Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Two things you have to realize about fat loss and fitness:

1- The diet part of fat loss may mean some periods of hunger but you will adjust to those as you progress. The trick is to not stop short. Just a change in what you eat and when/portions you eat, not even the amount of food, can contribute significantly to fat loss.

2- Fat loss and keeping off the fat means a lifestyle change (if your current lifestyle helped you get fat... and it most likely did). If you can't make time to eat right and be active enough to stay fit then you're not ready to be fit. Save your money and don't spend it on gimmicks.

I exercise 4 days/week. I'm fairly active generally. What is it that you do that precludes you from being fit?

I was trying to indicate that the various items I have read all indicate the hunger is permanent and continuous - not just during weight loss.

"Just a change in ... when/portions you eat, not even the amount of food, can contribute significantly to fat loss." Isn't that the same thing?

"Save your money and don't spend it on gimmicks." Never been interested in those, fortunately.

"What is it that you do that precludes you from being fit?" As I mentioned - time. I have a real job and I'm a student, but aside from that, I have all the time in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:25 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
I was trying to indicate that the various items I have read all indicate the hunger is permanent and continuous - not just during weight loss.
I've never been "Fat" but I sure have been somewhat overweight, carrying a decent deal of bulk, and when dieting down it took no more than a week or so to get used to the new meal plan. No lasting hunger pains.

Quote:
"Just a change in ... when/portions you eat, not even the amount of food, can contribute significantly to fat loss." Isn't that the same thing?
Depending on how you spread your food throughout the day you can make your body more efficient at processing and less inclined to store. Also, the quality of the food you eat (read: ditch the junk) has a great impact as well.

Quote:
"Save your money and don't spend it on gimmicks." Never been interested in those, fortunately.
Good!

Quote:
"What is it that you do that precludes you from being fit?" As I mentioned - time. I have a real job and I'm a student, but aside from that, I have all the time in the world!
Does your school have a gym?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I've found that by eating smaller portions, after a while, you can no longer eat as much as you used to! That, and eating healthier foods, has given me a 17 lb loss, down from 137! I'm 53, 5'4" and I'm doing some actual exercise, aside from the yard work, walking and everyday activities I always did. My tummy looks great and my arms aren't jiggly--I'm looking pretty good! I actually can't wait for bathing suit season (it's still chilly here!) to show off all my hard work!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I've found that by eating smaller portions, after a while, you can no longer eat as much as you used to! That, and eating healthier foods, has given me a 17 lb loss, down from 137! I'm 53, 5'4" and I'm doing some actual exercise, aside from the yard work, walking and everyday activities I always did. My tummy looks great and my arms aren't jiggly--I'm looking pretty good! I actually can't wait for bathing suit season (it's still chilly here!) to show off all my hard work!
^^^^ made me smile. Such a nice thing to read about people doing things correctly.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times
Quote:
I've never been "Fat" but I sure have been somewhat overweight, carrying a decent deal of bulk, and when dieting down it took no more than a week or so to get used to the new meal plan. No lasting hunger pains.

Depending on how you spread your food throughout the day you can make your body more efficient at processing and less inclined to store. Also, the quality of the food you eat (read: ditch the junk) has a great impact as well.

Good!

Does your school have a gym?

I would assume that someone indicating that they need to lose a lot of weight is more than just somewhat overweight.

All of the people interviewed for the book (and other studies I've read) report being hungry most of the time after having lost weight. Not necessarily hunger pains - just consistent hunger.

What does is matter whether or not my school has a gym? There are gyms all over the place.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
I would assume that someone indicating that they need to lose a lot of weight is more than just somewhat overweight.

All of the people interviewed for the book (and other studies I've read) report being hungry most of the time after having lost weight. Not necessarily hunger pains - just consistent hunger.
Having surveyed over half a dozen (7) former fatties I'm friends with, most (5) are telling me that they are not perpetually hungry.

Quote:
What does is matter whether or not my school has a gym? There are gyms all over the place.
I was only suggesting a gym that would be near your place of study, a question aimed at someone who has concerns about time to allocate to working out.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,466 times
The people who claim that they are hungry ALL the time are probably confusing hunger with something else. If you are used to eating whatever and whenever you feel like, without thinking and in big quantities, changing to healthy eating habits can be a huge change. I would think some people never get used to it and feel deprived or keep thinking about food all the time.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Having surveyed over half a dozen (7) former fatties I'm friends with, most (5) are telling me that they are not perpetually hungry.
Revision: After last night's impromptu survey some of the friends who told me they feel no hunger got back to me to revise their vote: apparently they have a complex about hunger and they usually "don't feel full". I thought it was worth posting. Hmmm...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

268 posts, read 1,160,049 times
Quote:
Revision: After last night's impromptu survey some of the friends who told me they feel no hunger got back to me to revise their vote: apparently they have a complex about hunger and they usually "don't feel full". I thought it was worth posting. Hmmm...
I think some people (I'm not going to say all for fear of being attacked on this board) who have a weight problem where overeating is the main cause, they confuse "full" with "stuffed, can't eat another bite, my stomach is going to burst - full". There is a big difference, and I think it may take some people more time to subconsciously know that the former is enough and the latter is too much.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I've managed to lose some weight without being hungry all the time..

Basically, I make myself a PB&J every morning. I use "natural" peanut butter, 100% fruit spread, and healthy grain bread (Milton's). Along with a glass of milk, this is my idea of a well-balanced breakfast.

I don't eat the entire sandwich in one sitting! Basically, I keep it in a container next to me at work. Whenever I start to feel hungry, I take a bite, chew it slowly, and get back to whatever I was doing. It takes about 4 hours to finish the sandwich. By this time, it's 1130 or so, and I'm not even remotely hungry!

However, I do get lunch ready to go, and follow the same process as with breakfast. I'm not shorting myself on food. I'm not dealing with hunger pains.

As for "exercise," I usually walk/jog around two miles a day. There's a beautiful park that I go to in the evenings.. unless it's yucky outside. If it's yucky, I just do some weight training at home for 30 minutes.

I have noticed that my weight hasn't gone down too much in terms of numbers... but I have lost around 3 inches around my mid-section in the past 2 months. Along with that, I feel more energized and feel overall better about myself.

Another thing:

Don't make sweets the enemy. Do not make any food a "forbidden fruit," or so to speak. If you want cake, get a small piece of cake and savour it! If you keep telling yourself not to touch sweets (like chocolate), eventually most give in to temptation and binge on the food. Allow yourself some play room for a piece of chocolate here or there.

Oh, and once you lose the weight, don't go back to your old ways. That's how you ended up in a position to need to lose weight in the first place. Don't do the roller coaster diet plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss