Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm 18 years old female, 5'3 and 165lbs. For the past 5 years, I maintained a weight of 140-150lbs. In January of this year, I unexpectedly gained 15lbs doing nothing out of the ordinary, i have a BMI of 29.1. Since then I've been doing pretty much everything I can to get the weight off and nothing is working! I go on a 1.5-mile walk 2-3 days a week on roads with lots of hills, exercise at home 3-4 days a week and eat a 1200 calorie diet and limit snacking. I drink 2 liters of water a day consistently and take a green tea extract 2 times daily. I tried the slim fast diet for 2 weeks and no budge. I've tried crazy detoxes, fasting, coffee clubs, appetite suppressants, any fad you could think of. In the last two months, I've completely cut out fast food and only drink sugar-free drinks. If anything I've been gaining weight. The most upsetting part is last spring I was preparing for a marathon with my mom and dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks doing moderate exercise and not cutting my diet down hardly at all. I'm not pregnant and took a thyroid blood test a few months ago which came back negative. I really couldn't tell you what I'm doing wrong, with my age the weight should be dropping off. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can improve. I have a trip to Europe coming up at the end of the summer and am trying to lose at least 15lbs before then!
I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Last edited by bumble100; 07-06-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,074 times
I'd strongly recommend visiting a physician. I'm absolutely fine now but seven years ago they removed a 30.7cm in diameter tumor from my ovary, along with doing a complete bilateral hysterectomy. It was Stage 1A ovarian cancer. I had a big belly and if I hadn't gone to the doctor when I did I would have died.

Go to the doctor.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'd strongly recommend visiting a physician. I'm absolutely fine now but seven years ago they removed a 30.7cm in diameter tumor from my ovary, along with doing a complete bilateral hysterectomy. It was Stage 1A ovarian cancer. I had a big belly and if I hadn't gone to the doctor when I did I would have died.

Go to the doctor.
I second this. I had a friend who had a huge benign tumor removed and she did not even realize she had it. I think it was something like the size of a grapefruit by the time it was found. You can also have fibroids that grow large or weight gain from polycystic ovarian syndrome. It sounds like the OP is doing everything right in terms of diet and exercise. If she can’t lose weight, there is probably something else going on.

Another possibility is birth control or a medication. OP are you on hormonal birth control or a new medication? There are some methods of birth control that cause women to gain weight and they have trouble losing it.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:44 PM

249 posts, read 197,004 times
Sounds like you've been to the doctor within the last few month for that thyroid test, right? Were any other tests run? Assuming you don't have cancer or medication-induced weight gain, I have a few ideas:

1. How do you know you're eating 1200 calories? Do you use a tracking app? People eat many, many more calories than they think, according to clinical research. I would suggest the app Lose It; the free version even scans bar codes to pick up info for you.
2. If you're not already on a specific plan and want to try something different, cut out all processed foods, and eat only whole foods; that means no bread, pasta, lunch meat, cereal, chips, cheese, etc., but eat any/all grilled/steamed/sauteed veggies except corn/potatoes/beets; include grilled/roasted white-meat chicken (no skin) and fish.
3. Consider your exercise. Moderate walking with moderate incline for 60 minutes burns about 150 calories, depending upon your weight and speed--that's not much. We really can't burn off much food with this type of exercise. I know you said you also work out, but I'm unsure of the type/length. If you really want exercise to cut more calories, you need serious cardio workouts. Strength training will build muscle and put on weight, so it sounds like cardio would work better for you.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 PM

289 posts, read 249,127 times
How are you calculating that 1200 calorie input?

Are you weighing everything including condiments and all fluids cooking oils etc.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,076,185 times
I would aim for a solid one hour walk every day. There is a myth that you only need 30 minutes a few days a week. I have never found that to be the case.

You may miss a few days due to weather or other things, but aim to do it every day. In the hot weather I get it done early in the morning.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
Ditch all the gimmicks - Slim Fast, Green tea extract, etc...
Eat real food, as in non processed. Vegetables, fruits, lean protein, good fats, whole grains, water. Write down everything you eat, and eat proper portion size. Google it if you are not sure what a proper portion size looks like.

Exercise as much as you can - walk, run, body weight resistance training, cycle, weights.
You will start losing weight - about 1 to 2 pounds a week. Weight loss takes time and is not linear. You may not lose one week, but still stay the course.
If you try and rush the process it will backfire.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I second this. I had a friend who had a huge benign tumor removed and she did not even realize she had it. I think it was something like the size of a grapefruit by the time it was found. You can also have fibroids that grow large or weight gain from polycystic ovarian syndrome. It sounds like the OP is doing everything right in terms of diet and exercise. If she can’t lose weight, there is probably something else going on.

Another possibility is birth control or a medication. OP are you on hormonal birth control or a new medication? There are some methods of birth control that cause women to gain weight and they have trouble losing it.
Ive been on a IUD for about 3 years and never experinced weight gain with it. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and will definitely inquire about that!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
How are you calculating that 1200 calorie input?

Are you weighing everything including condiments and all fluids cooking oils etc.
I use a my phones fitness app! I dont weigh everything because i feel like i shouldnt need to in order to be losing weight at my age.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Sounds like you've been to the doctor within the last few month for that thyroid test, right? Were any other tests run? Assuming you don't have cancer or medication-induced weight gain, I have a few ideas:

1. How do you know you're eating 1200 calories? Do you use a tracking app? People eat many, many more calories than they think, according to clinical research. I would suggest the app Lose It; the free version even scans bar codes to pick up info for you.
2. If you're not already on a specific plan and want to try something different, cut out all processed foods, and eat only whole foods; that means no bread, pasta, lunch meat, cereal, chips, cheese, etc., but eat any/all grilled/steamed/sauteed veggies except corn/potatoes/beets; include grilled/roasted white-meat chicken (no skin) and fish.
3. Consider your exercise. Moderate walking with moderate incline for 60 minutes burns about 150 calories, depending upon your weight and speed--that's not much. We really can't burn off much food with this type of exercise. I know you said you also work out, but I'm unsure of the type/length. If you really want exercise to cut more calories, you need serious cardio workouts. Strength training will build muscle and put on weight, so it sounds like cardio would work better for you.
I use a fitness app to track my calories! The work outs i do at home include weight lifting, crunches, plans, jumping jacks those sort if thing. I just feel like at my age i shouldnt have to be working this hard to lose the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss