Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Ha! I say the exact opposite! A calorie IS a calorie.

What I'm referring to is the fact that one does not need to eat 100% "healthy" foods in order to lose weight. You could eat solely twinkies for a month and just so long as you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

But you will most likely feel like junk. And I think that's what they mean when they say a calorie is NOT a calorie. A balanced diet, including vegetables and proteins, etc. is a much healthier way to eat and lose weight (just so long as you are taking in a caloric deficit).

I think a balanced diet should include your favorite foods, because if I restrict myself to solely healthy foods I am setting myself up for failure. Who wants to live on broccoli and cottage cheese? Blech. Just my personal experience over the years....
In the context of a unit of energy, a calorie is a calorie.

calorie /cal·o·rie/ (kal´ah-re) any of several units of heat defined as the amount of heat required to raise 1 g of water 1°C at a specified temperature; the calorie used in chemistry and biochemistry is equal to 4.184 joules. Abbreviated cal.

In the context of the human body, 100 calories of Brocolli DOES NOT equal 100 calories of donuts. They are metabolized differently and hormones have a direct effect on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 AM

7,161 posts, read 12,723,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Ha! I say the exact opposite! A calorie IS a calorie.

What I'm referring to is the fact that one does not need to eat 100% "healthy" foods in order to lose weight. You could eat solely twinkies for a month and just so long as you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

But you will most likely feel like junk. And I think that's what they mean when they say a calorie is NOT a calorie. A balanced diet, including vegetables and proteins, etc. is a much healthier way to eat and lose weight (just so long as you are taking in a caloric deficit).

I think a balanced diet should include your favorite foods, because if I restrict myself to solely healthy foods I am setting myself up for failure. Who wants to live on broccoli and cottage cheese? Blech. Just my personal experience over the years....
I guess I have a different viewpoint of what constitutes "Healthy Foods." Goodness gracious, I couldn't live on a diet of broccoli & cottage cheese, either.

But I seem to flourish on fish, chicken, turkey, leafy salads, all sorts of steamed and roasted vegetables and veggie stir-fries, fruits, eggs, lentils, beans, brown rice, veggie soups, veggie chili, and tofu prepared in numerous ways.

When I diet, I just make and eat smaller portions, and eliminate all the white carbs of white flour and sugar, including HFCS. Goodbye to all "snack" foods except some nuts. And I amp up the exercise.

I drink nothing but plain water, plain tea, one cup of morning coffee, and maybe a glass of wine with dinner.

Almost every day, I have a small square of dark chocolate for dessert.

Do I feel deprived? Nope, not at all. I've read a lot about nutrition and have found lots of cookbooks and magazines and web sites that have helped me discover how to shop, cook and eat healthy foods. I prefer to call them "wholesome and nourishing" foods instead of "healthy" which is a loaded word that many of us quibble over...

I was raised on meat and potatoes, TV dinners, soda, and lots of snacks like potato chips but I can't eat that way any longer and stay well.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,554,577 times
I do believe that a calorie is a calorie. If there's a deficit, you will lose weight. If I were to eat 1400 calories of garbage, I would lose weight over time. The problem would be that garbage is often not filling/satiating and provides trace or no nutrients. They often contain too much salt and sugar. Very few people though can eat just 1400 calories of unhealthy food unless they consciously do so because those foods encourage overeating and are often high calorie to start with. So yeah, it's not smart to have your diet dominated by chips, snacks, ice cream, french fries.

I lost weight and improved health by reducing calories and increasing exercise. By consuming mostly healthy foods, i spared myself gastric distress and other problems. However, I do regularly indulge in unhealthy foods in moderation. Each individual's idea of moderation may vary, but for me, it's my weekly "cheat day". I've been employing this strategy for over two years, so far so good and most importantly, it's stopped binges and out of control eating.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
In the context of a unit of energy, a calorie is a calorie.

calorie /cal·o·rie/ (kal´ah-re) any of several units of heat defined as the amount of heat required to raise 1 g of water 1°C at a specified temperature; the calorie used in chemistry and biochemistry is equal to 4.184 joules. Abbreviated cal.

In the context of the human body, 100 calories of Brocolli DOES NOT equal 100 calories of donuts. They are metabolized differently and hormones have a direct effect on this.
(CNN) -- Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.
For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.
But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
Haub's sample day
Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat

Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat

Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat

whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat

baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat

Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat

Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat

Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat

Totals: 1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat
Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.
For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.
Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
Haub's sample day

Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.
Of course if we cloned him and had Mark A eat the Twinkie diet and Mark B eat decent food choices of the same calories, that would be even more informative as far as that goes. We already know from other studies that simply losing weight improves those biological markers but would they look better in Twinkies Mark A and real food Mark B post diet?

Also, he's a professor of nutrition. I suspect his diet was pretty decent beforehand. As far as your vitamins, minerals, and trace nutrients go you can go for a while before deficiencies really show up to have an ill effect especially when supplementing with vitamins, a small amount of vegetables, and a protein shake. The downsides of a Twinkie diet may just take longer than 10 weeks to manifest themselves, something I suspect factored into his decision to do it for 10 weeks instead of 10 years. I doubt you could pay him enough to get him to eat it for 10 years.

But yeah, it sort of illustrates the point. Calories are calories when it comes to weight. Eat less calories than you need, you'll lose weight. Twinkies of Hostess cupcakes may make it harder, as they're not particularly filling and produce that insulin-hunger cycle, but if you stick to the calories it works. And there is the consistency aspect. If you take people on calorie-restricted diets, the ones who eat processed foods do better when it comes to weight loss. The calories are there on the box and the box does a better job of counting calories than people do preparing whole foods.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Haub's sample day

So what? and what's up with the bolded text? It won't make a difference. Go ahead and try it then. A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE!!!

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
So what? and what's up with the bolded text? It won't make a difference. Go ahead and try it then. A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE!!!
Sure it is. I bolded it because it might be easier to read. Sorry.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:56 PM

3,992 posts, read 5,188,969 times
Man, I get real sick of these spammers.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 345 times
Default Weight loss

Hi, I have read many weight loss post. I have tried all types of diets that seem to have the same results. After much research I seemed to have been doing things wrong. I was told that before starting a diet, I should do a detox program to cleanse my system. I would like some input from anyone that has tried it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Last edited by hilmark; 02-05-2019 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 02-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilmark View Post
Hi, I have read many weight loss post. I have tried all types of diets that seem to have the same results. After much research I seemed to have been doing things wrong. I was told that before starting a diet, I should do a detox program to cleanse my system. I would like some input from anyone that has tried it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Detox and cleanse have no meanings when it comes to losing weight. They are just buzzwords that people glom onto.
Your body detoxes everyday. It also cleanses itself by pooing and peeing.
You do not need to do anything to prep yourself for losing weight. Just consume less calories than you burn. There are a few different avenues to choose from to get to that result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss