Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 PM

712 posts, read 556,339 times

Advertisements

April 15, 2004, was a big turning point for me. I was bulimic for over 30 years with more of a purging disorder than the textbook bulimia so therefore I deluded myself thinking I didn't have a problem. I pretty much used purging to try and maintain or lose weight. Being so short that it took very little to make me gain and to lose I had to eat only 500 calories a day. I was killing myself, I decided to try the Atkins diet and got his book and read it. It was as if a lightbulb went off over my head like in a cartoon. I was like, Hey I can do this! I can make this a forever lifestyle change for my health. So it has been 15 years since I started this journey and those who know me, know I really do not cheat. I guess I don't cheat because I look at high carbs like an alcoholic looks at drink, one cheat and I slide down a slippery slope. I started out at 160 which for someone 4'10 it was high for me. Menopause came and now losing isn't as easy. I weigh around 125/128 now and find this way of eating works for me. I guess you could call this my 15th Atkins Anniversary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
OP: Thanks for your report and your commitment and progress. I know about Atkins and dabbled in it some but know of a person who really worked it and this man changed his life. Sadly he fell off the "wagon" and went back to his old ways, which included alcohol. He's gone now but I recall very well his journey and success and then failure.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Thanks for your report and your commitment and progress. I know about Atkins and dabbled in it some but know of a person who really worked it and this man changed his life. Sadly he fell off the "wagon" and went back to his old ways, which included alcohol. He's gone now but I recall very well his journey and success and then failure.
Sorry about your friend. This has taken a big commitment on my part. I don't take cheating lightly and if there isn't anything I can eat, I just don't eat. I then get something on the way home.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:29 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,359,683 times
Congrats! I rediscovered Atkins after having been away from it for a number of years. I read two of his books from the library to reacquaint myself with everything. It is fascinating to me that eating more fat actually burns more calories. I lost 13 pounds in the first 4 months, and am now losing steadily at 1-2 pounds per month.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,429,662 times
In the 1980s I could only get one station on my radio, the one where Dr. Atkins had his talk show. He was saying the opposite of what I had always heard about diet. But he was logical and what he said made sense.

I never did the diet, but his warnings about refined carbohydrates have always been helpful. His explanation of metabolic syndrome helped me a lot in understanding the health problems of friends and relatives.

The medical industry mostly ignored him at that time, and probably still do. But now a lot of people have figured out that he was right.

You will still see a lot of health experts saying all that matters is how many calories you eat, not whether it's protein or carbohydrates or fat. But they are wrong, it does matter.

Too bad he died before people started really appreciating his ideas.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
I did the diet for about 6 months in 2003. I only needed to lose about 15 pounds, which I did, but I just got tired of eating that way. In fact I was getting grossed out. Plus I had to take potassium supplements and fiber because I wasn't pooping without out it. I do not like restricting myself to certain foods. So I gained that weight back and then added another 15 and then lost that 30 pounds by eating from all the food groups and watching my calories. That weight stayed off for the most part.

That said I do recognize that this is a great way to eat for a lot of people. And if you can stick with it more power to you. Atkins did open up a whole new way of eating and for that he gets my respect for his contribution.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,266,488 times
Congratulations!
I'm basically on Atkins Plus. Been on it many years as well.
I had to kick it up a notch because I lost 25 lbs and then got permanently stuck.
Adding OMAD and IF got me unstuck and I've been losing ever since... only about 15 lbs away from my goal weight.

Once I get there, I'm only going to change one thing. I'm going to take more free days.
For example... it's Easter weekend and we're going out to dinner. If I were at my goal weight, I'd order whatever I wanted off the menu.
But I'm not, so I've already perused the menu (the low carb choices are quite limited) and will be compliant.
I may have to have a turkey sandwich when I get home.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
This thread is a testimony to the truth that we all need to find what works, but like a properly spiritual religious person, practice it ourselves and not think it works for everyone.

The key elements of Atkins are just solid, smart nutritional guidelines. The outgrowth of Atkins into Keto-based plans is unfortunate as it was never his intention to try and eliminate carbs, just the bad ones. Carbs aren't the problem per se, but so much of the food supply introduces them in a variety of ways which are often excessive and unhealthy.

Congratulations on your continued success and improved health.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Congratulations!
I'm basically on Atkins Plus. Been on it many years as well.
I had to kick it up a notch because I lost 25 lbs and then got permanently stuck.
Adding OMAD and IF got me unstuck and I've been losing ever since... only about 15 lbs away from my goal weight.

Once I get there, I'm only going to change one thing. I'm going to take more free days.
For example... it's Easter weekend and we're going out to dinner. If I were at my goal weight, I'd order whatever I wanted off the menu.
But I'm not, so I've already perused the menu (the low carb choices are quite limited) and will be compliant.
I may have to have a turkey sandwich when I get home.
Considering OMAD is a variety of IF, I'm curious why you split them out as if though they work together somehow. I'm betting for a neophyte first researching weight loss options that would present as super confusing.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This thread is a testimony to the truth that we all need to find what works, but like a properly spiritual religious person, practice it ourselves and not think it works for everyone.

The key elements of Atkins are just solid, smart nutritional guidelines. The outgrowth of Atkins into Keto-based plans is unfortunate as it was never his intention to try and eliminate carbs, just the bad ones. Carbs aren't the problem per se, but so much of the food supply introduces them in a variety of ways which are often excessive and unhealthy.

Congratulations on your continued success and improved health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Considering OMAD is a variety of IF, I'm curious why you split them out as if though they work together somehow. I'm betting for a neophyte first researching weight loss options that would present as super confusing.
I’ve never introduced many carbs back into my diet because I subscribe to a low glycemic approach. High carbs will raise the blood sugar. Not all carbs are created equal. Even after 15 years I still do not consume sugar, rice, potatoes, wheat or wheat products, no pasta, and for the exception of berries I don’t eat fruit. But this is my choice and not directly like the Dr Atkins plan. To a point it’s become a modified Keto plan for me even though I don’t bother with macros. I had gained to 135 last year and did intermittent fasting too. I dropped to 125 and kept it off. OMAD is a good tool when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss