Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

Why it may seem like calories don't matter for weight loss

You guys make me laugh because it seems I get the same replies. Counting calories doesn't work at all, it is old school diet that doesn't resonate with any new kind of dieting techniques. Calorie is an energy measurement.

There are good and bad calories, good calories comes from proteins and fat. Bad calories are empty ones like sugar and simple carbs.

The body takes good calories and use it to build tissues and repair. Bad calories such as sugar gets stored as body fat.

That is why calorie counting doesn't work. Eating the right category of foods is the best way to diet.

I didn't lose 20lbs by eating a low calorie diet, I ate a lot of calories that are nutrient dense foods and my body did not store them as fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

You guys make me laugh because it seems I get the same replies. Counting calories doesn't work at all, it is old school diet that doesn't resonate with any new kind of dieting techniques. Calorie is an energy measurement.

There are good and bad calories, good calories comes from proteins and fat. Bad calories are empty ones like sugar and simple carbs.

The body takes good calories and use it to build tissues and repair. Bad calories such as sugar gets stored as body fat.

That is why calorie counting doesn't work. Eating the right category of foods is the best way to diet.

I didn't lose 20lbs by eating a low calorie diet, I ate a lot of calories that are nutrient dense foods and my body did not store them as fats.
YOU did not. Other people did and still do, successfully, everyday. I have many friends who have been successful maintaining long term, significant weight loss without strange fad diets. One used weight watchers. She lost the weight primarily in 2004, gained a bit of it back in pregnancy, and is now a fitness instructor and is fit/toned. I have a couple of friends who used to be 250-300 pounds. One is usually at 150 now. We go out to eat and he does not follow a fad diet. I have known him 6 years. I have known the other guy 8 and they have been at their lower weights the whole time.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
Agree, I'm chuckling myself.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:

I lost weight by counting calories and have maintained my loss. So have scores of other people who in the long run have maintained their loss from doing just that, watching their caloric intake, and not by eliminating food groups. I go out to dinner quite a bit. I love sourdough bread dipped in olive oil, and pasta, and maybe even a dessert. I just adjust my caloric intake in order to eat like that. I also exercise 4 to 5 days a week. That also enables me to eat whatever the heck I want.

How long have you been eating the way you do? Are you at your goal weight?

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

What works for you may not work for others.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
YOU did not. Other people did and still do, successfully, everyday. I have many friends who have been successful maintaining long term, significant weight loss without strange fad diets. One used weight watchers. She lost the weight primarily in 2004, gained a bit of it back in pregnancy, and is now a fitness instructor and is fit/toned. I have a couple of friends who used to be 250-300 pounds. One is usually at 150 now. We go out to eat and he does not follow a fad diet. I have known him 6 years. I have known the other guy 8 and they have been at their lower weights the whole time.
What fad diet are you talking about, there's no such thing as a fad diet. We all know that sugar causes weight gain because it's empty calories. No doctor will tell you to eat as much sugar and count calories.

You're making a claim that everybody counts calories and eat candies and lose weight. If that worked, calorie counting would be the end all diet but it doesn't work. Because people just keep break out of their calorie restricting diet.

I've posted links that support it while you and luckyd just keeps posting the same out of date dieting information. Counting calories is old school, it doesn't work at all because nobody ever follows through.

If you eat a diet without empty calories and nutrient dense diet you will be satisfied longer and no need more calories and the body is very good at getting rid of excess calories as long as it is not sugar or carbs.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/p...ng-calories-in

Yes, go ahead and say that I am a liar. There are plenty of doctors that doesn't support calorie counting by eating the right category of foods.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
What fad diet are you talking about, there's no such thing as a fad diet. We all know that sugar causes weight gain because it's empty calories. No doctor will tell you to eat as much sugar and count calories.

You're making a claim that everybody counts calories and eat candies and lose weight. If that worked, calorie counting would be the end all diet but it doesn't work. Because people just keep break out of their calorie restricting diet.

I've posted links that support it while you and luckyd just keeps posting the same out of date dieting information. Counting calories is old school, it doesn't work at all because nobody ever follows through.

If you eat a diet without empty calories and nutrient dense diet you will be satisfied longer and no need more calories and the body is very good at getting rid of excess calories as long as it is not sugar or carbs.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/p...ng-calories-in

Yes, go ahead and say that I am a liar. There are plenty of doctors that doesn't support calorie counting by eating the right category of foods.
Many good, nutrient dense items have sugar, like fruits. Even potatoes, which are starchy, have a lot of nutrients if cooked properly. No one on here is suggesting people go out and eat candy and donuts for weight loss. What we are suggesting is that cutting out food groups like carbs or sugar, when fruits and carbs do have nutrients, is not sustainable for the vast majority of the non-diabetic population.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:35 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:

Right.

Go on a sugar fast. Ten tablespoons of sugar per day (500 calories) and water. Do it for two weeks. Report on how much weight you've gained, should be two pounds. You'll turn that sugar into fat while your body runs off magic fairy powder.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:43 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
One theory is that diets don't work because if you take it off fast, you can put it on just as fast. I found this to be true over about a 30 year period. You basically have to develop a style of eating that you can be satisfied with that lets you lose weight and maintain the new weight forever. Anything else is generally doomed to failure. Instead of a tremendous amount of will power for a short period, usually followed by gaining it all back, you exert a small bit of will power the rest of your life. The advantage is your body creates a plateau or set point that makes it easier to stay at a given weight you have been at for a long period. And eating less becomes the new normal.

After I retired I lost 20 lbs. in a year by just not having a big danish or bear claw and large coffee every morning at work for breakfast. I have a small muffin or a nut bar and decaf coffee with half and half instead. For lunch I have a microwave sausage and cheese in a half pita pocket, a hot chocolate milk and a couple of small cookies. For dinner I eat about half the portion I used to, and have a Haagen Daz ice cream on a stick for dessert. Later in the evening, about an hour before going to bed I usually have a cup of decaf coffee with half and half and an individual serving of Chobani Less Sugar flavored Greek yogurt.

Over a seven year period I lost about 44 lbs. total which put me at my proper weight (191 lbs, 6' 1-1/2"), where I have been for about 3 years now. I weigh myself every morning in my underwear before getting dressed. If I am a pound up, I eat a little less that day, if I am a pound low I eat a little more. Although I don't count calories, it really boils down to calories, and I have about 1800 to 2000 a day. It doesn't matter what they are made up of. It's basic math. A certain number of calories will maintain you at a certain body weight indefinitely. Less will cause a weight loss, more will cause a weight gain.

If I occasionally have a heavy meal like Chinese takeout, or baby back ribs smothered in barbecue sauce at the steakhouse, I might gain a pound or two the next morning, but it's easy to take right off by eating less for a day or two.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-26-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 05:25 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
I agree with the overblown idea that you will go all serious body-breakdown if you have a deficit.

I am quite flexible with my caloric intake.....sometimes going below my basic-metabolic-rate. Really not a big deal as long as I don't go too low, for too long.........and it is self-regulating anyways, I get cranky after a couple of days if I do not eat enough.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,870 times
Eating 1000 calories or less per day long term (more than a few days) is not going to give your body what it needs to function properly (including muscle repair, cell energy, proper digestion which requires energy etc). You may feel ok and think you are fine, but likely you aren't. I did it for a long time when I was anorexic, and was forced to have tests done in a treatment facility. It turned out I had severe bradycardia, heart arrythmias, bone density loss and microfractures, low sodium, low iron, niacin deficiency and the list goes on. It becomes harder to exercise and keep up with work and life when your body becomes run down that way. Also, long term restriction leads to stimulation of appetite hormones like leptin and gherlin, which leads to eventual binges. I kept up a strict dietary regimen for a long time with calories between 1000-1300 for over six months until I was very underweight (132 lbs down to 90 lbs), and then the uncontrollable bingeing started. I found out quickly that even one binge when your metabolism is slowed way down (despite exercise and keeping protein higher) can cause several lbs of weight gain and usually in the form of fat. I've yet to meet anyone who has kept weight off over two years eating less than 1000 calories per day for a length of time, unless it was medically supervised and even then (working as a medical coder and seeing a lot of this) there are health problems that result and must be managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss