Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,520,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
For a diabetic, anything under 7.0 is considered to be controlled.
I haven't had an A1C over 7 in many years.
It depends on which standards you go by.

My goal is to have the same A1C as a non-diabetic. I'm not quite there, but I average between 5.1 and 5.4. My last test was a 5.7. I guess I "let myself go" a bit.

Anyway, the accepted standard is to keep BG at 140 or below at all times, even after meals. That is easier said than done, of course, it depends on the individual. A healthy non-diabetic would have those readings. For insulin dependent T2's, this would require some strict dietary changes, for T1's even more strict. You could use more insulin to achieve that goal but that brings its own problems. You have to enjoy life too, so you can't be that strict. That's my outlook at least.

A1C is an average, so a 6.6 converts to a 143. In theory, you are above that half of the time and below that the other half. It's not exact I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It depends on which standards you go by.
I got it from my endocrinologist.
Under 7.0 is considered controlled. Any higher than that and you get to come back in three months instead of six.

Quote:
Anyway, the accepted standard is to keep BG at 140 or below at all times, even after meals.
People who are not at all diabetic don't keep it under 140 after eating. They spike just like diabetics.
The difference is that theirs come right down below 140 within 2 hrs of eating. I have to give mine an assist.

But now I'm not always having to give mine an assist. I usually have a day or two a week where I don't take anything.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Under 7.0 is considered controlled. Any higher than that and you get to come back in three months instead of six.

People who are not at all diabetic don't keep it under 140 after eating. They spike just like diabetics.
The difference is that theirs come right down below 140 within 2 hrs of eating. I have to give mine an assist.

But now I'm not always having to give mine an assist. I usually have a day or two a week where I don't take anything.
Some non-diabetic people spike, which kind of tells you something, and may explain why there are so many "pre" diabetics and would also explain an article like this. Diabetic-level glucose spikes seen in healthy people

In "normal" healthy non-diabetics, it should not spike above 140.
Quote:
For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows:

Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (72 to 99 mg/dL) when fasting [361]
Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating
Full Article: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_...el-ranges.html

You are correct, you are considered "controlled" below 7 on the A1C. I personally shoot for a much lower number. I caused nerve damage to feet not even knowing I had a problem and went for years like that. I hope to "undo" some of the damage by having blood sugar as close to normal as possible. It may take years, it may never happen but I try.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,891 times
Read through this thread and learned a lot. Another instance of benefiting more from listening, rather than talking.

OP: you're an "animal advocate," but eat meat and cheese?

I'm so confused!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Read through this thread and learned a lot. Another instance of benefiting more from listening, rather than talking.

I'm so confused!!!
Did you say you were a cancer survivor?

I know you are doing IF for health reasons as well as weight loss. I saw this video and posted about it in the cancer forum. I thought it may interest you. It is informative and it is of course just FYI.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cance...e-science.html

Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Did you say you were a cancer survivor?

I know you are doing IF for health reasons as well as weight loss. I saw this video and posted about it in the cancer forum. I thought it may interest you. It is informative and it is of course just FYI.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cance...e-science.html
Thanks for posting that. I was diagnosed, on Lent, eight years ago with Stage 1A ovarian cancer. The doc is Catholic and had ash on his forehead, is how I remember. Had a complete bilateral hysterectomy. Tumor was 30.7 cm in diameter. Doc said I "dodged a bullet."

Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,890,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

I'm so confused!!!
I was ethical vegetarian for years, years ago.

One of my four -all adult- kids has been vegetarian her entire life (I raised the two eldest kids vegetarian, neither had meat as children and she didn't start eating it as an adult though my son did) and vegan (after viewing Sean Munson's documentary, "Earthlings") for the past seven years (including through three pregnancies) and raises her kids mostly vegan, with the occasional egg/cheese to pacify her nurse practitioner hubby who thinks vegan diet shall cause deficiencies.

Yeah I def have to disconnect/block out/compartmentalize what I know about factory farming in order to eat meat and cheese.

I can't handle eating actual meat like steak or chicken, I eat only deli meat. Helps with the disconnect.
#yesIhatemyself

Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM

21,969 posts, read 25,331,519 times
Quote:

Just depends. For fun years ago I took a bunch of measure after a large, high carb breakfast. Egg scramble with potatoes and a waffle with maple syrup. The highest was 120 at around 45 minutes, back under 100 at around an hour. Uncle (diet controlled, no medication) skipped the waffle but had the scramble. He spiked up to around 180 and was still over 160 at two hours. Not the type of food he can eat regularly and be controlled without medication.

It's a range. Not everyone who is normal has the same insulin response. Depends what you eat. If I'd chugged a 64 oz soda, that's basically sugar water. It's going to digest faster than an egg scramble and waffle. That might have spiked me up over 140 where the scrabble and waffle did not.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's a range. Not everyone who is normal has the same insulin response.
Thus "after two hours". No point in measuring earlier because you could still be elevated.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM

143 posts, read 151,209 times
Great thread and timely for me. I started doing OMAD several months ago and ate plenty carbs with that meal. I thought it gave me free reign to eat what I want. Wrong. I finally got a blood meter because I felt really tired not long after eating and knew something was up. I was losing some weight, but not much. The first morning upon waking, I checked and it was well into the 180's.

I had gestational diabetes with one of my kids that was caught. Been overweight many years but had lost a lot of weight once with low carb. Diagnosed with fatty liver 12 years ago. And then diagnosed pre-diabetic 2 years ago. That scared me so started looking for way to loose weight. I am post menopause and 68.

So went very low carb, couple meals a day. My morning readings have gone from the 180's to 105 this morning in two weeks. And its under 120 two hours after meals...usually about 100 or so and once 96.

So low carb is working to lower my blood sugar and insulin spikes. I haven't even weighed myself because I just don't want to be hurdling towards full blown diabetes like my sister. Pretty sure I will lose weight without all the insulin spikes. Also, the hunger pangs are gone. I probably could eat a low carb snack at lunch and then have a dinner. And I don't count calories but I don't eat very much, just "normal servings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss