Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 07:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,915,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Have too much and you'll be running to the bathroom!
But nothing compares to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjgaa5j_LE

I ate half of a small bag of those things once and it was not pretty. I cannot imagine how bad this would be.
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the gummies made you sick because they're made from some nasty stuff (refuse from slaughtered pigs) See:

Here's the gross truth about how gummy candies are made
https://www.mic.com/articles/153670/...animal-cruelty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 07:54 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,271,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the gummies made you sick because they're made from some nasty stuff (refuse from slaughtered pigs) See:

Here's the gross truth about how gummy candies are made
https://www.mic.com/articles/153670/...animal-cruelty
I don't eat those things at because I learned the hard way that they'll make ya poop like the dickens if you have too many.
I'm surprised the Beast didn't just up and explode like Mr. Creosote.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,040,773 times
Quote:
My favorite breakfast is Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage patties, grits, sliced tomatoes, wheat toast, coffee. When they're available I'll boil a bag of fresh cranberries and make juice. Tofu scrambled is good, too, with lots of veggies and sliced tomatoes. But my real weakness is homefries, especially with chili peppers.
Ugh, no, it's not. Try this instead. It is simply amazing. The first time I ever had it was at a vegan restaurant. If the restaurant hadn't been vegan, I would've sworn that the waitress had given me the wrong order. I now buy it by the bottle and use it at home. Even my wife swears by it and she's not vegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-12AZ3ddNWE

Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,446,040 times
Quote:
Morningstar Farms has recently begun offering eggless, vegan versions of most of their offerings. Had you not heard? Forbes article:

MorningStar Farms Is Making The Transition From Vegetarian To Vegan
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetfo.../#150fb66c44a0
They do offer a selection of vegan options. But the ones you specified that you eat and enjoy most, are not vegan.

The ones you specified you eat and enjoy most are also incredibly UNhealthy, yet you switched to xylitol, you claimed, because you heard it was a healthier option. So eating unhealthy non-vegan foods is your preference, but you claim to be vegan and interested in healthy choices.

Perhaps this is why you feel you need to lose weight. You're eating like crap, and denying it to yourself.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Ugh, no, it's not. Try this instead. It is simply amazing. The first time I ever had it was at a vegan restaurant. If the restaurant hadn't been vegan, I would've sworn that the waitress had given me the wrong order. I now buy it by the bottle and use it at home. Even my wife swears by it and she's not vegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-12AZ3ddNWE
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Their website has a search process for local markets and it's available here. Can't wait to try it. I do like scrambled tofu but this might be nice, too!

Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,195,810 times
Re: Xylitol - this is GREAT stuff, and I have been using it for several years now. I originally started using it for my dry mouth syndrome (it increases saliva), but it also cleared up mouth/gum problems. I also read it is a fantastic prebiotic. And for most people will not affect blood glucose, so it is a great sugar substitute since it looks and tastes exactly like sugar. It is totally different from other sugar substitutes. The trick is, don't use huge amounts in your food, or it will cause gastric distress. It has never given me any problem and I have a very sensitive stomach/bowels.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Re: Xylitol - this is GREAT stuff, and I have been using it for several years now. I originally started using it for my dry mouth syndrome (it increases saliva), but it also cleared up mouth/gum problems. I also read it is a fantastic prebiotic. And for most people will not affect blood glucose, so it is a great sugar substitute since it looks and tastes exactly like sugar. It is totally different from other sugar substitutes. The trick is, don't use huge amounts in your food, or it will cause gastric distress. It has never given me any problem and I have a very sensitive stomach/bowels.
Oh, that's great. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I've experienced the gastric distress of sugar alcohols (which include xylitol) firsthand. I am downright addicted to Icebreakers mints. I learned fairly quickly "portion control" regarding those mints.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've experienced the gastric distress of sugar alcohols (which include xylitol) firsthand. I am downright addicted to Icebreakers mints. I learned fairly quickly "portion control" regarding those mints.
One of my friends decided to enjoy some Icebreakers on a transpacific flight. Needless to say, the flight was less than enjoyable. Many people already get more gassy on long flights, but that one was especially unpleasant. That said, it is a little sad that certain gummy bears are no longer for sale on Amazon. Those reviews were some of the best/most hilarious reads.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,044 times
I'll be 67 next month. I hate to think of myself as elderly but I guess I'm not middle-aged anymore unless I plan to live to age 134.

Over the years, the changes I've made to keep my a1c and my cholesterol at reasonable levels have helped me lose weight and keep it off. I do over an hour of cardio in the gym every day, too. My diet is heavy on vegetables and spices, moderate on fruit. I eat a decent serving of meat maybe once a week and use wheatberries, quinoa, beans, nuts, etc. the rest of the time. I do like egg whites and fat-free Greek yogurt. I rarely eat bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. It helps that I live alone so there are certain things I banish from the house. Last month I was visiting family over the Christmas holidays. Between the cookies (I can't turn down anything with frosting) and the pretzels my DB ad DSIL brought out at night while we watched TV I put on a few pounds. It always takes more time to get rid of them than it does to gain them!

Over a year ago I bought a digital scale that works with a smartphone app, stores the history and creates graphs- VERY motivating.

It saddens me to see my former HS classmates posting jokes on FB about how overweight and out-of-shape they are. I know I'm fortunate to have good health in the first place- some meds can make it very hard to lose weight and conditions such as arthritis can impair exercise- but it takes work, too, and some people aren't willing to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss