Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The list does result in less calories in and more calories out.

It's a very simple list that results in exactly what you're saying, but gives practical ways to do it. No one is insisting that people do every single one, but there are many healthy people that live that lifestyle on that list.

Just think if the morbidly obese person could switch from sodas and shakes to water - one step towards being healthier.
Maybe or maybe not. Without actually tracking calories there’s no way to tell if calories in are less than calories out.

And I’m not saying they’re bad suggestions. I’m just saying they’re not necessary for weight loss. Given our obesity epidemic we need to figure out why people are so resistant to changing their habits. Telling someone they have to cut out all sugar, drink only water or join a gym are things some will point to and say “Might as well not even try since I can’t do those things”.

Why not just say “Eat less than X calories a day” and leave it up to the individual how they want to spend those calories? Yes, this may lead to a suboptimal diet, but a thin person who eats few vegetables is still far healthier than an obese person who does the same.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-10-2019 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
People just assume the CICO model is the most effective when in fact, the long term results in over 90% of the cases indicate that once people stop the diet, they gain the weight back, plus some. This results in yo-yo dieting, which has very negative health effects.

Something is missing in the CICO model which intermittent fasting addresses: autophagy. The issue is not just what you eat but when you eat. And veganism is also a factor to consider. A plant based diet is very useful as a weight loss tool, setting aside the ethical and ecological issues.

But at least let's not continue to promote CICO when, long term, it does more damage than good.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 378 times
Default Don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, I didn't think the advice was bad, I just object to the notion of "quickly." I think, historically, weight that is lost quickly comes back quickly, plus some, and that is because the dieter didn't really learn anything--about themselves, and about nutrition.
After gravity, I've got a couple of pounds more. But, everyone told me " you look fine". Kids, husband, home, and work. I worked, I cooked and then all over again. That was my life in the last ten years. When I decided that is enough, I already have a 30 kilo overweight. On the internet, in the newspaper, there is so many different product whose claim that you are going to lose weight 5 to 10 kilos in 10, 20 or 30 days. I tried to go with so many diets, and I was frustrated very soon because I couldn't find time to make especially my meal. It's simply doesn't work for busy wives and mams. But, about six months ago, my colleague give me a solution, simple and elegant, as it was made for me. So, don't lose your faith, it is not all fake. I'm happy now and I've got my weight back like I was a schoolgirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss