Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 08:27 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times

Advertisements

OK, the story at the website mainly speaks to the ramifications of industrial dairy-farms.....mainly the treatment the cows receive.

Dairy-foods are a very healthy and delicious part of many peoples diets.

Providing food for a huge amount of people requires a very efficient process that can be, at times, not the most pleasant for the animals...............certainly should not be cruel. But this factory-farming concept can be applied to just about any type animal being raised in this environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,755 times
I didn't see anything in that article about how dairy kills humans. Also, I'd argue that veganism kills more total animals. Should we forget about all the rodent, bird and insect deaths? Is a cow life somehow more valuable than a bird, rodent, or insect life?

Old 12-09-2019, 06:46 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I didn't see anything in that article about how dairy kills humans.
I don't consume dairy because it makes me flatulent and upsets my stomach, but doesn't kill me. I think it's genetic: some ascendants and a sibling are lactose-intolerant, one child is lactose intolerant, another one is allergic (in this case, I think more to do with cow proteins than lactose). Spouse had an attack of arthritis, severely cut down on dairy products as part of therapy, seems to have worked.

On the other hand, none of us have celiac's disease. We seek extra gluten and love it.

For others, dairy is a staple of the diet. I am happy for them, may they fart their way to oblivion.

Take care.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I don't consume dairy because it makes me flatulent and upsets my stomach, but doesn't kill me. I think it's genetic: some ascendants and a sibling are lactose-intolerant, one child is lactose intolerant, another one is allergic (in this case, I think more to do with cow proteins than lactose). Spouse had an attack of arthritis, severely cut down on dairy products as part of therapy, seems to have worked.

On the other hand, none of us have celiac's disease. We seek extra gluten and love it.

For others, dairy is a staple of the diet. I am happy for them, may they fart their way to oblivion.

Take care.
Correct, there is a segment of the population that cannot consume dairy because they are lactose intolerant.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Correct, there is a segment of the population that cannot consume dairy because they are lactose intolerant.
Being lactose intolerant doesn’t mean you can’t consume it at all. It just means that you have a set limit before you start to have symptoms. It is not the same as an allergy. I am intolerant. I can have dairy, but I have to watch how much I have.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 AM

21,850 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Being lactose intolerant doesn’t mean you can’t consume it at all. It just means that you have a set limit before you start to have symptoms. It is not the same as an allergy. I am intolerant. I can have dairy, but I have to watch how much I have.
Or just take a lactase enzyme supplement.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes correct, every person has varying degrees of intolerance.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 PM

91 posts, read 59,133 times
Quote:
I didn't see anything in that article about how dairy kills humans. Also, I'd argue that veganism kills more total animals. Should we forget about all the rodent, bird and insect deaths? Is a cow life somehow more valuable than a bird, rodent, or insect life?
Rodents, birds, & insects aren't killed in the meat, dairy, & egg industries? You think pesticides & rodent traps haven't been used on & around the feed that's given to livestock? If you want to stuff your (probably overweight) face with the carcasses & secretions of tortured animals that's your prerogative. But at least be honest enough to admit your true motive instead of pretending to be concerned about insects. Just quit with all the lame ass excuses, you're not fooling anyone. And while you keep trying to rationalize your food choices, defenseless animals keep getting brutalized & killed because you don't want to give up bacon cheeseburgers or whatever crap you eat. I'm not just talking about you personally, but all the others of your ilk. "Lions though." "Cavemen though." "Plants though." "Insects though." We vegans hear the same "arguments " over & over & over & over. It's beyond tiresome.

I'm sure once the moderators read this post I'll be kicked off CD. That's fine because if I read one more post like Diesel350z's I'll probably vomit uncontrollably. Instead of wasting my time on this drivel I'll go make some extra donations to PETA, Mercy For Animals, & Animal Defense League.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Yes correct, every person has varying degrees of intolerance.
I am totally allergic to dairy products. It's the protein in the dairy. But I would eat it (cheese) and drink it (milk) if I could. It's a nutritious food and a lack of it is going to make it harder for you to get enough vitamin B2. You'd better eat a lot of meat, fish, green vegetables, and eggs if you're not able to consume dairy products. Of course, you'll be missing out on calcium too.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
Rodents, birds, & insects aren't killed in the meat, dairy, & egg industries? You think pesticides & rodent traps haven't been used on & around the feed that's given to livestock? If you want to stuff your (probably overweight) face with the carcasses & secretions of tortured animals that's your prerogative. But at least be honest enough to admit your true motive instead of pretending to be concerned about insects. Just quit with all the lame ass excuses, you're not fooling anyone. And while you keep trying to rationalize your food choices, defenseless animals keep getting brutalized & killed because you don't want to give up bacon cheeseburgers or whatever crap you eat. I'm not just talking about you personally, but all the others of your ilk. "Lions though." "Cavemen though." "Plants though." "Insects though." We vegans hear the same "arguments " over & over & over & over. It's beyond tiresome.

I'm sure once the moderators read this post I'll be kicked off CD. That's fine because if I read one more post like Diesel350z's I'll probably vomit uncontrollably. Instead of wasting my time on this drivel I'll go make some extra donations to PETA, Mercy For Animals, & Animal Defense League.
I love this post and have waited for years for someone to show up who feels and reacts as I do.

There was a time when you might be punished by the mods, but nowadays it is much more acceptable to have these views. People do need to be educated about the truth of factory farming, but the truth is carefully hidden. However, the damage to the environment may not be repairable at this point. It's really a looming disaster and people don't want to face it.

Selfish, stupid and shortsighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss