Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Drink only hard-liquor, it gets you "enlightened" faster and has less crud in it, like junky carbs/sugar.
Don't eat and just drink and you'll get "enlightened" real fast!
I'm not recommending anyone do that. Getting out of Cuban jail would probably be quite costly and they don't take credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 06:23 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Ohhhhh... they got some good rum in Cuba.
They've got to have some diet colas so you can stay sort of on track.

AI food is often not that great. A few times I've looked at the dinner offering and wasn't impressed.
Said "Let's get a cab" and went to one of the local places in town where they didn't speak English.
I know some really authentic places in Cozumel... surely you can find out (or already know) about something similar in Cuba.
I also know a place in Cozumel where they'll give you a really good margarita or mojito that's as big as your head. ....
Oh I would love their rum! It tastes pretty bad with soda though. Diet coke would be nice but would will see what else rum will pair with. I remember the last time, on the last day, they sent a small Tortuga Rum cake as "thank you" for visiting us to our room. That cake was....hm, heaven!

Getting a cab an going out to eat sounds like a nice change from the same old resort food.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have found that when food is abundant, such as on a cruise ship (or I imagine at your resort), it is easy to pick and choose good food choices. There will most likely be a lot of seafood and fruit, since those things are abundant in the islands.

Steer clear of the pina coladas and other fruit juice drinks, which are loaded with sugar and carbs. Stick to simple drinks, like vodka and lime, rum and Diet Coke, or white wine.
thank you! yes. Love their fruits, especially papaya/mango/pineapple.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, hope you have a wonderful time!
i am so looking forward to this. Its been so cold where I live since almost Halloween. It would be nice to feel the warmth of the sun on face and sand on toes.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotedelamancha View Post
Stick to low calorie alcoholic drinks. You can enjoy yourself just make sure that you're waiting for your stomach to really signal you that you are hungry and then go and enjoy yourself...hard question honestly.
totally! usually there are people roaming with mimosas in trays all over the place. I should look awaaaayyy.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:03 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
This past November I was on a 7-day cruise in Hawaii. Usually I have no problem maintaining my weight on these cruises - they're focused on nature and there's a lot of hiking, swimming, etc. This time I apparently didn't climb enough mountains to make up for having dessert at lunch AND dinner. And then I came home to Christmas and Thanksgiving.

We're talking about a 4-lb. weight gain, which is no great tragedy and I've lost almost all of it, but here's what I did to keep my calorie consumption reasonable and still enjoy myself:

1. As others have mentioned, don't imbibe the cocktails with sugary mixers on a regular basis. I think I had one margarita- I love margaritas- but stuck mostly with wine. It helps that I get migraines if I overdo alcohol. I alternate glasses of wine with refills of water. Also, overdoing alcohol can weaken your willpower and you eat more.

2. I stuck to fish or the vegetarian option at nearly every meal. The exception was a luau (which they told us is more properly called a pa'ina)- how can you NOT eat the pork that's been cooked underground for hours? It was delicious. At buffets I piled on the salads and green vegetables with very little dressing.

3. Avoid fried, fatty, etc. foods. One morning the breakfast special was Spam- considered a delicacy in Hawaii- served with white rice and scrambled eggs. I ordered a veggie omelet instead!

4. With plated meals you don't have to eat everything on the plate. Tell them to hold the white rice, potatoes, etc. or just don't eat them.

5. Stay active. Swim, walk, use the gym- whatever works. Don't just hang on the beach and bake.

Have fun! I've been enjoying traveling in warmer climates in the winter since my DH died- he had health problems and wasn't comfortable in hot climates. The Galapagos are up next, in March.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I actually don't make much effort at weight control when I'm on vacation. That's just how it goes, especially on cruises and at resorts. I do try to keep myself busy so that I am not eating all of the time.

I might check out the gym occasionally.

Re: alcohol, I agree with tikyul, hard liquor is the way to go. I was at my skinniest when I was actively drinking. Drinking shots, without sodas, juices, syrups, etc., kept me slim. I would pee everything out the next morning.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One morning the breakfast special was Spam- considered a delicacy in Hawaii- served with white rice and scrambled eggs.
Would've been better with Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes with a Mornay sauce, Served in a Provençale Manner with Shallots and Aubergines, garnished with Truffle Paté, Brandy and a Fried egg on top.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
(Spam) Would've been better with Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes with a Mornay sauce, Served in a Provençale Manner with Shallots and Aubergines, garnished with Truffle Paté, Brandy and a Fried egg on top.
When I found that one of the passengers was the brother of the head chef for the cruise company I suggested that he tell his brother to challenge the chefs to come up with some "nouveau" way to serve Spam.

If it were served the way you suggested I'd eat the lobster and shrimp and leave the Spam on the plate!

Old 01-06-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If it were served the way you suggested I'd eat the lobster and shrimp and leave the Spam on the plate!
I'd rather have it with baked beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss