Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 965 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for a simple and healthy diet? I only have a rice cooker that can also cook some vegetables in a small tray. Have been eating like absolute crap and want that to change. Looking for healthy alternatives for breakfast, lunch and dinner that I don't have to cook for a long time or prep a bunch for. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a fantastic day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
Most grocery store delis have baked chicken. Buy a couple pieces and if you have a microwave buy a bag of steamable vegetables. Or cook some fresh or frozen veggies in your rice cooker. Fruit or nuts for snacks and dessert.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
I don't concur with the chicken. Maybe you should do some research on plant based diets. It's a time-consuming learning curve, to be sure, but well worth the effort.

Chickens are the most abused animals in the planet.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry McBurger View Post
Any suggestions for a simple and healthy diet? I only have a rice cooker that can also cook some vegetables in a small tray. Have been eating like absolute crap and want that to change. Looking for healthy alternatives for breakfast, lunch and dinner that I don't have to cook for a long time or prep a bunch for. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a fantastic day.
With a rice cooker you can cook many things.

Where I live, there is a 4-hour cooking class on things to cook with a rice cooker.

Seriously, look at YouTube.

I'm simple so only use mine for quinoa with Basmati rice, at times lentils. Steel cut oats.

Most of what I eat is not cooked in a rice cooker nor cooked at all ut I love the rice cooker.

Turn it on and go to the gym or do errands.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Think about investing in an instant pot. There are a lot of "one pot" healthy dishes out there. I made chili in mine yesterday.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:41 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Green vegetables
Lean meats
Nuts & seeds
Limited starches & carbs. (no sugared drinks)

Old 09-30-2019, 05:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Salmon, tilapia, chicken breast, ground turkey. Shrimp is low calorie and low fat but high cholesterol.

If you can find a way to cook more vegetables, that would be even better. Fill your stomach on vegetables first.

Or salad. Add salad toppers, onions, chicken breast, tomato, cilantro to it. Very little cooking required.

Do you like sandwiches? Can't go wrong with deli meat.

Sushi is very healthy.

Yogurt, lots of fruit.

Eat less carbs.

My co-worker eats salad almost every day, she loves raspberries and blueberries, and she eats sandwiches and yogurt. She went from looking pregnant (no lie) to a flat belly.

But most important is to eat LESS overall. It really is calories out must be more than calories in.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
We use the bottom bowl of our rice cooker for brown rice or wild rice (healthier than white rice) and the top tray to steam vegetables. You could steam some tofu along with the vegetables.

There are Oriental bottled sauces you could use to season your rice bowl. Or make your own with 4-5 ingredients...I make mine with low-sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, some hot sauce and a bit of brown sugar or honey...add some peanut butter if you like peanut sauce...

Old 10-06-2019, 04:35 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
What is healthy for one individual, may not work for someone else.

So healthy for YOU, yes, you may need to research and experiment.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Eat foods that are minimally processed. Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits, lean proteins, healthy fats and hole grains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss