Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 03:32 PM

57 posts, read 60,461 times

Advertisements

I have just read some reviews of the new book "Atomic Habits" - the gist being make small, doable changes rather than big changes all at once. Instead of telling yourself no more white foods (bread, potatoes, sugar) instead just try no more toast for breakfast. Once that habit is accomplished you may add more items. I am going to buy the book, this is just the kind of prod I need to keep motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,019,773 times
I recommend this, too. Small yet sustainable changes you can turn into new, lifelong habits. I gave up most added and fake sugars. I started with candy. Then with sweets, with special exceptions for party events. After six months or so gave even those up. Then I gave up the artificial sugars as well. It's made life so much simpler!

I also had to give up peanut butter. I can eat that stuff out of the jar and off a spoon like ice cream! Mmmm. So I switched to peanut flour - I get a hint of the taste of peanut butter without the desire to consume gobs of it!

All this was done over time. Small changes, and life is still delicious!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,915,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I recommend this, too. Small yet sustainable changes you can turn into new, lifelong habits. I gave up most added and fake sugars. I started with candy. Then with sweets, with special exceptions for party events. After six months or so gave even those up. Then I gave up the artificial sugars as well. It's made life so much simpler!

I also had to give up peanut butter. I can eat that stuff out of the jar and off a spoon like ice cream! Mmmm. So I switched to peanut flour - I get a hint of the taste of peanut butter without the desire to consume gobs of it!

Is it the peanut butter you're having problems with or the sugar in the peanut butter? Because there is sugar-free peanut butter. Skippy makes it and Wal-Mart has a brand also. The crunchy version, the peanuts are all at the top, but setting it upside down helps. You do have to stir it.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 60,461 times
Default Little Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post

Good example. I have now purchased Atomic Habits. The book is engaging. Also, I found out the author has many videos - some over an hour. So, I am taking it in little by little - small changes. The gym is where I am applying small changes at first. I am doing 7 push-ups instead of six, for example. A six degree incline on the treadmill instead of five. Little changes over time can lead to big improvements.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,019,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Is it the peanut butter you're having problems with or the sugar in the peanut butter? Because there is sugar-free peanut butter. Skippy makes it and Wal-Mart has a brand also. The crunchy version, the peanuts are all at the top, but setting it upside down helps. You do have to stir it.
It's the actual peanut butter. With or without sugar I just want to gobble it all up! The peanut flour is a really substitute for me. I do buy sugar free (or natural) peanut butter when traveling, for the sake of simplicity. Thank goodness I have a bit more control these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss