Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,563,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
Yes, reducing calories long-term should produce weight loss, but less than you may want. After six months your body normally fights back by reducing your basal metabolism. Hence, the dreaded plateau.
I haven't heard of a truly plateau free diet. The dreaded plateau happens with all diets.

I do agree with a lot of what this site says about keto and dieting in general. At the end of the day, all weight loss is determined by caloric intake, regardless of diet. All involve reduction of calories, whether one realizes it or not.

https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-...loss-plateaus/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 11:59 PM

21,982 posts, read 25,338,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I never said NO insulin, the only ones with NO insulin as you stated are type 1's and the vast majority of them, like 99% are thin. Gee, I wonder why? Anybody that can think logically will see that anyone with a LACK of insulin cannot gain weight. So again, using the same logic, anybody with excess or in other words more insulin than they need will have a LOT of trouble losing weight or not be able to do it at all.
Actually, they're not. They're frequently overweight and obese.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780841

Of course they can get fat. Not in your world, maybe, where fat or protein can be eaten in unlimited quantities andd magically disappear but in reality they most definitely can and do. They either manage it with either diet (low carb) and exercise or they take insulin. Even if they're not taking insulin they obviously can still get fat.

Unless you're taking insulin having more insulin than you need doesn't happen. Endogenous insulin has very short half-life, so within a few minutes of no longer needing it due to blood sugar returning to normal it stops being produced at elevated levels and breaks down and blood insulin returns to normal fasting level.
Quote:
You can't lower BS without insulin. High insulin, low blood sugar, yes.
Yes, you can. Skeletal muscles do not need insulin to uptake blood glucose. Get some exercise.

Quote:
Full Article
A short primer on how to Lose Weight — What to Eat and When to Eat

Hey, and guess who wrote the above article?

So who's posting the nonsense?
Fung, of course. The doctor who has no qualms misrepresenting studies when they don't support his narratives. Whether or not he actually believes all the stupid he spews, I have no idea. You'd never see that in a peer reviewed journal. It's simply too stupid to make it through peer review. If you really believe it, go ahead and add a pound of bacon to every meal you eat for a month and let us know about all your weight loss.

The funny thing is I don't even disagree with his ultimate recommendations all that much. They're, for most people, pretty decent ones. I'm just not an ends justify the means type of guy. All the ridiculously bald-faced lies he uses to justify his recommendations just alienates me. I honestly doubt he believes them. He's just dumbing it down to an extreme level to make his point. It doesn't do it for me. If you really pinned him down on it, I doubt he honestly believes people can just eat five pounds of butter a day and lose weight. That's damn close to zero carb and only 10 grams of protein. It's also 8,000 calories.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-21-2018 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 03:50 AM

16 posts, read 11,218 times
Quote:
The main benefits of fasting come from the period when you DO NOT eat. When you do not eat is when the fat burning takes place, insulin levels drop and autophagy takes place. The word autophagy in this context (fasting) is relatively new but in essence, it is a cellular cleansing. In addition to insulin levels dropping, growth hormone rises which helps with fat burning. There is another hormone that also increases and that is glucagon which is also beneficial. Glucagon prevents blood sugar from going too low when insulin levels drop.

You eat only to satisfy your dietary needs or hunger if there is any. What happens when you DO EAT or lack thereof as in caloric reduction does not tell the whole story. In fact, there are tests that show that not eating for a period of up to 4 days will actually increase your metabolism and by default, help to burn fat. Granted, most people eat every day.

Since many here are fixated on the same old CICO idea, yes you do consume fewer calories during a restricted eating window but in addition to that, the fasting window provides the benefits. BOTH factors combined is a great way to lose weight and/or stay healthy.
First i am sorry for my english i am form croatia.
Now we cant luck at it like that that onli 2% sucide becouse the other 98% just werent in the mind state to stick to the plan. I personaly think that is the best way to lose weight and there is a few tricks to stick on to the plan. For example you make a deal with your self that you are not going to cut your hair until you get to the weight that you want.
So before you thing that I am trying to sell you something this thing is compleately free no shiping or anything becosue it is an online product. I haw writen a book on weight loss and in the next 3 days it will be 100% free no shiping becouse it is an e-book. I would sugeste that you get it it doesnt cost you anything liturarly and you can just benefite from it. If you are interesting hire is the link

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-loss-M...1iL&ref=plSrch

Please leave a positive rewiev and if you got any sugestions or something that you are not happy with contact me please.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,271,257 times
-haven't read this thread thru, so hope I'm not repeating anything already established:

-"autophagy" is a rubric covering normal healing & recycling on the cellular level + normal mobilization of energy stores in fat cells + adaptive mechanisms in unusual stress situations, and then they throw in disrupting cancer cells (not the same--this involves cell recognition & immune system).

-if you go long enough without eating to deplete your glycogen stores, you will start mobilizing fat stores (lipolysis), technically a form of "self eating," but a trivial case, and if you get to concentration camp type starvation conditions, you will start sacrificing less important intracellular components (Cf- the jokes about 4 guys in a lifeboat with food only enough for 1-- who jumps in first?)

-after a couple days on low/no cal diet, your metabolism adapts (increased cortisone and intracellular metabolic changes making you less sensitive to insulin) to make you more efficient at energy usage. That's why you lose wt quickly the first few days on a diet, but then the wt loss slows down.

-while T2 DM is polygenic, it's basically an adaptation to life in an environment where food is scarce and hard to come by. Note that the Hopis of the SW, a desert with little available food sources, survived quite nicely for millennia, but in "civilization" (defined as readily available Ho Ho's & Ding Dongs) they have a 50% rate of DM. Reduced insulin sensitivity is a trait with high survival value when food is scarce. The true physiological role of insulin is not to regulate BS, but to regulate lipolysis/lipogenesis.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:31 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
2. Despite anecdotal claims to the contrary, calorie restrictive diets do not work long term, but result in around +/- 98% failure rate. And yet, doctors keep telling people to follow this "eat less/exercise more" model and blame the patient when it doesn't work. Patients also blame themselves when the reality is, the failure is not some sort of character flaw, but a function of insulin and metabolism.
I agree, to a certain extent. Personally, I have found that eating healthily and not counting calories is the best way to lose weight. But this only worked for me when I was radically honest and exclusive about my diet. When I was 20 and unhappy about my ever increasing weight, I decided to cut out all sweets always no matter what as well as anything that could remotely be considered junk food. I even excluded things like pizza and pre-prepared food that could arguably have been called healthy just to be on the safe side. (Let’s face it, you’re not going to hurt your health by not having pizza, cheese steak subs or corn muffins). I remember I didn’t even have cake or desserts on my birthday. When I was in a situation where there was nothing to eat because every single available food item was off limits, I just had water and waited to the next meal. (This actually only happened to me once, when I was at an amusement park with some friends.) However, I allowed myself to eat as much as I wanted of my safe foods. No calorie restriction at all.

I craved sweets for about 2-3 weeks and after that I had no desire for them whatsoever and didn’t feel deprived. I think there must have undergone some kind of physiological or metabolic change. When I went shopping, I eventually wound up seeing sweets and desserts as “not food.” And when I eventually had some candy again a year later, it didn’t taste good. It just tasted weird, as in “not food.”

I kept this diet up for one year. I walked a lot because I didn’t own a car at the time, but aside from that I didn’t make any effort to exercise. I also did not step on the scale once to check how I was doing. When I did weigh myself a year later, I was shocked to see that I had lost 20 lbs. I guess I didn’t even notice that my clothes had gotten a little looser. Better still, I never regain those 20 lbs and am now at age 54 another 20 pounds lighter.

I tried to replicate the same diet later in life, but could never succeed to the same extent partly, I think, because I became more socially aware and thus found it more difficult to say no to even a little taste of something (and also because I was less unhappy about my weight.) When I was 20, I had no problems whatsoever hurting people’s feelings and being strange. “Oh you made these special cookies from your recently passed Mom’s recipe? Just for me? And it took you 4 hours? Well, sorry I’m not even going to have a taste! I’m on a special diet! And it’s working!” But seriously, sometimes you just need to be “cruel” and stick to your guns.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,522,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, you can. Skeletal muscles do not need insulin to uptake blood glucose. Get some exercise.
We were talking about lowering BG, that's what insulin does, exercise also LOWERs BG, it does not raise it. Exercise depletes the glycogen (fuel) in the cells. Insulin delivers BG from the blood to the cells and stores it as glycogen. This is not the case with the poster we were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, they're not. They're frequently overweight and obese.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780841

Of course they can get fat. Not in your world, maybe, where fat or protein can be eaten in unlimited quantities andd magically disappear but in reality they most definitely can and do. They either manage it with either diet (low carb) and exercise or they take insulin. Even if they're not taking insulin they obviously can still get fat.

Unless you're taking insulin having more insulin than you need doesn't happen. Endogenous insulin has very short half-life, so within a few minutes of no longer needing it due to blood sugar returning to normal it stops being produced at elevated levels and breaks down and blood insulin returns to normal fasting level.

Again, your opinion means nothing in the grander scheme of things, maybe to you but no one else. Fung, of course. The doctor who has no qualms misrepresenting studies when they don't support his narratives. Whether or not he actually believes all the stupid he spews, I have no idea. You'd never see that in a peer reviewed journal. It's simply too stupid to make it through peer review. If you really believe it, go ahead and add a pound of bacon to every meal you eat for a month and let us know about all your weight loss.

The funny thing is I don't even disagree with his ultimate recommendations all that much. They're, for most people, pretty decent ones. I'm just not an ends justify the means type of guy. All the ridiculously bald-faced lies he uses to justify his recommendations just alienates me. I honestly doubt he believes them. He's just dumbing it down to an extreme level to make his point. It doesn't do it for me. If you really pinned him down on it, I doubt he honestly believes people can just eat five pounds of butter a day and lose weight. That's damn close to zero carb and only 10 grams of protein. It's also 8,000 calories.
Again, your opinion means nothing in the grander scheme of things, maybe to you but no one else Fung is a well known, pretty highly regarded doctor. There are no peer reviews because he has none or very few. Most others are still on the stupid CICO bandwagon including most doctors. Most doctors are sheep and just repeat what the establishment is saying which is highly flawed and biased. Fact is CICO does not work for most. Calories are not calories, 100 calories of cookies do not equal 100 calories of broccoli. They are not metabolized the same way, no way, no how, doesn't matter how many times you say so.

I speak of both major types of insulin, daily (BASAL) and post-meal (BOLUS). Overweight Type 1 diabetics are that way because they eat whatever they want (they shouldn't) and take enough insulin (both types) to cover the bad, highly glycemic food. They repeat this pattern day in day out and guess what, they get overweight. From what?, the insulin. So essentially the same thing happens to them that happens to many many overweight people, not just diabetics. Whether the insulin is injected or produced by the pancreas, the mere presence of that much insulin causes weight gain. If you repeat this again and again, you get fat, regardless. Type 1 diabetics are overweight because they eat too many carbs and inject the necessary insulin to cover those carbs. Am I repeating myself? The ADA recommends 45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal which is WAY too high for anyone, especially diabetics. They do this based on a standard dose of insulin. The key is to reduce carb intake and insulin doses along with it. The ADA, although they are improving somewhat, is a corrupt, biased organization which in the past has taken money from food and pharma companies (they still do). This creates a major conflict of interest. They do not want diabetics to get better, they want to keep selling drugs! Why would they recommend low carb? That would hurt the drug companies' business and reduce funding. The ADA has also had Coca Cola as a sponsor!

As for Type-1's being overweight, this is a relatively new phenomenon by the way and correlates with the popularity of the SAD. Diabetics SHOULD NOT be eating the SAD, period. In the past type-1 diabetics have always struggled to keep weight on.
Why Are Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Overweight and What Can Help?

Fung was just on NPR yesterday as a matter of fact. This was just a coincidence, he is really gaining popularity, I wonder why? Because what he says works, who needs peers?
Therapeutic use of intermittent fasting for people with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin

Last edited by gguerra; 11-21-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,928,666 times
Quote:
Again, your opinion means nothing in the grander scheme of things, maybe to you but no one else. Fung is a well known, pretty highly regarded doctor. There are no peer reviews because he has none or very few. Most others are still on the stupid CICO bandwagon including most doctors. Most doctors are sheep and just repeat what the establishment is saying which is highly flawed and biased. Fact is CICO does not work for most. Calories are not calories, 100 calories of cookies do not equal 100 calories of broccoli. They are not metabolized the same way, no way, no how, doesn't matter how many times you say so.

Overweight Type 1 diabetics are that way because they eat whatever they want (they shouldn't) and take enough insulin to cover the bad, highly glycemic food. They repeat this pattern day in day out and guess what, they get overweight. From what?, the insulin. So essentially the same thing happens to them that happens to many many overweight people, not just diabetics. Whether the insulin is injected or produced by the pancreas, the mere presence of that much insulin causes weight gain. If you repeat this again and again, you get fat, regardless. Type 1 diabetics are overweight because they eat too many carbs and inject the necessary insulin to cover those carbs. Am I repeating myself? The ADA recommends 45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal which is WAY too high for anyone, especially diabetics. They do this based on a standard dose of insulin. The key is to reduce carb intake and insulin doses along with it. The ADA, although they are improving somewhat, is a corrupt, biased organization which in the past has taken money from food and pharma companies (they still do). This creates a major conflict of interest. They do not want diabetics to get better, they want to keep selling drugs! Why would they recommend low carb? That would hurt the drug companies' business and reduce funding. The ADA has also had Coca Cola as a sponsor!

This is a relatively new phenomenon by the way and correlates with the popularity of the SAD. Diabetics SHOULD NOT be eating the SAD, period. In the past type-1 diabetics have always struggled to keep weight on.
Why Are Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Overweight and What Can Help?

Fung was just on NPR yesterday as a matter of fact. This was just a coincidence, he is really gaining popularity, I wonder why? Because what he says works, who needs peers?
Therapeutic use of intermittent fasting for people with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin
Still can't rep you as I would like to, but of course you are right on point. I think, in evaluating remarks, two things should be taken into consideration: (1) Intent--does the poster have the optimal positive welfare of others in mind or, alternatively, does not care or even wishes to do as much damage as possible; and (2) How genuinely honest and ethical are they.

Intent is important because it indicates whether the remarks can be trusted. Dr. Fung is, by every indicator, trustworthy, in my opinion, because he wants to help patients and is willing to break the traditional mold when it's not effective. Professionally, that takes a lot of courage and I find it admirable. Advances like pasturizing milk or washing hands before surgery, to give two examples, were initially met with ridicule.

Honesty is important and speaks to intellectual integrity. Following the evidence wherever it may lead, even if it challenges long established practices, is an example of integrity. What both of these demonstrate is there is still, as there always has been, opportunity for courage and heroism.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Then I am a Medical Miracle because I routinely have insulin in the 5 range -- normal to low -- and blood sugar in the 85 range. Perhaps normal but on the low side.

But the proof is in the pudding. The fact is there are people that low carb and lose more weight than those who reduce calories and even the studies are split in the middle. Some people it works for, some people it doesn't.
Normal blood sugar is 70 to 99.

87 is the ideal number for blood sugar which happens to be right in between the 70-99, so your 85 is perfect. 60 is low and you would probably feel faint if you were that low. As I said, it's difficult to guess unless you are low and even then you would have to recognize it. Many diabetics would know the feeling. The best way is with a meter.

Last edited by gguerra; 11-21-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
. The true physiological role of insulin is not to regulate BS, but to regulate lipolysis/lipogenesis.
Actually, it's both. Before the discovery of insulin in the 1920's, Type 1 DM was a death sentence. People take it for granted now.

Insulin: Discovery and Controversy

Last edited by gguerra; 11-21-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,297,000 times
Quote:
Whether the insulin is injected or produced by the pancreas, the mere presence of that much insulin causes weight gain. If you repeat this again and again, you get fat, regardless.
No doubt in my mind that this is correct because I have experienced it in a measurable way.
The way I do battle with this now is through lo-carb and fasting.
It reduces my insulin intake significantly while also reducing the calories in. Result: weight loss.

Quote:
Normal blood sugar is 70 to 99.

87 is the ideal number for blood sugar which happens to be right in between the 70-99, so your 85 is perfect. 60 is low and you would probably feel faint if you were that low. As I said, it's difficult to guess unless you are low and even then you would have to recognize it. Many diabetics would know the feeling. The best way is with a meter.
I can recognize it without a meter, but I measure to see where it is. I feel it at 70.
At 60, I get hot and start sweating. Below 60, I see white spots.

When I know I'm going to eat something bad, I strike preemptively and take a big shot and try to get the insulin and carbs to kick in at the same time.
I will be doing this tomorrow. I'm actually pretty good at it, but I've actually had a low sugar episode while eating pasta. I was eating pasta, so it didn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss