Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,163,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
66 years old, and I’ve lost 35 pounds since starting IF 16:8 last July. What started out as a way to lose weight, surprisingly turned into a lifestyle change that is easily sustainable and flexible for me. It requires nothing more than following a clock: “it’s not 11 yet, I’ll wait” or “it’s after 7, too late”. Those are the only restrictions I have and the times are changed if I need to eat earlier or later with family or friends. The first few weeks took more effort and discipline as I mentally and physically adjusted to the change, but now it’s become effortless.
The clock restrictions help me too. I was surprised at how often I ate out of habit and not because I was hungry. It was hard waiting till 10 to eat anything at first, but after a few weeks of drinking a non-caloric beverage instead which made me forget about food for another hour or two, I found that it wasn't real hunger in the mornings.

The evenings were worse. One tiny little noodge in my stomach and I'd run to the kitchen no matter what time it was, and it usually turned into a gorge on highly refined carbs. Now, like you, I look at the clock and if it's after 6 I know I've had plenty of food and I can wait. And the noodge goes away in a few minutes.

I had forgotten how to listen to my stomach/body, so the clock was important for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,790 times
I'm 55 years old and work out 3 to 5 times a week at 24 hour fitness. My problem is eating in the middle of the night.
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this behavior?

Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,163,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh877 View Post
I'm 55 years old and work out 3 to 5 times a week at 24 hour fitness. My problem is eating in the middle of the night.
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this behavior?
Maybe take melatonin or l-tryptophan or something to make you sleep all night?

Handcuff yourself to the headboard with a lock that's timed to unlock only when it's time to get up?

Old 02-01-2020, 04:26 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
One of the nice things about 16/8 is that it is easy to adjust your eating times.

If I finish my last meal at 3:15pm, and want to eat a bit later into the afternoon the next day, I just extend my 16-hour window of no food for a while longer.....maybe eating breakfast at 8am as opposed to 7:15am, then I can finish my last meal by 4pm as opposed to 3:15pm.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,916,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Maybe take melatonin or l-tryptophan or something to make you sleep all night?

Handcuff yourself to the headboard with a lock that's timed to unlock only when it's time to get up?
I used to take melatonin. It works. Just get strawberry melatonin, not the kind mixed with valarian root, which is nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss