Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,434,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Diet Soda vs Regular Soda? Which Is Better For Health?
If "HEALTH" is your primary concern here, then NEITHER diet or regular soda should be on your menu. I drink on average about 2-3 sodas per YEAR because HEALTH is my primary concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't remember why soda causes kidney stones but I know it does. My ex had a kidney stone and I did the research and it turned out it was the coke he drank every single day. That was 20 years ago since he finally gave up coke. I think maybe it depleted magnesium?
Never had a kidney stone.
I take supplemental magnesium because it's effective at preventing leg cramps.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Never had a kidney stone.
I take supplemental magnesium because it's effective at preventing leg cramps.

Effective for you because you would otherwise be magnesium deficient. Other people who get leg cramps can be deficient in zinc or potassium. (Wonder why you have a magnesium deficiency .)

Old 09-06-2019, 01:15 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,360,468 times
The kidney stone connection is probably because most sodas contain caffeine which is a diuretic. The caffeine causes you to lose more water than you intake from the beverage. The same is true for tea, coffee, and alcohol. Lowered fluid intake puts you at risk for kidney stones.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
The kidney stone connection is probably because most sodas contain caffeine which is a diuretic. The caffeine causes you to lose more water than you intake from the beverage. The same is true for tea, coffee, and alcohol. Lowered fluid intake puts you at risk for kidney stones.
Could be. I'm not going to keep googling but I do think some of it depends upon what kind of kidney stone they have.

I'm coming across a lot that say it's due to phosphoric acid too.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-lots-of-water

specifically colas acidified with phosphoric acid

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3731916/

Consumption of sugar-sweetened soda and punch is associated with a higher risk of stone formation, whereas consumption of coffee, tea, beer, wine, and orange juice is associated with a lower risk.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...64D4HO20100514

...diet versions of several popular citrus-flavored sodas — like 7Up, Sunkist and Sprite — contained relatively high amounts of a compound called citrate. Citrate, in turn, is known to inhibit the formation of calcium oxalate stones, the most common form of kidney stone.

The bottom line seems to be that if your concern is kidney stones, then diet citrus soda is better. But if I keep googling, I start coming across the reasons why ANY soda is bad for you, diet or not. The chemicals in diet soda cause other problems.

Such as:

Artificial sweeteners alter the gut flora, leading to reduced blood sugar control. This may be one way diet soda increases the risk of type 2 diabetes, but more research is needed ( 51 , 52 ).

https://www.healthline.com › nutrition › diet-soda-good-or-bad

https://www.health.com/health/galler...=123060#123060

researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University. Their study found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none. Regular soda drinkers did not appear to have an increased risk of vascular events.

It kind of depends upon whether you want kidney stones (regular soda) or diabetes, or maybe a stroke (diet soda.) Research is being done all the time and they are always finding more reasons to not drink any kind of soda--even possibly Alzheimers from diet soda due to the artificial sweeteners changing the bacteria in the gut. (and that's not even counting the probable effects of artificial colors and preservatives.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-06-2019 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Effective for you because you would otherwise be magnesium deficient. Other people who get leg cramps can be deficient in zinc or potassium. (Wonder why you have a magnesium deficiency .)
My doctor put me on a low carb diet for diabetes control and told me that I would need to take supplements.
Whether if diet soda has anything to do with a deficiency is unknown.
But the supplements take care of it, so no problem.

I had Type 2 diabetes before I ever drank diet soda, so for me that correlation does not fly.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:20 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,360,468 times
I also thought part of the problem with diet soda was that the sweetener still caused an insulin response in the body, just like sugar, and if people drank more diet soda thinking it was "better than sugar", they could still end up on the road to diabetes.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,763,524 times
You can get used to anything and un-used to anything. I had to give up sodas in the 80's and have been drinking water and black coffee since. Like a few above, I don't want to drink calories. I used to crave the carbonation, now I crave the fresh clean taste of water.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,914,563 times
Mineral water like Pelligrino or Perrier helps with the desire for carbonated drinks. I don't know if the actual minerals, if any, have any health benefits.

You can always add a little unsweetened juice. In season I boil fresh cranberries and make juice. They're not always available but you can stock up in the freezer. I used to use organic Stevia, and before that, Truvia, but I've learned to live without it.

Mostly, now, I'm drinking green tea. Cold. Green tea is supposed to have antioxidants, and if I drink other things, the green tea gets left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss