Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Eating processed foods won't make you fat.
Eating too large a quantity of processed foods will make you fat.
A recent study tended to dispute that.

A group of people allowed to eat as much as they wanted of minimally processed food was compared to another group that ate as much as they wanted of "ultra-processed" food.

With both groups eating as much as they wanted, the group eating the ultra-processed food got substantially fatter.

Obesity as a national problem didn't increase gradually over the 20th century. People got healthier, stronger, and taller over the course of the first 75 years. A processed meal was a TV dinner: A regular meal that was merely frozen. A hamburger was directly ground beef.

It was in the 80s that obesity ballooned in the US, and in the 80s that foods became radically ultra-processed, as well as diets for many becoming mostly fast foods. It was also during that period that two-income families and single-parent families became norms.

Do a Google images search to see for yourself. Compare images of ordinary people (street scenes, groups scenes), particularly young adults and teens, from the 70s and earlier with those from the 90s and later.

I do think there is a genetic component to it, and I do think that the commercial encouragement to larger portions is part of it. But the 80s is clearly definable as the period that something dramatic happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 07:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A recent study tended to dispute that.

A group of people allowed to eat as much as they wanted of minimally processed food was compared to another group that ate as much as they wanted of "ultra-processed" food.

With both groups eating as much as they wanted, the group eating the ultra-processed food got substantially fatter.

Obesity as a national problem didn't increase gradually over the 20th century. People got healthier, stronger, and taller over the course of the first 75 years. A processed meal was a TV dinner: A regular meal that was merely frozen. A hamburger was directly ground beef.

It was in the 80s that obesity ballooned in the US, and in the 80s that foods became radically ultra-processed, as well as diets for many becoming mostly fast foods. It was also during that period that two-income families and single-parent families became norms.

Do a Google images search to see for yourself. Compare images of ordinary people (street scenes, groups scenes), particularly young adults and teens, from the 70s and earlier with those from the 90s and later.

I do think there is a genetic component to it, and I do think that the commercial encouragement to larger portions is part of it. But the 80s is clearly definable as the period that something dramatic happened.
There are way more calories packed into processed foods than unprocessed foods. No real mystery.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are way more calories packed into processed foods than unprocessed foods. No real mystery.
The study determined more than that. It also determined that the processed foods were of designed compositions to increase appetite.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The study determined more than that. It also determined that the processed foods were of designed compositions to increase appetite.
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Economic advantage seems to be the main objective with most companies, the public good be damned. Typical.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:13 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Abdominal fat that accumulates around the pancreas is thought to contribute to metabolic syndrome. IOW belly fat is worse than booty fat.
Then I never need to worry about diabetes! Lol. But back to the topic at hand (or mouth.) There are many complex causes of obesity. The simplest and probably most prevalent one is we consume more far more calories than we expend. It's mush easier to get fat nowadays than be skinny. Our food is unhealthy and our jobs/schools are too sedentary. Unhealthy food is usually much cheaper than healthy food. Then we drive a car to our office jobs and work st a sitting job 10 hours a day, getting 1000 calorie Chinese takeout food for lunch and 600 calorie Starbucks macchiatos in the afternoon. Factor in relaxing at home with 4 hours of TV or video games five nights a week and BBQs with the fam on weekends and you have a recipe for obesity.

Hormone wise, leptin is the hormone that makes us feel full. When we overdo eating and the buffets, we become insensitive to the feeling of fullness leptin gives us, leading to more weight gain. That, in turn, makes us more insulin resistant, increasing our risk of diabetes. And on and on. What OP is referring to are psychological risk factors for diabetes. My mom had morbid obesity and to sum it up, she told me she developed obesity as a psychological defense mechanism to childhood trauma. She said she thought if she was fat, people would not be sexually attracted to her and the obesity would somehow protect her like a shield. If her claim was true, and I'm not sure it was or if she just felt hopeless even attempting to combat such a severe weight issue and was just making excuses, it seemed to work. She was 5'3" and 300 pounds at the time of her death from cancer. She was only 45 years old.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then I never need to worry about diabetes! Lol. But back to the topic at hand (or mouth.) There are many complex causes of obesity. The simplest and probably most prevalent one is we consume more far more calories than we expend. It's mush easier to get fat nowadays than be skinny. Our food is unhealthy and our jobs/schools are too sedentary. Unhealthy food is usually much cheaper than healthy food. Then we drive a car to our office jobs and work st a sitting job 10 hours a day, getting 1000 calorie Chinese takeout food for lunch and 600 calorie Starbucks macchiatos in the afternoon. Factor in relaxing at home with 4 hours of TV or video games five nights a week and BBQs with the fam on weekends and you have a recipe for obesity.

Hormone wise, leptin is the hormone that makes us feel full. When we overdo eating and the buffets, we become insensitive to the feeling of fullness leptin gives us, leading to more weight gain. That, in turn, makes us more insulin resistant, increasing our risk of diabetes. And on and on. What OP is referring to are psychological risk factors for diabetes. My mom had morbid obesity and to sum it up, she told me she developed obesity as a psychological defense mechanism to childhood trauma. She said she thought if she was fat, people would not be sexually attracted to her and the obesity would somehow protect her like a shield. If her claim was true, and I'm not sure it was or if she just felt hopeless even attempting to combat such a severe weight issue and was just making excuses, it seemed to work. She was 5'3" and 300 pounds at the time of her death from cancer. She was only 45 years old.

Your poor mom. A lot of women and not a few men become obese in response to childhood trauma. Then people traumatize them further through social ostracism and verbal abuse. This verbal abuse is not, IMO, dissimilar to racism. I dissociate myself from anybody who does that, or who assumes I might go along with it. A lot of folks do that without any awareness of the damage they're inflicting.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Hormone wise, leptin is the hormone that makes us feel full. When we overdo eating and the buffets, we become insensitive to the feeling of fullness leptin gives us, leading to more weight gain. That, in turn, makes us more insulin resistant, increasing our risk of diabetes.

Which is why kids who were made to clean their plates every meal tend to get overweight IMHO. They are forced to consistently eat past the point of fullness until that mechanism is over ridden or doesn't click in anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss