Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 04:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two suggestions.... either stick to a 1200 calorie, low carb diet, or subscribe to a plan like nutrisystem, which is idiot proof.
Good idea. I think there is a Nutrisystem especially for men. A guy who might not be a decent cook, or might be tempted by food stored in his home, could probably use Nutrisystem profitably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 04:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,123 times
Here is what is working for me. I don't really count calories but I'm watching more of what I eat. I've been loosing an average of 2-3 lbs a week. I eat every 3 hours which is basically breakfast at 6 am (5 egg whites with avocado and mushrooms and green salsa) + cauliflower flat bread. I drink 32 ounces of water with some Psyllium husk fiber and this really fills me up.

At 9 am I drink a protein shake I made with Ice, unsweetened almond milk and 2 scoops of whey isolates with a tablespoon of liquid fish oil.

At 12 I just eat a low sugar high protein bar and a glass of water with the Psyllium husk fiber.

At 3 pm, I am home from work and I eat a meal usually with Cauliflower rice and some protein (fish, turkey or chicken) with a salad and just a balsamic vinegrette that I make.

Dinner is 6pm and I can make a turkey or veggie burger with the Cauliflower bread with some hummus and veggies. I snack on raw nuts off all kinds and drink a lot of water. When I get that sugar cravings I like to stock up on xylitol gum and that holds my sugar cravings off plus its good for my teeth.

I avoid any type of processed sugar and sugary baked goods. I don't go to the gym but I bought a new bike last year and i've been riding every day and leaving the car at home for short trips to the store or just for a nice ride. I try to ride about 5-10 miles a day when I can. Also getting good rest is a key factor for me.

Weight loss and being healthy isn't very difficult. Its just a state of mind and your commitment to get to the goals you have set. Our bodies are all different but what is key is that you dedicate yourself first and see what works for you.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:02 PM

61,883 posts, read 87,361,740 times
This thread seem to have nothing to do with exercises, so I am going to merge it with the one posted on Diet and Weight Loss Forum.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Here is what is working for me. I don't really count calories but I'm watching more of what I eat. I've been loosing an average of 2-3 lbs a week. I eat every 3 hours which is basically breakfast at 6 am (5 egg whites with avocado and mushrooms and green salsa) + cauliflower flat bread. I drink 32 ounces of water with some Psyllium husk fiber and this really fills me up.

At 9 am I drink a protein shake I made with Ice, unsweetened almond milk and 2 scoops of whey isolates with a tablespoon of liquid fish oil.

At 12 I just eat a low sugar high protein bar and a glass of water with the Psyllium husk fiber.

At 3 pm, I am home from work and I eat a meal usually with Cauliflower rice and some protein (fish, turkey or chicken) with a salad and just a balsamic vinegrette that I make.

Dinner is 6pm and I can make a turkey or veggie burger with the Cauliflower bread with some hummus and veggies. I snack on raw nuts off all kinds and drink a lot of water. When I get that sugar cravings I like to stock up on xylitol gum and that holds my sugar cravings off plus its good for my teeth.

I avoid any type of processed sugar and sugary baked goods. I don't go to the gym but I bought a new bike last year and i've been riding every day and leaving the car at home for short trips to the store or just for a nice ride. I try to ride about 5-10 miles a day when I can. Also getting good rest is a key factor for me.

Weight loss and being healthy isn't very difficult. Its just a state of mind and your commitment to get to the goals you have set. Our bodies are all different but what is key is that you dedicate yourself first and see what works for you.

Psyllium is a type of fiber commonly used as a gentle, bulk-forming laxative.

Too much of it might cause serious health problems. Psyllium could delay the absorption of certain medications. It can also reduce blood sugar levels, which may require an adjustment in your medications or insulin if you have diabetes.
Therefore, it's not recommended to take it with any other medicines. You better consult it with your doctor.

Studies investigating a direct relationship between psyllium and weight loss seem to show mixed results.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two suggestions.... either stick to a 1200 calorie, low carb diet, or subscribe to a plan like nutrisystem, which is idiot proof.
Yes, but... I asked OP about his eating habits for a reason. If his intake was, say 5000 cal a day then 1200 cal for a start will not work.
He needs to reduce his calorie intake gradually, otherwise he will feel hungry and frustrated which will lead to a major fail.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:27 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Psyllium is a type of fiber commonly used as a gentle, bulk-forming laxative.

Too much of it might cause serious health problems. Psyllium could delay the absorption of certain medications. It can also reduce blood sugar levels, which may require an adjustment in your medications or insulin if you have diabetes.
Therefore, it's not recommended to take it with any other medicines. You better consult it with your doctor.

Studies investigating a direct relationship between psyllium and weight loss seem to show mixed results.
I've been taking it for years and i've had no side effects (regular bowel movements) I was introduced to it by my father who takes it daily and he is almost 90. I am also not a diabetic and I do not take any prescription medications

Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,013,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'm 5'9" and weighed 247 lbs at my peak and I'm quite a bit older than you.
I weigh 179 today and it's taken about 9 months to get here.

You'll have to make a long term commitment.
Long term = Lifetime

Kind of feel like the discussion might be a waste of everyone's time.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:40 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, but... I asked OP about his eating habits for a reason. If his intake was, say 5000 cal a day then 1200 cal for a start will not work.
He needs to reduce his calorie intake gradually, otherwise he will feel hungry and frustrated which will lead to a major fail.
All I know is what I have seen on the 600# show. The doctors put them on 1200 calories and they lose hundreds of pounds to qualify for surgery.

The point is, eat less of what you already eat, or eat less of what you already eat and more of what you should eat.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:33 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,425,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaira1723 View Post
Damn! So what DID you eat then?
I kept a daily food/meal log. Still have it.

I regularly ate Kale,

quinoa w/ onions, cucumbers, broccoli,

An Apple every other day

Salads with tomatos, onions, walnuts, abd stuff like that.

Pumpkin soup, tomato with a little ezekiel bread

Usually 2 meals per day, late lunch & early dinner, doing minimim 18:6

Never got hungry.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,013,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I kept a daily food/meal log. Still have it.

I regularly ate Kale,

quinoa w/ onions, cucumbers, broccoli,

An Apple every other day

Salads with tomatos, onions, walnuts, abd stuff like that.

Pumpkin soup, tomato with a little ezekiel bread

Usually 2 meals per day, late lunch & early dinner, doing minimim 18:6

Never got hungry.
REP.

Once you get in the habit you really don't desire to each crappy food, do you? It takes awhile especially if one has become accustomed to eating tons of processed and fast foods much of his life....I eat kale over rice or quinoa w/ soy all the time....my problem lately has been light beer (have stopped it for a couple of weeks), some dairy/cheese, and portion control.....tend to do double portions of healthy food. I burn a ton of cals w/ fitness so I figure the body is telling me to increase macronutrients.....

But, today I went back to LOSEIT.com to log my food again (hadn't done it for awhile)....it'll give me cals and allow me to be mindful of what I'm taking in.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss