Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 06:06 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times

Advertisements

If a given diet has one or more of these characteristics, consider it a fad diet. If your favorite diet happens to qualify, keep calm and don't get mad.

1. Lack of consistent and compelling scientific evidence
2. Lack of options to allow individual preference of food choice and macronutrient distribution.
3. Universally issues mandatory foods to consume and avoid.
4. Extremes in macronutrient restriction without objective clinical justification.
5. Heavy reliance on user testimonies and appeals to emotion instead of research data
6. Heavy reliance on appeals to authority (doctors, celebrities, authorities, chiropractors)
7. Promises ease and simplicity, but lacks sustainability
8. Promises quick results, doesn't mention risks or caveats
9. Incomplete provision of essential nutrition
10. Requires the purchase of special/proprietary products of supplements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 06:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
11. Way too much thinking.

I lost 70 lbs doing what I'm doing.

22:2 IF to create a caloric deficit - or stay even currently, because I already lost the weight.
Low carb to keep blood sugars in check.
Regular HIIT workouts.

That's it. Uncomplicated and easy to stick to because carbs are easy to count and everything else is more or less on a schedule.
IMO, structure is highly underrated.

Last edited by eaton53; 02-02-2020 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 10:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
11. Way too much thinking.

I lost 70 lbs doing what I'm doing.

22:2 IF to create a caloric deficit - or stay even currently, because I already lost the weight.
Low carb to keep blood sugars in check.
Regular HIIT workouts.

That's it. Uncomplicated and easy to stick to because carbs are easy to count and everything else is more or less on a schedule.
IMO, structure is highly underrated.
never told you congrats on your loss! 70 lbs for me too...been three years and counting.

back to the topic,

people underrate the need for "individual preference of food choice and macro distribution". If weight loss and management is supposed to be for life that needs to be taken into consideration. that is why any diet that restricts my ability to choose from a variety of food groups won't work for me.

there is no such thing as "effortless weight loss". Undergoing a lifestyle change - regardless of which diet you choose - ISN'T effortless. Each diet is going to essentially reprogram you. You have to decide how you'd like to be reprogrammed. For me, my body had to become accustomed to smaller portions and less garbage.

Also, all diets require patience and adherence.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
never told you congrats on your loss! 70 lbs for me too...been three years and counting.
Thanks, riaelise!
I'm taking after you by making exercise a cornerstone of my maintenance plan. I'm a big time believer!
The more I stick to my workout schedule, the easier it is to keep my weight constant.
Every workout is a class, so they're 100% scheduled. If a class is on the schedule, I never miss it.

Like I said above, structure is another very important component of my plan.
Eat here, sleep here, work here, exercise here. That's my life five days a week.
My classes are treated like like doctor's appointments.
I will not have a doctor's appointment on a day that I have a class. Monday and Wednesday only.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Congrats to BOTH of you!!! I love reading the different ways people have success staying healthy and losing weight, especially maintaining those losses.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 AM

289 posts, read 248,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
If a given diet has one or more of these characteristics, consider it a fad diet. If your favorite diet happens to qualify, keep calm and don't get mad.

2. Lack of options to allow individual preference of food choice and macronutrient distribution.
4. Extremes in macronutrient restriction without objective clinical justification.
5. Heavy reliance on user testimonies and appeals to emotion instead of research data
6. Heavy reliance on appeals to authority (doctors, celebrities, authorities, chiropractors)
Yes 99% of diets fit into one off those ten points, way of the world humans looking for a quick easy answer. People can get very defensive about their diet cult like.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:49 PM

289 posts, read 248,542 times
One other point, made necessary to mention due to almost by-the-minute posts in this forum; "keto" diets and "Intermittent Fasting" have no benefit in regard to fat loss over a consistent, simple calorie deficit. Both can work to help reduce body fat, but that's only because they present just another way to limit calorie intake. There's no need to use some exclusionary eating plan, or restrict your meals to some specific "eating window."

Old 02-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Both can work to help reduce body fat, but that's only because they present just another way to limit calorie intake. There's no need to use some exclusionary eating plan, or restrict your meals to some specific "eating window."
It's a lot easier to limit intake when you don't have much time to do it.

I have two hours.
One of the things I do almost every day is make myself a mega salad.
It won't fit in a regular bowl, so it goes in a large mixing bowl.

Needless to say, it takes a LONG time to eat this thing. That's all it takes to make about half my time go poof.
It's a ridiculously simple concept, but it works. The "One Bowl" method in another thread, that's also very simple.
Use a smaller plate... that's very simple too. Another simple thing that works.

The principle of KISS applies to a lot of things not just Engineering.

Quote:
The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design, and that unnecessary complexity should be avoided.
In technical terms, a diet is really nothing more than another system that requires managing. See above.

Quote:
There's a term for this too.... Analysis Paralysis.
Quote:
Analysis paralysis is the state of over-analyzing (or over-thinking) a situation so that a decision or action is never taken, in effect paralyzing the outcome.

Last edited by eaton53; 02-03-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
16/8 and keto'ish, that is what currently works best for me.

I am open minded and willing to switch diets when one gets old.......but all the other ways of eating definitely do not work as well for me as my current fad, YMMV!!!!

Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It's a lot easier to limit intake when you don't have much time to do it.

There's a term for this too.... Analysis Paralysis.
I think this infographic probably sums it up best

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss