Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 AM

11 posts, read 6,087 times

Advertisements

For those of you who work out at home, what do you do for cardio when it's to cold to go outside? I'm just starting BBG and I really want to stick to it, but I feel like the cardio is a key component. I can't really afford a gym membership right now and it's a cold winter here in Colorado. Any suggestions are appreciated!!(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 04:56 AM

128 posts, read 106,326 times
Do you have any interior stairs in your home? If so, you could use those for stepping. II use to have a landing with one step up to the living room. I would stand on the landing and do left foot up, right foot up, left foot down, right foot down then reverse sides. It's not ideal but it's at least something. After 20 minutes or so you can get your heart rate up enough to be beneficial.

You could also possibly scour craigslist for a cheap treadmill.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,284,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciblue View Post
I like ellipticals better. No electricity required.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciblue View Post
Do you have any interior stairs in your home? If so, you could use those for stepping. II use to have a landing with one step up to the living room. I would stand on the landing and do left foot up, right foot up, left foot down, right foot down then reverse sides. It's not ideal but it's at least something. After 20 minutes or so you can get your heart rate up enough to be beneficial.
That's not a bad idea, thank's.

Last edited by mrjohnsmitt; 12-04-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,270,795 times
I live on a hill and was going up-and-down 30-90 minutes per session. Then at age 72, developed arthritis in rt. knee and ankle. The hill descent, rather than ascent, is what did the damage. Going down hills really exerts gravitational pressure.

Replaced that activity with an Xiser mini stepper, elliptical, and a rebounder (sort of a mini trampoline). They don't take up much space in the garage and of course they're out of the bad weather. No more knee, ankle issues.

The Xiser ain't cheap, about $400, but it will last. All three devices deliver a cardio workout as good as the hill climbing and descent.

Also have a weight room but that ship has sailed because of shoulder damage due to decades of lifting. I use light resistance bands now for "non-cardio" work.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:43 PM

3,261 posts, read 2,152,312 times
Jump Rope and light weight kettle bell

Old 12-11-2018, 04:17 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,587,774 times
Used treadmills run around $100, a little more for a better quality device. You can also buy a step and use that easily enough. I will actually jog in place while watching television, bounce on an exercise ball and pace around my house to keep active and get my steps in. I've been at this for nearly two years and have learned the only obstacles to achieving our fitness goals exist in our minds.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I've been at this for nearly two years and have learned the only obstacles to achieving our fitness goals exist in our minds.
Absolutely right!

Old 12-22-2018, 04:02 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,434,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohnsmitt View Post
For those of you who work out at home, what do you do for cardio when it's to cold to go outside? I'm just starting BBG and I really want to stick to it, but I feel like the cardio is a key component. I can't really afford a gym membership right now and it's a cold winter here in Colorado. Any suggestions are appreciated!!(:
Worth taking a look, is this short video. You don't have to make it an HIIT workout but an SS cardio one if you want to.

I posted a list of the 7 exercises, which you can edit or adjust in the "Exercise" room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOuh73cGGQ

Old 12-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Worth taking a look, is this short video. You don't have to make it an HIIT workout but an SS cardio one if you want to.

I posted a list of the 7 exercises, which you can edit or adjust in the "Exercise" room.
Many thanks. I live in a flat and have had a couple of complaints about the noise!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss