Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times

Advertisements

I mean, I don't buy cheese...and have milk for my coffee, half a shot glass in my coffee.
I am fine with a bit of cheese on my Mexican food...I don't do ice cream...neither would kill me...except for the sugar, ick.

I get being vegetarian...I was for decades...my health went down the tubes...oh,
the photos of me back then!
But, why the extreme of no animal products that don't have to do with eating something with a face
and killing?

Is it health? The mucus issue? Weight loss? Wait, is it the saturated animal fat?
I know I could research it...but I'm here.
I also get pesticides, but you have grass fed organics?

Thanks...Help me understand. Kara?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, why the extreme of no animal products that don't have to do with eating something with a face
and killing?
Animal welfare.

Even if the animal itself is not eaten as food, it is harvested for other purposes, including feathers, fur, horn, blood, ivory, leather, urine, etc.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Thank you...and someone just wrote about 'toxins'....this is going to be very informative for me, and I will discuss this with my friends.

So, cheese or milk or an egg...what about those.
I mean for decades I wouldn't eat a cake if it was made with an egg (it was a Sant Mat/ Radha soami thing, Eastern stuff)...so I'm not oblivious to this thinking....but milk?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
I mean, I don't buy cheese...and have milk for my coffee, half a shot glass in my coffee.
I am fine with a bit of cheese on my Mexican food...I don't do ice cream...neither would kill me...except for the sugar, ick.

I get being vegetarian...I was for decades...my health went down the tubes...oh,
the photos of me back then!
and killing?

Is it health? The mucus issue? Weight loss? Wait, is it the saturated animal fat?
I know I could research it...but I'm here.
I also get pesticides, but you have grass fed organics?

Thanks...Help me understand. Kara?
The problem with discussing this is that it offends most people, and I've lost my privileges on CityData several times because of just such a discussion. If I post a quote, links to books or, especially, videos, I can be reprimanded and I'd rather not. All of that material is out there, free of charge, and the books can be had for free at the library or through interlibrary loan.

What I will venture to say is that most people are not really aware of the brutality animals endure. That they don't want to know, is on them.

You wrote:
>> But, why the extreme of no animal products that don't have to do with eating something with a face
and killing?

You're referring to wool, silk, honey, leather, goose down? All of that stuff comes from animals and the photos of how these things are acquired are not pretty. It's nearly impossible to be 100% pure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try at all. I'm a violinist and the violin is held together with hide glue, there are components that are usually leather, and of course the horsehair bow. Some day we'll all probably play carbon fiber instruments, but that day is far in the future.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 03-24-2019 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you...and someone just wrote about 'toxins'....this is going to be very informative for me, and I will discuss this with my friends.

So, cheese or milk or an egg...what about those.
I mean for decades I wouldn't eat a cake if it was made with an egg (it was a Sant Mat/ Radha soami thing, Eastern stuff)...so I'm not oblivious to this thinking....but milk?
To learn about milk you can research the dairy industry. In order to produce a constant flow of milk, cows are artificially insemination on a "rape rack." Then when the calf is born it's taken from the mother and put in a small pen until it's butchered for veal. Both the cow and the calf wail inconsolably for days.

There is really no reason to drink milk since other milks are so delicious and don't have the allowed percentage of pus the government stipulates as acceptable.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The problem with discussing this is that it offends most people, and I've lost my privileges on CityData several times because of just such a discussion. If I post a quote, links to books or, especially, videos, I can be reprimanded and I'd rather not. All of that material is out there, free of charge, and the books can be had for free at the library or through interlibrary loan.
What I will venture to say is that most people are not really aware of the brutality animals endure. That they don't want to know, is on them.
You wrote:
>> But, why the extreme of no animal products that don't have to do with eating something with a face
and killing?

You're referring to wool, silk, honey, leather, goose down? All of that stuff comes from animals and the photos of how these things are acquired are not pretty. It's nearly impossible to be 100% pure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try at all. I'm a violinist and the violin is held together with hide glue, there are components that are usually leather, and of course the horsehair bow. Some day we'll all probably play carbon fiber instruments, but that day is far in the future.
I didn't know any of this!!

I was not aware the vegan stuff extended to honey, silk...for example....Eggs I'm not seeing either...
BUT~!
If this is too hot a topic...I'll ask for it to be shut down...it was not meant to offend or change people!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I was not aware the vegan stuff extended to honey, silk...for example....Eggs I'm not seeing either...
BUT~!
If this is too hot a topic...I'll ask for it to be shut down...it was not meant to offend or change people!
Yeah, people lose their minds when they hear this stuff. They can be very angry and abusive. It threatens their way of life.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Eggs are a whole other, hideous story. Just know that the industries that produce and market these products are lying to us. They don't want us to know the truth.

Fur is another issue, too horrifying and cruel to describe.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:

BUT~!
It's anything that exploits an animal, bird, or insect for human use.

A vegan who wants to lose weight must adjust her diet but is restricted to the use of plant products. Some vegans eat fungi, some do not.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,704,392 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...an-so-far.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/veget...egetarian.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.