Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 01:39 PM

249 posts, read 197,902 times

Advertisements

Think there's something to it? I know carbs can adversely affect epilepsy; I use the keto diet to control mine since meds don't work, so I wonder if carbs really do somehow adversely affect our brains, in those susceptible.

For the study, they used MAD, Modified Atkin's Diet.

Here's the article link: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/915192
An excerpt in case you can't open it:

"A ketogenic diet may boost cognition in older adults who have early signs of dementia, preliminary research suggests.

Investigators at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, found that when older adults with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) switched their diet to a low-carbohydrate, high-fat ketogenic diet, they experienced modest improvement in memory, as measured by a standardized test..."

The study was published in the April issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. Here's a link to the abstract of that original publication: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...?dopt=Abstract
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 AM

8 posts, read 4,203 times
Hello,

Keto diet can help in many cases. The only issue is that it has to be used based on the patient's body capacities. It is very difficult for many people to maintain a keto diet long term mainly because it requires a well-functioning liver and that, after all, our cells need sugar (the right one) to function. I myself tried and couldn't do more than 2 weeks on keto diet. But I have to say it really helped me boost my recovery.

Like with all the diets, it has to be adapted to the person. I personally believe that excluding a category of food (I am of course not talking about industrial food here - these can be excluded for life forever is not a solution. A diet should help you for a time while your immune system becomes stronger. Then you can reintegrate the other (healthy) food.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,567,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab19 View Post
Hello,

Keto diet can help in many cases. The only issue is that it has to be used based on the patient's body capacities. It is very difficult for many people to maintain a keto diet long term mainly because it requires a well-functioning liver and that, after all, our cells need sugar (the right one) to function. I myself tried and couldn't do more than 2 weeks on keto diet. But I have to say it really helped me boost my recovery.

Like with all the diets, it has to be adapted to the person. I personally believe that excluding a category of food (I am of course not talking about industrial food here - these can be excluded for life forever is not a solution. A diet should help you for a time while your immune system becomes stronger. Then you can reintegrate the other (healthy) food.
I'm 70 y.o., have followed a keto diet for almost 3 years now, have a couple of friends who have done keto for 5+ years. We are fitter and healthier than most of our age peer friends who eat processed carbs. It's quite easy to remain within keto guidelines, i.e., no more than 20-30 net carbohydrate grams a day, and still eat ample (5-9 daily servings) green vegetables and low-fructose fruits like avocados and zucchinis.

Re "excluding a category of food": untold numbers of people have followed vegan or vegetarian diets their entire lives and remained healthy.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 AM

249 posts, read 197,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 70 y.o., have followed a keto diet for almost 3 years now, have a couple of friends who have done keto for 5+ years. We are fitter and healthier than most of our age peer friends who eat processed carbs. It's quite easy to remain within keto guidelines, i.e., no more than 20-30 net carbohydrate grams a day, and still eat ample (5-9 daily servings) green vegetables and low-fructose fruits like avocados and zucchinis.

Re "excluding a category of food": untold numbers of people have followed vegan or vegetarian diets their entire lives and remained healthy.
I agree--and congrats on your success! I've been on keto for seizures for 10+ years, but I do think people need to use the healthy version, e.g., avocados instead of sausage for healthy fat, or cholesterol can be detrimental if cardio or resistance training aren't part of the equation.

One downfall to this study was the number of participants, though like the other post says, it can be difficult for some to maintain, but I think if they were properly guided, it could work for them.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 4,203 times
Hi biscuitmom,

The goal of my message was more to remind that any diet should be adapted to people's capacities to handle it (and to enjoy it). I was not saying that keto on a long term works for no one. If it works long term for you (and you enjoy it) good for you. But not everybody want/can be keto for life. I also don't think a diet should be transformed into a religion.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:30 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,558,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab19 View Post
Hi biscuitmom,

The goal of my message was more to remind that any diet should be adapted to people's capacities to handle it (and to enjoy it). I was not saying that keto on a long term works for no one. If it works long term for you (and you enjoy it) good for you. But not everybody want/can be keto for life. I also don't think a diet should be transformed into a religion.
Agreed. I openly admit that a keto diet would be a non-starter for me unless medically required.

Your eating plan needs to be something that you can do long term and I don't see myself eating a high fat diet for life. For others it's the way to go and whatever it takes to lose weight and/or improve one's health then so be it.

But it doesn't work for everyone and IMHO, simply "not wanting to do it" is reason enough. I noticed vast health improvements by reducing overall calories and exercising more.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,812,694 times
My dad said he knew a monk who only eats twice a month is 80+ and only eats mushrooms.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:49 PM

487 posts, read 906,450 times
I absolutely hate avocados. Substitute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss