Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,465,534 times

Advertisements

Former sugar addict. Diabetes runs in my family for one thing. When my brother got it (1 yr younger than me), I had to look at it seriously. I watched enough 600 lb life shows (I mean really watched and engaged myself in their suffering and pain) , listened intently to the heartbreaking health problems that co workers and other friends were struggling with, somehow I would visualize sugar (frosting, cakes, cookies - all my favorites) as the main cause and somehow I convinced myself that eating that was the same as eating arsenic or some other deadly poison. Don't know how I managed to do that, but I quit. I used to eat frosting every singe day. Unfortunately I have replaced with a lot of Truvia, Stevia, etc but I don't eat sugar at all. I don't eat breads or starchy carbs either. Effect - my distance running has gone from being able to fake a sort of decent pace now degraded to turtle pace. I run out of gas quickly and it is like running with weighted boots (weight workout unaffected). Pros - Weight stays in control and I feel great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
<snip>somehow I would visualize sugar (frosting, cakes, cookies - all my favorites) as the main cause and somehow I convinced myself that eating that was the same as eating arsenic or some other deadly poison. Don't know how I managed to do that, but I quit.
I think one of the reasons I've been able to keep my weight down is that I have a very long list of "Stuff I Don't Eat". I can walk into a convenience store on a road trip and if all they've got is "roller grill" hot dogs , white bread tuna sandwiches with a few molecules of limp iceberg lettuce, and junk food cookies, I leave without buying much other than water, diet pop (yeah, I have that weakness, too) and sunflower seeds. I actually read nutrition labels. That can really be a deterrent to eating something! Avoiding high-fructose corn syrup helps, too, since it's in so much cheap processed food.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,267,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I can walk into a convenience store on a road trip and if all they've got is "roller grill" hot dogs
I'd eat that hot dog.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 AM

8 posts, read 4,189 times
To quit refine sugar, I started by finding the root cause of my sugar craving: an imbalanced gut flora. What I did first is to introduce homemade fruit kefir, kombucha and fermented vegetables in my diet. Little by little, I saw a change in my appetite for industrial sugar. On top of that, I gained energy and helped my immune system by adding good bacteria to my digestive track.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:23 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with eating things that are sweet. "Sweet" is a natural taste sensation that human beings crave, no different than salt. Both sugar and salt can be problematic if not consumed in moderation. It blows my mind why someone would cut fruit, which offers so vitamins, fiber, and water, but to each his/her own.

Sugar is a problem when it displaces healthier food choices. You only get X amount of calories in a day and if much of much of those calories are used for nutrient deficient sugary foods, then it's just empty calories that lead to weight gain. That in turn leads to health problems.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It blows my mind why someone would cut fruit, which offers so vitamins, fiber, and water, but to each his/her own.
Obviously, diabetics can't eat most fruits. But I eat raspberries and blackberries frequently.
I also have a jar full of those mini candy bars. Not the Fun Size... mini.
Just enough to have a taste...

Old 06-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying scotchman View Post
Things like fresh pizza, chocolate bars, bakery goods, potatoes chips are very addictive and no matter how good I’m behaving if I bring it home I will eat it right away.
I have a rule.
If the wife gets chips or fries, she has to give me one.
Exactly one.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Obviously, diabetics can't eat most fruits. But I eat raspberries and blackberries frequently.
I also have a jar full of those mini candy bars. Not the Fun Size... mini.
Just enough to have a taste...
Most diabetics can although it depends how far along the disease they are. Uncle for example eats a fair amount of fruit. It's just in smaller quantities and usually with some fat. Yogurt with some fruit salad, apple and peanut butter. No 20 oz orange juices or half a pineapple. Instead of sugar bites dark chocolate. He's not that far along though. Just can't eat like he used to, which was a loaf of French bread with cheese and deli cuts for lunch everyday for 20 years

Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM

289 posts, read 248,902 times
I don't add sugar to anything and have very limited amounts of processed food so very little, one thing I would add though is once your consumption down for a while is that fruit tastes so nice sweet and your taste in general seems to be heightened.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,019,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
<snip> one thing I would add though is once your consumption down for a while is that fruit tastes so nice sweet and your taste in general seems to be heightened.
This is very true! I actually thought my grocery store was pumping sugar into their fruit at one point - I started running around to all the local stores looking for not-so-sweet fruit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss