Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:51 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The OP never mentions raw chicken or at least I don't see it. Where did that come from? Eating raw chicken can be deadly and totally asking for problems.

The 80-10-10, I think refers to macro percentages of carbs/proteins/fats, which makes no sense at all to me anyway, it should be the other way around. Douglas Graham is the author of the book and yes is sounds like another fad diet to me.

If it's a diet and 80% carbs, how does that work? Good luck with that one.

Here's the book.
https://www.amazon.com/80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248
It's a raw vegan diet. Since they believe cooking makes food carcinogenic they wouldn't cook. In contrast eating meat is just not something the body is well adapted too. Chicken isn't carcinogenic, just not ideal compared with eating five bananas. Cooked chicken, however would be carcinogenic. Nuts, sure. Lots of crazy diets out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:44 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's a raw vegan diet. Since they believe cooking makes food carcinogenic they wouldn't cook. In contrast eating meat is just not something the body is well adapted too. Chicken isn't carcinogenic, just not ideal compared with eating five bananas. Cooked chicken, however would be carcinogenic. Nuts, sure. Lots of crazy diets out there
I did actually read more on it and I'm pretty sure vegan doesn't include chicken. I also read some of the meal plans and even though I see a large percentage of carbs in the diet, I don't see refined carbs, just fruit and vegetables. The 10% protein and 10% fats is way too low. That's just plain stupid. Both are essential, that's a fact. The only one that is not essential is the carbohydrate.

Here's a little background.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/80-10-10-diet

The diet that makes more sense to me is the Pegan diet which is a combination of paleo and vegan and was developed by Dr. Mark Hyman. I'm not sure if he was a vegan before pushing this diet. It's not a meat-centric diet , he recommends meat as a side dish, not the entree.

I am a carnivore at heart but this diet totally makes sense to me. Here's a summary.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...the-pegan-diet

Here's a Q&A with this guy. He seems to know his stuff IMO.
A Functional Approach to the Keto Diet with Mark Hyman, MD

Old 12-27-2018, 07:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Wait. . did someone not know that veganism is no animal products? No chicken, raw or any other kind. Nothing with a face. Or a mother. No silk, wool, leather, feathers, honey, none of that stuff.

Raw chicken would have to be the most vile "ingredient" imaginable.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Wait. . did someone not know that veganism is no animal products? No chicken, raw or any other kind. Nothing with a face. Or a mother. No silk, wool, leather, feathers, honey, none of that stuff.

Raw chicken would have to be the most vile "ingredient" imaginable.
Dont you think that is a bit extreme? And the replacements for some of those items are manmade materials that cause pollution as in plastics and unnatural fibers.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:54 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I never pay any attention to diets such as these.

If you were to label what I follow, it's an "80/20" diet, I eat clean 80% of the time, and not clean 20% of the time.

I eat fruit and vegetables, but not to the exclusion of other things. 10% fat and protein is too low, even for me.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
I personally think Douglas Graham is a quack, and not many can stick with his diet because it is so ridiculously restrictive. I did it for a very short time when I was already very underweight with an eating disorder and already vegan at the time (I was strict vegan for 6.5 years). It is almost all about eating tons of fruit and some leafy greens, no nuts or seeds, no mushrooms, onions, garlic allowed. Obviously no animal products of any kind, no grains, no beans. Very little fat. It is actually really hard to keep fat intake to 10% or less per day every day, because even fruits with seeds have small amounts of fats. A serving of nuts or avocado could put you over. He also encourages "mono" meals. I used to eat an entire pineapple in one sitting and only the pineapple. Can you imagine what that did to my blood sugar? Or I would eat five cups of lettuce and two mangos and countless bananas.

I went to the bathroom a LOT. And I had to constantly eat because raw fruits and vegetables alone do not fill me up for long periods. I had to go to farmers markets and grow a lot of my own food because the amount of fruits and vegetables I needed to consume daily for my energy needs was insane. I would get some serious stares when buying produce and only produce at the grocery store, and a lot of it, like bushels of bananas or bags of oranges. So I was constantly growing, buying, preparing, rotating raw fruits and vegetables. They don't keep all that long either, especially if you go all organic. I learned to eat everything at room temperatures, not refrigerated, because eating all raw lowered my core body temperature, and in NE Minnesota in winter when you are 90-94 lbs at 5'5.5" (I am no longer that small but this was in 2013 when I was very sick) this can be fairly uncomfortable lol. The one positive thing this "diet" did for me though was allow me to eat massive amounts of low calorie food in one sitting, in other words "binge" without worrying about weight gain and not having to starve myself. I was bulimic back then too due to long term restricting, and eating that way took away any desire to purge. I was already familiar with eating high volume low calorie. It was really a messed up time for me.

There are forums for raw vegans who follow the 80/10/10 diet, but most of them eventually give up or drop out with a myriad of health problems, and the majority of them admit to eating disorders. Keep in mind that Douglas Grahams raw vegan approach is very different than other raw vegan approaches that allow raw soaked and sprouted beans and grains, and oils, nuts and seeds etc. Graham allows none of that. He seems to be against vegetables grown in the ground also, like carrots, onions, beets. His focus is very much on organic fresh raw fruits in high quantities, with some leafy greens and non sweet fruits like bell peppers or tomatoes in moderation. No seasonings, no oils, no sugar other than fresh fruit, no salt etc.

Douglas Graham also sells a ton of supplements, which is always a red flag to me for any diet. If you need a ton of supplements for your health, how great can the diet be? How "natural" are pills anyway? There are people who thrive eating this way but they are far and few in between. I am betting most of them live in tropical areas where fresh organic local fruit is much easier to find and grow. NE Minnesota has a terrible selection of fruit in winter.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Dont you think that is a bit extreme? And the replacements for some of those items are manmade materials that cause pollution as in plastics and unnatural fibers.
No, I don't think it's a bit extreme. I think the miserable lives animals endure is "a bit extreme."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss