Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:03 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The answer is easy, and the answer is hard. Make a decision to eat less, and then...eat less.
Taking small bites and slowing down helps a lot too.
The old fact that it takes your brain 20 minutes to register that your stomach is full, is still true. If you are a guy who stuffs a hamburger down in 3 bites, not only do you look disgusting to others, but you will eat way too much.
A normal serving of meat is 4-6oz which is the size of a deck of cards. 2 slices of pizza is more than enough food. You just need to decide to be more moderate. If you cut out flour and sugar, it will really cut down the empty calories.
It takes me way less than 20 minutes to eat a meal. Especially if it is in one piece like a hamburger. In a fancy restaurant the different parts are spread on a large plate, and picking all up with fork and knife takes longer. But I cannot have meals like that every day.
Deciding to be moderate is hard. Even if i put less food on my plate, once finished i have the drive to go to the cooking pot and put more food on my plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Drink a large glass of water before your meal.
i will try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 12:08 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
It takes me way less than 20 minutes to eat a meal. Especially if it is in one piece like a hamburger. In a fancy restaurant the different parts are spread on a large plate, and picking all up with fork and knife takes longer. But I cannot have meals like that every day.
Deciding to be moderate is hard. Even if i put less food on my plate, once finished i have the drive to go to the cooking pot and put more food on my plate.
This almost sounds like Binge Eating Disorder. It's hard, but if you want things to change, you have to change your behavior. You might need to see a dietitian if you can't do it on your own.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
I have realized over the years that what makes ME fat is over-eating. For other people it might be different. Not snacking or eating too many times but eating a larger portion that I should. Few times in my life I was able to reduce my portion size, as a result of some stress or life event and I lost weight and got into a better shape.
But for me reducing portion size is incredibly difficult, because when I start eating, and I am more than half way through my meal I get some super strong wolf-hunger and must keep stuffing myself until infinity. When I start the meal I have normal appetite, but after a half a plate that appetite grows 100x.
I tried to add Benefiber powder on top of my meal, but it has delayed effect, it makes me feel full for hours, but the fullness does not start until a half an hour after the meal. I need something faster, that kicks in while I am still eating, to help me STOP after the right amount consumed.
Even if I put less on my plate (by measuring it on a scale to <400-430g), after I'm done I feel like putting some more on my plate and can't resist doing it.

So, does anyone know a solution to this?
I remember they were advertising some kind of crystal that you put on top of the food, but last time I saw the commercial was like 20 years ago.

Take the Benefiber an hour before you eat.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Take the Benefiber an hour before you eat.
And eat a hard boiled egg or two.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

i will try that.
That’s a huge part of your problem.... you need to eat slower. Use your knife and fork and put it down between bites.

Cook smaller portions if you can’t cobtrol yourself.

Beneful isn’t going to help you... smaller portions and eating slowing will.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
You just have to retrain yourself, plain and simple. Your body is adaptable. I eat about 6 oz meat per day, that's enough. 3/4 cup of rice. one cup of pasta. My body hits fullness (not stuffed, mind you) with less and that's by design. there's no easy fix and you need to pay attention to your body's signal for fullness.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Beneful isn’t going to help you... smaller portions and eating slowing will.
Wanting to continue to eat after full and eating fast are I think the same thing. I smell food and see it in front of me and I go crazy.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Wanting to continue to eat after full and eating fast are I think the same thing. I smell food and see it in front of me and I go crazy.
If you want anything to change with your weight and your health, you're going to have to change your compulsive behavior around eating. When you say you "go crazy," that's a choice that you make.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you say you "go crazy," that's a choice that you make.
No. The feeling of hunger is not a choice. Other people dont have strong hunger at the end of a meal, so they are not making a hard choice. I don't want to fight with a strong feeling every day, rather want the strong feeling to go away. You are very dismissive.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No. The feeling of hunger is not a choice. Other people dont have strong hunger at the end of a meal, so they are not making a hard choice. I don't want to fight with a strong feeling every day, rather want the strong feeling to go away. You are very dismissive.
I don't mean to be dismissive, because I know from having food issues, but you seem to want a magic bullet that means you don't have to reflect on or change your eating behaviors. Ask yourself as you're gorging and binging, is that physical hunger or compulsion? Yes, hunger is not a choice, but going back to the pot, as you say, and stuffing your face long after you are full is absolutely a choice. Your entire issue is that you don't know (or don't want to know) the difference.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-06-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss