Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Its out because of its lectins per Plant Paradox. i ate a lot of peanut butter before and I think that was one of my huge mistakes.
Well, it is pretty addictive and I have to watch it. I think I need the iron (?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 04:17 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,048,149 times
Quote:
The Plant Prardox took my Kindergarten knowledge of nutrition and advanced me to Master's. In general, no beans or grains, no grain fed meats, lots of cabbage, broccoli, etc. and nuts like macadamias are good. I woldn't attempt it unless I read the book.
Curious why you say this given that Gundry himself says that beans are great (as long as you use a pressure cooker) and that he eats them all the time. Moreover, there apparently are recipes in the book using beans. Watch the short video below where he talks about eating beans all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61XfKF_NpI

Personally, I think he's a nutjob peddling pseudo-science and it's laughable to think that lectins are bad for you. Here's another video debunking his "theory":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4q_5dfLs

Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM

30,561 posts, read 19,295,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Curious why you say this given that Gundry himself says that beans are great (as long as you use a pressure cooker) and that he eats them all the time. Moreover, there apparently are recipes in the book using beans. Watch the short video below where he talks about eating beans all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61XfKF_NpI

Personally, I think he's a nutjob peddling pseudo-science and it's laughable to think that lectins are bad for you. Here's another video debunking his "theory":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4q_5dfLs
I consider the debunkers to be in the same category as those that were trying to find flaws with Einstein. I speak from personal experience and know that his recommendations work like magic whereas everything I tried before was a big fail.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 AM

289 posts, read 249,165 times
Steven Gundry
Another Fraud Quack selling pills

Some REVIEWS
https://dirtyscam.com/reviews/dr-steven-gundry/

https://nutritionstudies.org/the-pla...md-commentary/

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com...steven-gundry/

He is also widely described as a cardiologist but he is not, He is a cardiothoracic surgeon.

He wrote a book published in 2009 entitled Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution in which he states:

“Until six years ago, I primarily flexed my survival muscles as a heart surgeon and researcher on how to keep heart cells alive under stress”.

Indeed up until 2004 Gundry was a well-respected cardiac surgeon but since then he has been selling diet books and supplements on his website, gundrymd.com.

Gundry is also a Goop doctor.

I’ve been meaning to write specifically about his most popular useless supplement, Vital Reds.

In the meantime, Gundry has come out with another best-selling. book entitled “The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in Healthy Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain”.

This book claims to reveal to its readers the great dietary “secret” that is causing almost all chronic diseases. Of course, Gundry is the only person with the brilliance and insight to have recognized this. Only those who are willing to plunk down the money to buy his book will learn this secret and the (mostly gobbledook) science behind it.

This technique of convincing the naive that only you are aware of the “hidden” factor which is the cause of their various maladies is a standard come-on in the world of pseudoscience.

The Plant Paradox would have you believe that lectins are the major danger in our diet.

I’ve come across three well-researched pieces which destroy any validity to the concepts put forth by Gundry in The Plant Paradox.

Campbell: Is It Possible Gundry Is Out To Make A Quick Buck?

The first is from T. Colin Campbell of China Study fame. While I don’t agree with his overall dietary philosophy (see here) in his article he has taken the time to read Gundry’s book in detail and address in great detail the multiple bogus claims and the lack of scientific support. Campbell begins:

The claims come fast and furious in this book, stated with a degree of certainty, without nuance, that undoubtedly appeals to many readers. But the referencing is so lacking and sloppy that Dr. Gundry should be embarrassed. The references that are cited in this book do a poor job of trying to justify its claims. And the bulk of the author’s wild claims lack references at all, with several examples of easily verifiable falsehoods. Because his claims are quite profound and novel, referencing of the findings of others and his own results are especially important. This is especially troubling for an author who touts his own research experience.

After debunking Gundry’s lectin claims , Campbell suggests that Gundry’s major goal is selling more useless supplements, including one that will protect readers from the dreaded lectin:

In conclusion, there are many people who desire good health and deserve good information and we resent that they must suffer such poor quality and confusing information under the assumption that it is good science. Is it possible that Dr. Gundry is just out to make a quick buck? He admits that his patients give up to a dozen vials of blood for testing every couple of months at his clinic. Overtesting is common practice in supplement-driven clinics. This extensive testing, (which are another topic), is almost always used to demonstrate some type of nutritional pathology, which of course can only be corrected by taking the suggested supplements. And of course, Dr. Gundry sells supplements, including “Lectin Shield” for about $80 a month. According to his website, “This groundbreaking new formula was created to offset the discomforting effects of lectins (proteins commonly found in plants that make them harder to digest). Lectin Shield works to protect your body from a pile-up of lectins and to promote full-body comfort.”

Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Steven Gundry
Another Fraud Quack selling pills

Some REVIEWS
https://dirtyscam.com/reviews/dr-steven-gundry/

https://nutritionstudies.org/the-pla...md-commentary/

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com...steven-gundry/

He is also widely described as a cardiologist but he is not, He is a cardiothoracic surgeon.

He wrote a book published in 2009 entitled Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution in which he states:

“Until six years ago, I primarily flexed my survival muscles as a heart surgeon and researcher on how to keep heart cells alive under stress”.

Indeed up until 2004 Gundry was a well-respected cardiac surgeon but since then he has been selling diet books and supplements on his website, gundrymd.com.

I’ve been meaning to write specifically about his most popular useless supplement, Vital Reds.

In the meantime, Gundry has come out with another best-selling. book entitled “The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in Healthy Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain”.

This book claims to reveal to its readers the great dietary “secret” that is causing almost all chronic diseases. Of course, Gundry is the only person with the brilliance and insight to have recognized this. Only those who are willing to plunk down the money to buy his book will learn this secret and the (mostly gobbledook) science behind it.

This technique of convincing the naive that only you are aware of the “hidden” factor which is the cause of their various maladies is a standard come-on in the world of pseudoscience.

The Plant Paradox would have you believe that lectins are the major danger in our diet.

I’ve come across three well-researched pieces which destroy any validity to the concepts put forth by Gundry in The Plant Paradox.

Campbell: Is It Possible Gundry Is Out To Make A Quick Buck?

The first is from T. Colin Campbell of China Study fame. While I don’t agree with his overall dietary philosophy (see here) in his article he has taken the time to read Gundry’s book in detail and address in great detail the multiple bogus claims and the lack of scientific support. Campbell begins:

The claims come fast and furious in this book, stated with a degree of certainty, without nuance, that undoubtedly appeals to many readers. But the referencing is so lacking and sloppy that Dr. Gundry should be embarrassed. The references that are cited in this book do a poor job of trying to justify its claims. And the bulk of the author’s wild claims lack references at all, with several examples of easily verifiable falsehoods. Because his claims are quite profound and novel, referencing of the findings of others and his own results are especially important. This is especially troubling for an author who touts his own research experience.

After debunking Gundry’s lectin claims , Campbell suggests that Gundry’s major goal is selling more useless supplements, including one that will protect readers from the dreaded lectin:

In conclusion, there are many people who desire good health and deserve good information and we resent that they must suffer such poor quality and confusing information under the assumption that it is good science. Is it possible that Dr. Gundry is just out to make a quick buck? He admits that his patients give up to a dozen vials of blood for testing every couple of months at his clinic. Overtesting is common practice in supplement-driven clinics. This extensive testing, (which are another topic), is almost always used to demonstrate some type of nutritional pathology, which of course can only be corrected by taking the suggested supplements. And of course, Dr. Gundry sells supplements, including “Lectin Shield” for about $80 a month. According to his website, “This groundbreaking new formula was created to offset the discomforting effects of lectins (proteins commonly found in plants that make them harder to digest). Lectin Shield works to protect your body from a pile-up of lectins and to promote full-body comfort.”

I haven't bought any of his products but followed his food recommendations for the last 22 months and here is what happened:

1. A1C dropped from 7.5 to 5.4
2. Weight dropped from 237 to 190
3. Blood pressure went from 140/90 to 110/70
4. Gut went from 42" to 32"
5. body fat is now down to 10%
6. Muscle mass now 45+%
7. No longer have indigestion but had frequent before
8. My strength and endurance have skyrocketed
9. I look much better
10. Cholesterol and liver number were very bad before and now fantastic

Basically the results have far surpassed any goals that I had.

Another thing, my best friend and college roommate started taking his "pills" as you call it and lost his excess weight and became healthy and he didn't read the book.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 AM

289 posts, read 249,165 times
Quote:
I haven't bought any of his products but followed his food recommendations for the last 22 months and here is what happened:

1. A1C dropped from 7.5 to 5.4
2. Weight dropped from 237 to 190
3. Blood pressure went from 140/90 to 110/70
4. Gut went from 42" to 32"
5. body fat is now down to 10%
6. Muscle mass now 45+%
7. No longer have indigestion but had frequent before
8. My strength and endurance have skyrocketed
9. I look much better
10. Cholesterol and liver number were very bad before and now fantastic

Basically the results have far surpassed any goals that I had.

Another thing, my best friend and college roommate started taking his "pills" as you call it and lost his excess weight and became healthy and he didn't read the book.
Any diet that reduces input calories below output calories will result in weight loss, all without the need to not eat certain food groups, buy books and magic pills.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times

That is all the proof I need to know this guy is a snake oil salesman.
I guess he makes a lot more money on his business endeavors hoodwinking desperate dieters than he ever made as a cardiac surgeon.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Any diet that reduces input calories below output calories will result in weight loss, all without the need to not eat certain food groups, buy books and magic pills.
All diets I tried before didn't work and this one did.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

That is all the proof I need to know this guy is a snake oil salesman.
I guess he makes a lot more money on his business endeavors hoodwinking desperate dieters than he ever made as a cardiac surgeon.
As long as that snake oil results in miraculous and obvious health benefits, I'll keep buying that snake oil. I don't care how much he makes, only the results of his recommendations.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
As long as that snake oil results in miraculous and obvious health benefits, I'll keep buying that snake oil. I don't care how much he makes, only the results of his recommendations.
Of course. But you could achieve your success quite easily without. No one is reinventing the wheel here. You lost weight because you ate less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss