Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I believe in my case menopause caused a series of endocrinologic shifts that have made me insulin resistant and unable to properly metabolize carbohydrates.
How do you know this?
If you're insulin resistant, you should have elevated blood sugars, just like a Type 2 diabetic that's not on medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,503 times
Quote:
It is essential to achieve my goals.
NOT EVERYONE'S GOALS

I stated as much in the OP. In BOLD

I wanted to hear from folks for whom this is working, not argue the obvious, that this shall not work for all.

The eating once per 24hr works for me because of the fasting component which with my biochemistry, aids metabolic efficiency. This is my theory. I believe in my case menopause caused a series of endocrinologic shifts that have made me insulin resistant and unable to properly metabolize carbohydrates.

For others with differing biochem issues or no issues beyond consuming too much food, perhaps another method shall work as well or better.

(WHYwhywhy must everyone argue the "absolutes" on here; there are few absolutes in medicine.)

Individual biochemistry is underconsidered by -especially- laypersons. No one method works for all. Those who claim it does are either laypersons or have an agenda or usually, both.

Just a polite request, those who wish to argue that one method is better than another for all, PLEASE start your own thread about it. Please. I meant THIS thread to be more of an encouraging, helpful, backslapping thread for those of us for whom this method DOES work.
The limitations of social media is that people often read tone into written words. I wasn't arguing with you, I was framing it through my perspective. And you also mistakenly assigned my comments about reduced carbs to you.

However, having stated as such, I would challenge your "individual biochemistry is underconsidered" comment. Too many people hide behind flawed logic believing that proven dietary plans don't work for them, when the truth is that they fail to actually adhere to them. My wife complained that her metabolism had slowed to the point where she couldn't easily lose weight. For eight weeks she and I logged calories and she stayed within a relatively manageable range and, presto magic, lost weight. The variance in her metabolism at age 53 versus 33 is maybe 100-200 per day. The greater impact was from her increasingly sedentary lifestyle and poor consumption choices.

I think the variance between two similar people (age, gender, height, weight) in terms of metabolism is probably somewhere between 50-150 calories per day. Most people I know who are relatively trim and fit make better choices than those who are overweight. The greater variance is in personality and personal characteristics, not in how the proven laws of physics apply to them.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,890,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
How do you know this?
If you're insulin resistant, you should have elevated blood sugars, just like a Type 2 diabetic that's not on medication.
I stated in the OP. I never verified my suspicions; my Master's is in medical genetics, I worked 27 years in research and genetics counseling (this is not clinical medicine however) so have a greater than layperson's knowledge of symptomology. My symptoms supported my self dx of insulin resistance. That my symptoms resolved with d/c of carb intake confirms I was correct.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The limitations of social media is that people often read tone into written words. I wasn't arguing with you, I was framing it through my perspective. And you also mistakenly assigned my comments about reduced carbs to you.

However, having stated as such, I would challenge your "individual biochemistry is underconsidered" comment. Too many people hide behind flawed logic believing that proven dietary plans don't work for them, when the truth is that they fail to actually adhere to them.
I think the variance between two similar people (age, gender, height, weight) in terms of metabolism is probably somewhere between 50-150 calories per day. Most people I know who are relatively trim and fit make better choices than those who are overweight. The greater variance is in personality and personal characteristics, not in how the proven laws of physics apply to them.
I completely agree that many -not to belabor the term- laypersons toss around phrases like "slow metabolism" as either an excuse as to why they are failing to lose, or just in sheer ignorance.

However. Having worked with MDs and PhDs for 27 years I can tell you that it is known that individual biochemistry is always in play; this applies to all areas of pt care. One pt may metabolize a drug well and another develop hepatotoxicity on same dose etc etc.

Endocrinologic issues are often tricky and hard to dx; those without endo involvement shall react differently to a diet plan than one with issues, diagnosed or undiagnosed.

(I guess you chose to ignore my polite req. I really wanted this thread to be more of a "support" thread for those doing lc/if combo successfully). #fail

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-13-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Well, it's working for me and I do have verified insulin resistance.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
I think this thread is proof that no one size fits all when it comes to losing weight and dieting. It is an individual journey with no wrong answers. What is the point of criticizing someone when what they do works for them? There was a disclaimer that the OP made at the top her opening thread.

Congrats Vexed. Seems like you found what works for you.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Well, it's working for me and I do have verified insulin resistance.
Yeah I am certain I do too; along with the weight loss, the symptoms vanishing -and interestingly, they vanished before a lot of the weight had come off. Within two weeks or so. This tells me that in my case, carb metabolism was poor. I wasn't eating a ton of sweets before, either. Very few. I did eat bread, potatoes and other grains, all processed.

I had zero history of being overweight prior to menopause, I was always (unless pregnant) 115-125, from age 14 to age 50. Gaining so much weight (over a period of two-three years) post-menopause was a shock.

I changed nothing when I gained, no less exercise nor more food. And I changed nothing other than LC/IF when I lost, no increased exercise nor less food.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think this thread is proof that no one size fits all when it comes to losing weight and dieting. It is an individual journey with no wrong answers. What is the point of criticizing someone when what they do works for them? There was a disclaimer that the OP made at the top her opening thread.

Congrats Vexed. Seems like you found what works for you.
Indeed!

I loathe both the criticism and the touting; neither are helpful to someone trying to lose.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:29 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,706,532 times
Quote:
Yeah I am certain I do too; along with the weight loss, the symptoms vanishing -and interestingly, they vanished before a lot of the weight had come off. Within two weeks or so. This tells me that in my case, carb metabolism was poor. I wasn't eating a ton of sweets before, either. Very few. I did eat bread, potatoes and other grains, all processed.

I had zero history of being overweight prior to menopause, I was always (unless pregnant) 115-125, from age 14 to age 50. Gaining so much weight (over a period of two-three years) post-menopause was a shock.

I changed nothing when I gained, no less exercise nor more food. And I changed nothing other than LC/IF when I lost, no increased exercise nor less food.
I wish I could remember the name of the book I read that had either data (or theory) about insulin resistance and menopause. Or really it had to do with the way a woman's body handles carbs/sugars when estrogen is lacking. It doesn't handle it well at all and, of course, it varies by individual.

I've been in menopause for 3 years now and I have put on weight. Of course, I can absolutely blame my poor eating habits and lack of movement. But I've been doing that off and on since my 20s because of my job (I know, poor excuse but it's a trigger for me). While I don't have proof of anything, I know my body does not handle carbs as well as it used to.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I wish I could remember the name of the book I read that had either data (or theory) about insulin resistance and menopause. Or really it had to do with the way a woman's body handles carbs/sugars when estrogen is lacking. It doesn't handle it well at all and, of course, it varies by individual.

I've been in menopause for 3 years now and I have put on weight. Of course, I can absolutely blame my poor eating habits and lack of movement. But I've been doing that off and on since my 20s because of my job (I know, poor excuse but it's a trigger for me). While I don't have proof of anything, I know my body does not handle carbs as well as it used to.
Interesting. Have you tried the LC/IF thing? Worth a shot anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss