Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 PM

265 posts, read 242,186 times

Advertisements

I heard many success stories about the keto diet. People I know losing from 40 to 80 pounds in less than a year. Then I seen youtube videos that I believe did the diet, and were also successful. So I am pretty certain it works, based on hear and say.

My question is, can I do the keto diet for a few months like 6, lose weight, and then go back to a 2000 calorie diet to maintain? Or will I gain the weight back since I would be eating sugar and carbs again? I wonder if I can do keto, then continue losing with eating less than 2000 calories a day, with 1 hour exercise 4 times a week?

Thank you, google did not help. Maybe I looked up the wrong key words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,515,675 times
Successful diets are not temporary, they have to become a lifestyle of sorts. You could do a strict keto diet and then not so strict? You will probably get numerous responses saying the same old thing, calories in calories out.

Caloric restriction slows down metabolism. It's the body's mechanism for self-preservation. You can compensate and keep up your metabolism with exercise but you have to keep at it. If you let up for an extended period you may not burn all that you eat.

You can answer your own question by just doing the CICO 2k a day. I assume it didn't work for you and you are looking at alternatives? Do you gain weight doing that?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,561 times
Hey Mike, though i've never done the keto diet I do have experience with similar strict diets in the past. To answer your question I would definitely recommend that you do a reverse diet and slowly move from KETO back to 2k calorie diet. What I mean by this is once you start your 2k diet you exercise maybe only twice that week and record how your body reacts by weighing yourself every morning when you wake up and by take progress pictures towards the end the week. Therefore you're able to make proper adjustments to either your exercising routine or calorie intake.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:07 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,551,020 times
Folks - you do realize that you lose weight on keto due to having a caloric deficit right? LOL

Keto's claim to fame really is that fat is calorie dense, so you feel fuller. And with any diet, you eat only to appetite.

https://rnnr.us/2017/11/26/personal-...lorie-deficit/

"Do you still need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight? Or does keto have a different mechanism of action?

The short answer is that yes, even on keto you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

If you want to drop the excess body fat, you’ll need to force your body to use your own fat stores, and this is achieved through maintaining a deficit over a period of time (typically at least a few weeks or months, based on your goals and how aggressively you’re willing to diet)."

OP, keto is a lifestyle change. Going into it knowing fully well you're not gonna stick with it for a while may end up not working for you. Why don't you just lower your carb intake to levels you can handle?

I lost 70 lbs in less than a year not due to keto. I also exercised, which burns up whatever carbs I eat. Couple caloric deficit with working out = weight loss. At the time, I was eating probably 150-200g of carbs a day. I'm eating a little less just because I've added almonds into my diet to replace my daily popcorn habit, so my fat consumption went up to 42g and my carbs went down to 100-120.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,312,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
I heard many success stories about the keto diet. People I know losing from 40 to 80 pounds in less than a year. Then I seen youtube videos that I believe did the diet, and were also successful. So I am pretty certain it works, based on hear and say.

My question is, can I do the keto diet for a few months like 6, lose weight, and then go back to a 2000 calorie diet to maintain? Or will I gain the weight back since I would be eating sugar and carbs again? I wonder if I can do keto, then continue losing with eating less than 2000 calories a day, with 1 hour exercise 4 times a week?

Thank you, google did not help. Maybe I looked up the wrong key words.
Maybe. I eat around 2,600-2,800 to maintain, so I'd lose a lot eating 2,000 or less.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,020 times
Hey Mike, what I would recommend is ease yourself into the keto diet. Its is a lifestyle and if you go into it thinking to just do a few months you might be setting yourself up to fail. Also a big change in food and workouts might be difficult if you dont have a very strong mindset or self discipline. Everyone has to start somewhere and it's better to do it right the first time rather that just jump in and a month or two just stop doing it because it's not working. Be patient and listen to your body and let it adjust properly with your mind as well. Before you know it the lbs. will be coming off.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 AM

244 posts, read 236,815 times
Something to think about the Keto(Atkins) diet is that your body can only digest (more accurately, use) 30g of protein in one meal or 4oz per day. As pointed out by a recent visit to a certified dietician, a Keto diet can really stress out your kidneys. Contrary to what I previously thought, excess protein does not get turned into fat because your kidneys have to eliminate the excess protein.

If you have compromised kidneys, many older people do, the Keto diet can actually be dangerous.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,551,020 times
as someone who lifts, i actually need more protein, not less. so that's yet one more reason why i don't do keto.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 AM

3,671 posts, read 6,590,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Folks - you do realize that you lose weight on keto due to having a caloric deficit right? LOL

Keto's claim to fame really is that fat is calorie dense, so you feel fuller. And with any diet, you eat only to appetite.

https://rnnr.us/2017/11/26/personal-...lorie-deficit/

"Do you still need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight? Or does keto have a different mechanism of action?

The short answer is that yes, even on keto you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

If you want to drop the excess body fat, you’ll need to force your body to use your own fat stores, and this is achieved through maintaining a deficit over a period of time (typically at least a few weeks or months, based on your goals and how aggressively you’re willing to diet)."

OP, keto is a lifestyle change. Going into it knowing fully well you're not gonna stick with it for a while may end up not working for you. Why don't you just lower your carb intake to levels you can handle?

I lost 70 lbs in less than a year not due to keto. I also exercised, which burns up whatever carbs I eat. Couple caloric deficit with working out = weight loss. At the time, I was eating probably 150-200g of carbs a day. I'm eating a little less just because I've added almonds into my diet to replace my daily popcorn habit, so my fat consumption went up to 42g and my carbs went down to 100-120.
The disciples of keto do not care for your voodoo science, they know their's to be the one true thing. They have uncovered the harsh truth that the laws of physics are a sham and that weight loss can only be achieved via tricking the body into an odd, previously thought to be unnatural state as a means to discard stored energy.

Seriously, people who follow keto or IF/OMAD start spouting facts and formulas like they are Nobel prize winning scientists. While their success using those concepts are likely real, they reject the notion that it worked because they ultimately created a consistent calorie deficit.

Reject carbs, restrict your eating to a specific time, whatever works for you. But it only works because at the end of the day, you consumed less energy than your body needed to run itself and it tapped into stored energy to make up the shortfall. That's simple physics and something proven over and over again in tests by the real experts.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:46 AM

244 posts, read 236,815 times
I spoke to a dietitian that believed if you cut your calories back you wouldn’t loose weight because of “famine mode”. I wondered if she had ever watched “Naked and Afraid” TV show where they regularly loose weight in 21 days by cutting back on calories. There is a point you will loose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss