Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:40 AM

1,150 posts, read 477,252 times

Advertisements

Im in my 30s, 5'6 male, and by the bmi chart, if I'm 157 and lighter, I'm at normal weight. Since I was 18, i have been at 157 or lower for 3 times, and those 3 times I dieted, but right after dieting I just regain all the weight back.

My lowest weight was 133, highest is 216, (83 pounds swing) and I'm at 208 now, it's been here for years. I have been overweight or obese 99.9% of my adult life. My biggest thing is I eat alot, and i can't control hunger. I feel like if I lose weight again, once i hit a healthy weight, I will probably stop working out, eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and just creep back to my weight as of now. I once lost 60 pounds but regained everything back, plus more.

What should I do? In a sense I feel better if I eat what I want, but I know it's not good for me. I feel like it's very hard to starve myself, go workout, eat bland food, and spend money on a gym membership just to stay at a weight that's healthy. When I dieter and was at a healthy weight, I had to work out 3 hrs a day and starve myself, and I constantly thought about food. I can't do that forever and can only hang on for 3 weeks max before I quit.

Every few years I hovered at 10 pound increments, like early 20s I was at 160's, then 170s for next few yrs, then 180s, etc. I feel like I will average in the 210s in the next few years if I continue this. I have tried to eat more lean protien, drink more water, etc, but I can't fight hunger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,928,216 times
You might consider what you eat and explore veganism? It is a substantial learning curve with respect to shopping and cooking, but you can eat massive amounts of food and there's no chance you can fail to lose weight if you cut out sugar and processed foods. It's life changing.

The SAD (Standard American Diet), with its emphasis on salt, fat and sugar, with lots of processed and animals foods, is the root cause of the obesity epidemic. People are not fat because of some personal failings or psychological distress so much as the offerings from the food industries are designed to generate income, not support human health.

There are claims that 99%+ of the diets based on SAD fail, long term. But a plant based diet will not cause your weight to yo-yo, which is discouraging and not healthy.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,559,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Im in my 30s, 5'6 male, and by the bmi chart, if I'm 157 and lighter, I'm at normal weight. Since I was 18, i have been at 157 or lower for 3 times, and those 3 times I dieted, but right after dieting I just regain all the weight back.

My lowest weight was 133, highest is 216, (83 pounds swing) and I'm at 208 now, it's been here for years. I have been overweight or obese 99.9% of my adult life. My biggest thing is I eat alot, and i can't control hunger. I feel like if I lose weight again, once i hit a healthy weight, I will probably stop working out, eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and just creep back to my weight as of now. I once lost 60 pounds but regained everything back, plus more.

What should I do? In a sense I feel better if I eat what I want, but I know it's not good for me. I feel like it's very hard to starve myself, go workout, eat bland food, and spend money on a gym membership just to stay at a weight that's healthy. When I dieter and was at a healthy weight, I had to work out 3 hrs a day and starve myself, and I constantly thought about food. I can't do that forever and can only hang on for 3 weeks max before I quit.

Every few years I hovered at 10 pound increments, like early 20s I was at 160's, then 170s for next few yrs, then 180s, etc. I feel like I will average in the 210s in the next few years if I continue this. I have tried to eat more lean protien, drink more water, etc, but I can't fight hunger.
You need to completely change your viewpoint of diet and exercise. It's a way of life, not something that you start and stop when you reach an arbitrary goal. That doesn't mean that you have to be miserable--starving yourself and working out three hours a day isn't healthy or sustainable. The number on the scale isn't an indicator of health by itself, and you don't need to look like a fitness model. Eat healthy food most of the time (a lot of people swear by 80%/20%) and think of food as fuel for your body, not something to do when you're bored. Find some physical activity that you enjoy to work out a few times a week, and you'll see results.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-15-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 05:00 PM

289 posts, read 250,132 times
Would think twice about becoming a vegan its very restrictive to what you can eat and most cant stick to it,and you will need to take supplements, vitamin B12, which only occurs naturally in animal foods. But if you have convictions that way it's possible.
Otherwise a calorie controlled diet counting macros works well for most use myfitnesspal or similar will make tracking easier.
Maybe if you have a friend that is looking to lose weight you could support and help each other.
Anyway find some exercise you enjoy and enjoy the journey it's possible just takes time and consistency.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Would think twice about becoming a vegan its very restrictive to what you can eat and most cant stick to it,and you will need to take supplements, vitamin B12, which only occurs naturally in animal foods. But if you have convictions that way it's possible.
Otherwise a calorie controlled diet counting macros works well for most use myfitnesspal or similar will make tracking easier.
Maybe if you have a friend that is looking to lose weight you could support and help each other.
Anyway find some exercise you enjoy and enjoy the journey it's possible just takes time and consistency.

The whole vegan thing, it's costly... I don't have the financial means to do so. Like after each weight loss, I restrict myself for so long, and I would just eat and eat whatever I want to make up for it. My last few weight loss attempts I only lost 10 pounds or so before I quit.

I don't know, I seem happier when I don't diet, and when I do I feel like crap.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 PM

30,916 posts, read 37,087,679 times
Quote:
The whole vegan thing, it's costly... I don't have the financial means to do so. Like after each weight loss, I restrict myself for so long, and I would just eat and eat whatever I want to make up for it. My last few weight loss attempts I only lost 10 pounds or so before I quit.

I don't know, I seem happier when I don't diet, and when I do I feel like crap.
I don't get where you'd think the whole vegan thing is costly???? I think your perspective on what's vegan is very limited.

A wok with vegetables and a little rice and lentils is cheap.

Oatmeal with some orange or banana is cheap.

Nuts are expensive but you don't need to eat many to feel full.

You don't have to be a total vegan, just keep meat as a secondary thing in your diet.

As another poster said, you have to think of this as a permanent lifestyle change, not just a weight thing. Your weight is the byproduct of your lifestyle.

Check out books like The Blue Zones Kitchen by Dan Buettner

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Ki...B847SGPDQGKAN5

Old 06-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't get where you'd think the whole vegan thing is costly???? I think your perspective on what's vegan is very limited.

A wok with vegetables and a little rice and lentils is cheap.

Oatmeal with some orange or banana is cheap.

Nuts are expensive but you don't need to eat many to feel full.

You don't have to be a total vegan, just keep meat as a secondary thing in your diet.

As another poster said, you have to think of this as a permanent lifestyle change, not just a weight thing. Your weight is the byproduct of your lifestyle.

Check out books like The Blue Zones Kitchen by Dan Buettner

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Ki...B847SGPDQGKAN5

I thought going vegan was all vegan. My diet now is oatmeal, veggies, beans, and I would say that's about 70%. The rest I rice, pasta, meat, fried stuff. My biggest thing is hunger. When I eat the good stuff I always get hungry. When I eat the bad stuff I can last much longer.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Quote:
I thought going vegan was all vegan. My diet now is oatmeal, veggies, beans, and I would say that's about 70%. The rest I rice, pasta, meat, fried stuff. My biggest thing is hunger. When I eat the good stuff I always get hungry. When I eat the bad stuff I can last much longer.
What is good stuff and what is bad stuff?
If you are an omnivore and eating whole grains that are minimally processed, lean meats, monounsaturated oils like olive oil and nuts, and lots of vegetables there really is no reason to be hungry. You may be used to overeating and when you restrict calories in the beginning can be a mental game. But once on track you shouldn't be feeling hungry. If you eat fast food than you will have to get used to lower salt, sugar, and fat.
If I eat a fast food burger (once every 3 or 4 years) I feel full in a sick kind of way. That type of food satiates you very fast, but at a high calorie and health cost.
People are vegan for different reasons. If it is an ethical decision for you than you will need to get a good vegan cookbook that will have recipes for their cheeses and sauces. If you are doing it to lose weight then please know that you do not have to go vegan to lose weight.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,559,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
What is good stuff and what is bad stuff?
If you are an omnivore and eating whole grains that are minimally processed, lean meats, monounsaturated oils like olive oil and nuts, and lots of vegetables there really is no reason to be hungry. You may be used to overeating and when you restrict calories in the beginning can be a mental game. But once on track you shouldn't be feeling hungry.
Exactly. It might help OP to download a food-tracking app and be honest with it. Starving yourself and being miserable isn't a healthy way to lose weight (or do anything.)

Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,085,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You might consider what you eat and explore veganism? It is a substantial learning curve with respect to shopping and cooking, but you can eat massive amounts of food and there's no chance you can fail to lose weight if you cut out sugar and processed foods. It's life changing.

The SAD (Standard American Diet), with its emphasis on salt, fat and sugar, with lots of processed and animals foods, is the root cause of the obesity epidemic. People are not fat because of some personal failings or psychological distress so much as the offerings from the food industries are designed to generate income, not support human health.

There are claims that 99%+ of the diets based on SAD fail, long term. But a plant based diet will not cause your weight to yo-yo, which is discouraging and not healthy.
Veganism certainly isn't the answer for everyone . Yes, Americans eat to much sugar, processed foods,salt and fats, but even vegans can overdo the sodium and there are a lot of ways to eat healthy without giving up animal based foods. Veganism has to be something a person tackles who really believe in it, not just to lose weight. There are a lot of ways to keep weight under control Not only do we eat too many processed foods we do not get the exercise we need. I know I am very guilty of this and am in my 80s. You mention American diets and being a vegan. People living in other countries eat meats, daily products and eggs. They are not as inclined to be over weight like Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss