Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 AM

1,198 posts, read 674,462 times

Advertisements

I've lived as an omnivore (38 years), vegan (6.5 years), now pescetarian (1.5 years). My highest weight ever was 132 lbs at 5'5.5", nowhere near overweight. I spent several years as an omnivore weighing 90 lbs to 106 lbs, then became vegan and maintained weights between 95 lbs to 113 lbs for years, now maintain 110-112 lbs as a pescetarian. Eating dairy and fish has not made me gain weight, nor has eating high carb low fat plant food, tofu, nor did steak. I've always been very active, and the last 8 years or so have eaten very clean and healthy, but how much I put into my mouth, not necessarily what, is what has always made the difference as far as weight control. I had to put on 22 lbs to get healthy from an eating disorder when I was still vegan and I put all that weight on eating mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, beans, whole grains and whole wheat bread. It was still a matter of consuming more energy than I burned, and it felt like I had to eat a boat load of food to gain (I did a lot of smoothies to make it easier lol), and I had to slow down exercise and focus on weight lifting when I got to a higher weight, in order to rebuild muscle I lost when my weight was too low.

My body definitely feels better when I eat whole unprocessed foods which is most of the time, and it is easier to exercise because I don't have digestive issues and my energy is higher. So in that regard, WHAT I eat does make a difference, but as far as weight, for me, definitely its all about energy in versus output. Though it's easier to overindulge in stuff like peanut butter, fancy sugar (honey, maple syrup etc), cheese etc than it is to eat beans, fruits and vegetables, fish...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss