Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM

57 posts, read 60,776 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased exercise bands and now when I am watching TV I use them as well as medicine balls. I also park a block away so as to get more steps. Why exercise ? Besides burning more calories being more muscular raises your metabolism. Also, for the elderly like me, age 70, we must stay active to stave off muscle decline as long as possible. Anyone else have ways to sneak in exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,302,363 times
Something about the way those exercise bands work gave me really bad tendonitis in my elbow.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Something about the way those exercise bands work gave me really bad tendonitis in my elbow.
Of course, if it hurts don't do it. I use the bands every other day on my upper body day. On my lower body day I do leg exercises like standing on one leg while watching TV. I also go to the gym. The principle of overload is that you stress your muscles to the point where they have microtears then give them at least 24 hours to heal. There may be some discomfort but not pain if you are stressing your muscles to the point of overload. If you don't overload your muscles you will not improve.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,932,525 times
I don't like driving to the gym and subjecting myself to all the germs in public facilities, so when it's too cold to ride or swim, I use weights at home. I have 5 and 10 lb. weights and can move those around in various postures for an hour or more at a time, doing curls and yoga-like movements, sitting, floor, all kinds of movements. And my heart rate and breathing go up. I've been doing this for decades and can't just sit and do nothing, watching tv, but always work out in my down time.

I wish I could work with a trainer to lift more weight but haven't found the time. I've got both Strong Women Stay Young books, but unfortunately, just owning the books doesn't accomplish anything: you actually have to read them!!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,885,285 times
I work from home, and whenever I'm on the phone, I stand up and walk around. It gets me out from behind the computer on days I'm not out and about.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,302,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I don't like driving to the gym and subjecting myself to all the germs in public facilities, so when it's too cold to ride or swim, I use weights at home.
I like the Y because it's cheap (I get a discount thru work... 7 bucks a month).
I do group exercise... I think it provides a "herd motivation" factor that you don't get while exercising on your own.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I like the Y because it's cheap (I get a discount thru work... 7 bucks a month).
I do group exercise... I think it provides a "herd motivation" factor that you don't get while exercising on your own.
My favorite workout is talking to a friend while on an exercise machine or playing a sport. The "herd" factor is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss