Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:01 PM

989 posts, read 459,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
How so? (the work part I mean)
When I am at work I am *very* sedentary and chained to my desk. Looking at spreadsheets, accounting systems, etc. While it takes a lot of focus/attention, mental things have never been good at taking my mind off food. Not that I snack all day at work, I don't. But my stomach calls to me HARD.

On the weekends, I keep moving. I'm up doing projects, I never sit. As long as I am up moving, shopping, cleaning, etc. I can go a longer time without even thinking about food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,438,861 times
I don't low carb anymore.

I believe simple over-eating is what causes obesity; eating too much food. Being out of control with it.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,503 times
Quote:
Hey guys.

*DISCLAIMER*
I do NOT feel any particular way of eating shall have same success FOR ALL; I strongly feel individual biochemistry is highly underconsidered and indeed impossible to assess aforehand; one knows only by trying which method shall work best. I am bugged by those who tout what worked for THEM as being a fix for ALL. This is what leads to folks wasting money on diet plans that do not work FOR THEM.

I started a low carb/IF combo in Aug 2017.

I'd gained a ridiculous amount of weight post menopause (I am 5'2" 55y/o female) despite changing neither lifestyle nor diet. I was starting to feel HORRIBLE and I am certain (never verified this) based upon my symptoms (I have a master's in a medical science -not one that involved caring for pts though) I was developing hypertension and pre if not actual diabetes.

I began eating only meat, cheese and vegetables, large amts (never measured nor counted cals) once per day.

The results were swift and dramatic; I lost (never knew starting weight, still don't own a scale, started weighing when I visited my daughter only after months of this) had to be 50+lbs and ALL SYMPTOMS VANISHED.

Now 17mos later I weigh 123 (still want to get to 115; I have a very tiny frame) and feel great, have energy galore, migraines (they had become a daily thing when at my fattest) vanished, I can sleep all night (had to get up often when fat, had severe restless leg).

Who else has this worked for?
The fasting component is your safety net. If you consumed the same amount of food spread out over the day you would still have lost the same amount of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I believe simple over-eating is what causes obesity; eating too much food. Being out of control with it.
And you would be correct. When we create an energy surplus our body converts it into stored energy (fat). If you don't consume more than your body needs, you don't store any surplus. Despite all of the theories regarding how to lose weight, the simplest laws of physics prevail.

Avoiding complex carbs is a great way to throttle back on excessive energy but it's not essential to achieve your goals.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Not if you're diabetic.
The trick to losing weight when you're diabetic is keeping your insulin intake as low as possible while still controlling your blood sugars.
I just had an A1C of 6.6, so my sugars are considered controlled.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 AM

30,774 posts, read 19,427,684 times
Quote:
Hey guys.

*DISCLAIMER*
I do NOT feel any particular way of eating shall have same success FOR ALL; I strongly feel individual biochemistry is highly underconsidered and indeed impossible to assess aforehand; one knows only by trying which method shall work best. I am bugged by those who tout what worked for THEM as being a fix for ALL. This is what leads to folks wasting money on diet plans that do not work FOR THEM.

I started a low carb/IF combo in Aug 2017.

I'd gained a ridiculous amount of weight post menopause (I am 5'2" 55y/o female) despite changing neither lifestyle nor diet. I was starting to feel HORRIBLE and I am certain (never verified this) based upon my symptoms (I have a master's in a medical science -not one that involved caring for pts though) I was developing hypertension and pre if not actual diabetes.

I began eating only meat, cheese and vegetables, large amts (never measured nor counted cals) once per day.

The results were swift and dramatic; I lost (never knew starting weight, still don't own a scale, started weighing when I visited my daughter only after months of this) had to be 50+lbs and ALL SYMPTOMS VANISHED.

Now 17mos later I weigh 123 (still want to get to 115; I have a very tiny frame) and feel great, have energy galore, migraines (they had become a daily thing when at my fattest) vanished, I can sleep all night (had to get up often when fat, had severe restless leg).

Who else has this worked for?
I had some short term success with low carb but ultimately did not reach my goals with this diet and considered an overall fail for me.

I have been on an eating plan based on the book The Plant Paradox for the last 18 months and reached all of my goals and maintaining my weight in an ideal range with little problems doing so.

I do believe in doing what works for you to reach your ultimate goals and that has been Plant Paradox in my case.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 AM

989 posts, read 459,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Not if you're diabetic.
The trick to losing weight when you're diabetic is keeping your insulin intake as low as possible while still controlling your blood sugars.
Not a diabetes expert but isn't 6.6 A1C on the high side. I thought one should aim for under 6.0 or even 5.7.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Not a diabetes expert but isn't 6.6 A1C on the high side. I thought one should aim for under 6.0 or even 5.7.
from what I saw on my wellness report a1c should be in the 5s?

for diabetics, control is tough, even if you follow diet to the T. I had gestational diabetes, that was a constant juggling act. In some ways it taught me to be more aware of my food intake and portions, but it became a chore after awhile. I guess if all I'd eat was meat and cheese then no worry but I just couldn't/can't eat like that. Despite REALLY loving meat and cheese. I found a lot of the "free" stuff or diabetic offerings at the time not all that great. I know now it's better but still...I much prefer the real thing. And I largely did...I just had to eat smaller amounts. Again, not a bad thing, but still.

I have high blood pressure, which, like diabetes, I have to manage it. My hypertension has seen no noticeable improvement, despite weighing far less and re-tooling my diet. I exercised like a fiend as well. It's a combination of all of that plus meds that finally got me to 120/80 and now the medical community is saying that's not low enough. Pfft.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,520,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Not if you're diabetic.
Not just diabetics. Frequent eating and eating highly glycemic foods assure insulin levels remain high, thereby preventing weight loss. Doing the opposite as in eating less frequently and eating low glycemic foods and yes eating less, keeps insulin levels low and facilitates weight loss. That is why low carb diets work for everyone. Last time I checked we all function more or less the same. Whether anyone can stay on a low carb diet is another story and comes down to discipline and will power. It's easy for me but I've been at it over 4 years.

My A1C was a little higher than I would like it and higher than it's been recently at 5.7. Must have been the holidays or a little more indulging than I should have. I am a full diabetic by the way. Last few tests had been from 5.1 to 5.4.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Not for a diabetic.
Anything under 7.0 is considered controlled, under 6.4 is considered pre-diabetic.
I haven't had a 3-month appointment with my endocrinologist (which is what non-compliant patients get) since I went on a low carb diet.

I'm hoping that once I reach my goal weight that my A1C's will dip below 6.0 or even lower.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:57 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,890,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The fasting component is your safety net. If you consumed the same amount of food spread out over the day you would still have lost the same amount of weigh

Avoiding complex carbs is a great way to throttle back on excessive energy but it's not essential to achieve your goals.
It is essential to achieve my goals.
NOT EVERYONE'S GOALS

I stated as much in the OP. In BOLD

I wanted to hear from folks for whom this is working, not argue the obvious, that this shall not work for all.

The eating once per 24hr works for me because of the fasting component which with my biochemistry, aids metabolic efficiency. This is my theory. I believe in my case menopause caused a series of endocrinologic shifts that have made me insulin resistant and unable to properly metabolize carbohydrates.

For others with differing biochem issues or no issues beyond consuming too much food, perhaps another method shall work as well or better.

(WHYwhywhy must everyone argue the "absolutes" on here; there are few absolutes in medicine.)

Individual biochemistry is underconsidered by -especially- laypersons. No one method works for all. Those who claim it does are either laypersons or have an agenda or usually, both.

Just a polite request, those who wish to argue that one method is better than another for all, PLEASE start your own thread about it. Please. I meant THIS thread to be more of an encouraging, helpful, backslapping thread for those of us for whom this method DOES work.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-13-2019 at 05:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss