Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,023,898 times

Advertisements

So some food has more energy in it than others? If some thing has 500 calaroies, that means it would take raising it 1 degree 500 times to burn it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Here, watch them burn food to determine it's calories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgeaAMdYIY

Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
That's why exercise is so important, at least to me. It helped me bust through plateaus. Even though weight loss really is all about having a caloric deficit, when you're thinner it becomes increasingly hard to get that deficit without feeling deprived. That's why you want to burn more. My plateau buster basically was helping my mom move. The intense physical labor (going up and down four flights of steep stairs, sometimes carrying things, constantly being in motion, picking things up of various weights in addition to not eating more than normally) resulted in an 8 lb loss (in a week) and kicked my body into gear to lose the final few pounds. If you are already exercising, maybe change up the program/intensity or increase duration. By putting a demand on your body, it will have no choice but to burn and you'll lose.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,271,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My plateau buster basically was helping my mom move.
That stuff's a back buster for me!
My bosses boss has lost quite a bit of weight by running a lot... like five miles a day.
I don't know if he can keep that going long term... at some point he'll either get injured or just up and quit.

I'm not doing anything I haven't done for years except IF, which is proving to be not all that hard and a real money saver.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:32 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,565,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's why exercise is so important, at least to me. It helped me bust through plateaus. .
For you. What happens with me, is that once the metabolism reduces, it reduces for everything... including exercise. So my only option at getting 200 calories burned off is more exercise then I reasonably can keep up on a daily basis and live a normal life. Like two hours daily in the gym.

Many of my friends ( and Oprah ) embarked on "exercise" as religion. And they could keep that up for a year or two, but eventually, they hurt something or had an emergency and couldn't do it. Quickly gaining weight.

If you are 5 lbs from goal and haven't considered exercise, I would do it. But if you are 30 lbs from goal exercise is not going to be a solution.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,271,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Many of my friends ( and Oprah ) embarked on "exercise" as religion. And they could keep that up for a year or two, but eventually, they hurt something or had an emergency and couldn't do it. Quickly gaining weight.
IMO, it's usually easier to not do something than do something.
Don't eat until dinnertime vs. do go to the gym.

I do go to the gym, but what I do there is sustainable long term. There's no running miles a day.
I actually have a self imposed "no running, no jumping" rule that keeps me on the ground and injury-free.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-10-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
There's a point when calorie deficits no longer seem to work. Once you get down to a certain weight, that's it. You've hit rock-bottom and it's game-over. So if you're trying to shake off those last nagging 15 or so pounds, what the hell do you do?
I'd suggest you revisit your calorie counting techniques, figure out where your numbers are off (they are, if you're not losing weight) and adjust accordingly. The body is not drought-resistant, it doesn't stop using stored energy when it's running at a deficit, that's not how physics works.

Yes, there are people here who will don their virtual white coats and stethoscopes and start insisting that I'm wrong, that the body goes into starvation mode and blocks otherwise reliable weight loss techniques, none of them have the proper training or supporting evidence, just theories.

Are there outliers where traditional methods fail to deliver expected fitness results? Yes, there always are. But mostly it's people lying to themselves without realizing it (I'm one of those who was forced to accept that harsh fact).

I don't know how old you are, how tall, or what your gender is. But I'd figure out your BMR, subtract 200 from that number and aggressively stay at or below it for four weeks and see how that goes. Measure and weigh everything and when you can't, add a 10% premium onto the estimated value of what you eat.

Every single person who I've worked with and who followed some version of that approach lost weight. Every single one.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:18 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Maybe accept being mildly blobish.......works for me.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:40 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
For you. What happens with me, is that once the metabolism reduces, it reduces for everything... including exercise. So my only option at getting 200 calories burned off is more exercise then I reasonably can keep up on a daily basis and live a normal life. Like two hours daily in the gym.

If you are 5 lbs from goal and haven't considered exercise, I would do it. But if you are 30 lbs from goal exercise is not going to be a solution.

The bolded might be true for many people, but it isn't true for Oprah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss