eating healthier and moving more - weight loss honestly is a byproduct of that. Your body isn't this machine that does what you'd expect it to do, trust me on that. You will have to weather the frustration and stick to your goal if you hope to succeed. Every day without a soda is an accomplishment that's being overlooked by the fact that you didn't lose gobs of weight. Congratulate yourself on those simple milestones. Each time that you replace an unhealthy choice with a healthy one is a battle that's won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss